Should You Change Crossover Capacitors – The Great Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
That would depend how well the test was actually done. The statement... "done the test like Amir suggested"... is open to a very broad range of possibilities.

(That's my last answer for tonight. Very late here.)

What if they said, "I've performed the test exactly how Amir has outlined, here are all the pictures etc confirming that, and here are all the results"?

It does often (not aways thankfully) seem those who consider themselves more knowledgeable are the ones that are the most determined to dismiss, ridicule, attempt to undermine those who say they hear a difference, without, it seems, being willing to listen, discuss, accept the possibility that they are hearing a difference that has it's basis in science, the way audio circuits behave and not always some cognative bias.
:confused: :eek:
Word salad.

Word salad - Wikipedia

Word salad
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A word salad, or schizophasia, is a "confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases",[1] most often used to describe a symptom of a neurological or mental disorder. The term schizophasia is used in particular to describe the confused language that may be evident in schizophrenia.[2] The words may or may not be grammatically correct, but are semantically confused to the point that the listener cannot extract any meaning from them.

Hi, sorry for my English, I just want to share my experience

For me the measurements are important so I identified more with the philosophy of the ASR forum, but as this forum is ruthless with many people I decided to better register in this forum in which you can discuss topics that are simply prohibited by its leader in ASR forum.

This weekend I modified half of my amplifier to get out of doubt and form my own opinion on this, it is important to say that I am not trying to convince anyone, this is just my experience.
After making the modification I can tell the difference between one channel and the other, I will not use audiophile adjectives but there is something that changes between one channel and the other what makes me like it more.

The conclusion that I draw from this experiment is that there may be things that the current measurements are not detecting so it would be interesting to see research on these topics, for example soudstage or harshness, etc.

IMG_7375.jpg - Google Drive

Last edited:
Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
Hello,

Since you have modified one channel, how would you like to try something similar to the test I mentioned a few posts back?

There is a phrase, "a change is as good as a rest" and I think quite often a change can be perceived as an improvement even when it's not, at least for a short while, and perhaps it's better to get used to the new sound before passing judgement on whether it sounds better to you.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-09-27 18-14-01.png
    Screenshot at 2021-09-27 18-14-01.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
There is a relatively simple test almost anyone could do so long as their system is reasonably well balanced. First use a mono source and set up your speakers as symetrically as you can, nearfield might make things easier, sit in the sweet spot and check that you can get a stable, focused image exactly in the centre. The material shouldn't matter too much, preferably something you like. :)

The second stage is simply to change one capacitor in one speaker (leaving the other speaker untouched) and listen for any changes, particularly in the quality and position of the image, including widening, narrowing, shifting and smearing.

Hi Jazz Man

To be honest I did this test already with the two modified amplifiers (my system is bi-amped) and I noticed more differences but I did not wanted to write them because I was afraid somebody would tell me I was crazy :).
These differences had to do with the soundstage of my system, there is some thing different.

As I mentioned, I don't want to generate more controversy because I do not have objective measurements to demonstrate what I can hear, there is no soudstage measurement so all this remains subjective.
For me this experiment changed some pre-established ideas

Last edited:
Personally, I’ve had it in general with ignorant uneducated people that are very sure of themselves
based on ignorance and lack of basic skills in following logic.

Certainly.

Those with substantial experience in audio design/building/listening know very well that capacitors can have
real effects on the sound beyond their linear distortion, whether they are in speakers or amplifiers.
This is simply one of the "facts of life" in audio.

Last edited:
Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
Hi Jazz Man

To be honest I did this test already with the two modified amplifiers (my system is bi-amped) and I noticed more differences but I did not wanted to write them because I was afraid somebody would tell me I was crazy :).
These differences had to do with the soundstage of my system, there is some thing different.
It does seem to be a very sensitive test, I think it's due to differences between the channels and the way they disrupt ITD information. If the distortions in both channels were identical I'm guessing the image would stay focused and centred although I'm not sure the clarity of auditory objects wouldn't suffer regardless possibly because of distortions to the transient information affecting the timbre.
As I mentioned, I don't want to generate more controversy because I do not have objective measurements to demonstrate what I can hear, there is no soudstage measurement so all this remains subjective.
For me this experiment changed some pre-established ideas
I'm not aware of any way to measure soundstage.

Last edited:
...His logic is faulty and the burden of proof is for the claimant to back up the claim made, namely that capacitor sound is inaudible...
I never said that capacitor sound is inaudible. What I said is that it has yet to be proven to be audible. Big difference. But you either don't understand that or just don't to want to recognize it.

First of all he claimed there was no known mechanism that could cause any nonlinearity in capacitors. ...
Nonsense. I never said that. This is an outright lie.

Then he claimed that nonlinearities would not affect the signal. ...
Nor did I say that either. Another lie.

Now he claims that the intermodulation products caused by the nonlinearities in capacitors are inaudible.
Yet, another lie. I said it has not been proven. You still don't seem to understand the difference.

To get to this conclusion does not need any blind testing, just logic. ...
And if you really believe that blind testing isn't necessary to get to conclusions on speaker performance differences and 'logic' is sufficient, then you have lost any credibility whatsoever on the topic. However, if you can convince other people like Harman, for example, they might pay you a lot money since they could save millions of dollars by not doing blind testing on their products anymore.

Finally, you have lost any credibility that you might have had by posting these multiple statements that are not true. Sorry, but you don't get to make up things and attribute them to other people. It doesn't work that way.

What if they said, "I've performed the test exactly how Amir has outlined, here are all the pictures etc confirming that, and here are all the results"?

I would be interested in seeing it. But whether I would accept any conclusions or not depends on the details. I can't answer that without see it first.

Someone simply saying that "I've performed the test exactly how Amir has outlined" is not sufficient enough. Anyone can say that, but it doesn't mean it's true. I need to see what they have done.

Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
Ok, thanks I can understand that. To see what they have done you'd really need to be there. Amir's video describes a test for people to do for themselves for their own interest and to find out if they are really hearing a difference, not to provide any scientifically acceptable "proof", that requires more stringency, something that no one here is able to do.

Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
It seems timely to repost this
There’s a very good reason why you won’t find many such studies. The usually fall under the oversight and funding of a notoriously underfunded psychology department and measuring perception and specifically perception recognition is a complicated field, to make it worse performing randomized double blind studies is cumbersome/expensive. Here's an interesting discussion (typically from a tech institution) on the subject:

https://www.kth.se/social/files/57c...to the methods for perception measurement.pdf

I don't know if science would go so far as saying that everything that has been/is/could be measured could be perceived and vice versa. That would wreak havoc on f.i. medical science that still has a long way to measure stimuli like pain or provide measured data or 'proof' on such a common occurrence as migraines. There we can still only conclude they exist through anecdotal evidence and conjecture. I also think it's a fallacy to use the negative (lack of proof) as proof of the positive; this is akin to the "so you can't prove you did not beat your wife" type of argument.

Science does not know its debt to imagination.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Which was a reply to this post
What I am referring to is the fact that these suggested capacitor changes cannot be shown to change the output from the speakers. Assuming, of course, that the same value capacitor is used.

That is saying you cannot measure any change. And if you cannot measure it you cannot hear it. Pretty simple.

But I'm glad you brought up the subject of randomized double blind testing. That is exactly what is necessary to prove once and for all if these capacitor changes can be heard and make any difference. To the best of my knowledge such tests have never been performed.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm not aware of any way to measure soundstage.

IACC ( Inter Aural Coherence Coefficient) implemented within Acourate is one.
Based on works of Blauert, Braasch and Griesinger.

It define a value over 4 time windows of importance (10ms, 20ms, 80ms and 'late').

To my knowledge it is inline with the most recent research about H(uman)A(uditory)S(ystem) behavior and psychoacoustic.

Status
Not open for further replies.