Shipwrecked? Which speaker brand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you could only buy speaker drivers from one manufacturer for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Include pricing in your decision.

I suspect SB and Scanspeak will be among those all-around well performing brands. Who else and why? Tell us why you like brand x, y or z.

Best,

Erik

Hi,

I'd have to go with Dayton, the best bang for buck drivers (some of them).

Some of my favourite designs to recommend to others use them, like
Zaphs ZDT3.5s, undefinitions Cores and Sunflowers, Bagbys MTMs etc.

They do some very nice subwoofer drivers too.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'd have to go with Dayton, the best bang for buck drivers (some of them).

Some of my favourite designs to recommend to others use them, like
Zaphs ZDT3.5s, undefinitions Cores and Sunflowers, Bagbys MTMs etc.

They do some very nice subwoofer drivers too.

rgds, sreten.

That's interesting. The tweeters seem stuck in the 80's though, do they make any you really like?

Best,

Erik

That's interesting. The tweeters seem stuck in the 80's though, do they make any you really like?

Best,

Erik

Have you heard an RS28A? They are very clean and wonderful. Definitely not an '80s driver. The ND28F-6 is another commonly overlooked gem. I also have a set of the AMT1-4 that are now NLA- I'll be using them soon...

While I like SS, and their quality and sound, the price can be steep to enter. I think for a company that has a vast stock of drivers for many applications, honestly, Tang Band really fits my bill. Cheap to $alty, and every flavor in between. I've never used a TB driver and not liked it.

Later,
Wolf

Have you heard an RS28A? They are very clean and wonderful. Definitely not an '80s driver. The ND28F-6 is another commonly overlooked gem. I also have a set of the AMT1-4 that are now NLA- I'll be using them soon...

While I like SS, and their quality and sound, the price can be steep to enter. I think for a company that has a vast stock of drivers for many applications, honestly, Tang Band really fits my bill. Cheap to $alty, and every flavor in between. I've never used a TB driver and not liked it.

Later,
Wolf

Great info, this is why I'm asking. :)

I have not heard it at all. My experience, subject to new and updated experience, has been when I say 80's tweeters is that lack of the last octave, which the RS28A's have in the specs. My experience so far says that the most open sounding tweeters don't have this turn. On the other hand, with the right crossover it may be an ideal thing. I'm open minded, without your input I would probably have dismissed the Dayton tweeters entirely. That's the point of this thread. :)

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Great info, this is why I'm asking. :)

I have not heard it at all. My experience, subject to new and updated experience, has been when I say 80's tweeters is that lack of the last octave, which the RS28A's have in the specs. My experience so far says that the most open sounding tweeters don't have this turn. On the other hand, with the right crossover it may be an ideal thing. I'm open minded, without your input I would probably have dismissed the Dayton tweeters entirely. That's the point of this thread. :)

Best,

Erik

RS28A/F are made by Usher, with 3 shorting paths in the motors. This is cutting edge. The RS28A dip from 18-20k you speak of you likely can't hear, but if you wanted to comp it- bypass your series resistor padding with a 1.5uF cap, and it will allow the top octave to be lifted by no attenuation. The A is one of my favorites, and it is a very open-sounding tweeter. It's used everywhere with good reason. You can use it to 1.2k if you use the right xover too.

Do you know many tweeters that can actually do that and keep their composure? You can likely count them on one hand.

Later,
Wolf

Beyma or Faital

Beyma products cover the widest range of speaker designs, but I own more Faital drivers.

I would start with 96db/watt speakers to run off of solar cells or the acid from pineapples.
TPL-150H AMT tweeter
12P80Nd midbass
18P80Nd - woofer pair

Faital is missing a traditional dome tweeter without "OEM special order"
HF108 1" compression driver with Tractrix horn
12FH500 midbass
18FH500 - woofer pair

I am not very active speaker builder, but since we have choice of only one speaker unit brand, I will choose one that provides variety. I mean, I'd rather have fun trying various things than having one optimal.

So... my choice is... ( I am no active speaker builder ) the one that provides high end units, high efficiency pro units, full range, coaxial, etc... SEAS?

This is actually a very difficult question for me. My current absolute favorite drivers are Mundorf AMT's. However, no midranges or woofers are in that range.

I personally would probably go with Scanspeak for the range, between the "classic" to "Illuminator" range I can almost always find some way to put together a speaker at some price point. I want to say SB, with an even wider, and overall less expensive range, but I've never heard a single SB driver. If I knew that SB really is as good as claimed, I'd jump on them. :)

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.