Shaded Array - Twelve 3” Full Range drivers with 35Hz-25KHz & high output

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Paper cones sound like paper and metal sound like metal, no matter what you do

Except when they don’t.

Only 1 counter example needed. Alpair 7.3 (metal) vrs Alpair 7p (paper). The A7 broke the stereotyped metal sound, especially when i finished with them. And the paper cone driver sounded like you “expect” a metal cone to sound.

To take that further the (paper) A12pw has voicing that matches better with the metal cone than the paper.

There is a tendency for drivers to take on a sound related to the material they are made of but their execution is very important.

I have heard lots of metal cones with a “signature” metal sound, the MCMs i played with in the late 1990s, The small Founteks (FE87), and Jordans (JX92 and Eikona), the JX150 didn’t really suffer. And the poly TB W5-1611 has a plasticy top end.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Aah nice, I opened this thread to ask how this CBT array compares to your other open baffle speakers but I see you've already answered that.

If you had to rank between the BG ribbon array, the Bitches Brew, this CBT one and your other open baffle speaker that had won at the competition (unfortunately I forget its name), how would you roughly compare them? I would assume it would roughly be ribbon > OBs >>> CBT?

Part of my reason for asking is because open baffles have a reputation for "sounding really good" but ribbons have a reputation for sounding the "best". I'd imagine the directivity of the ribbons would make them image a bit different than the OBs but perhaps closer to this CBT. What are your personal opinions/comparisons between them?
My personal SUBJECTIVE ranking in order:

1) Bitches Brew
2) Live Edge Dipoles
3) Bohlender-Graebener Ribbons <-> Shaded Array 12x3.5" - these are roughly in the same league, although still very different from each other

The B-G ribbons (which I just sold) served me very well for 15 years. They sounded great. I put them in sealed enclosures. If I was going to try them again I'd do dipole instead. (Dipole would make a significant difference.)

They had a lot of wonderful qualities, my main frustration with them was that the top one to two octaves had narrow dispersion and it did not have the level of clarity in detail that you would get from a ribbon tweeter, or other kind of very well designed tweeter. They sounded a little "midrangey." That "signature sound" I mentioned earlier.

I get what you're saying about ribbons having a reputation for being "the best" but they don't do bass well; integrating them with subs is hard; and the problem with the BGs as I said was they had a bit of a "plastic film" sound. I thought the Fountek 3.5" drivers had a better top octave.

If I had a bank of ribbon tweeters to cover the top octave, MAYBE matching them with the B-Gs would be even better. But that adds complexity and there are always things that could go wrong. You would lose some of the simplicity and elegance.

The Live Edge Dipoles have a huge soundstage, extremely good imaging, the kind of razor sharp detail and holographic transparency one expects from a Beryllium tweeter, and an incredibly consistent radiation pattern. If you're standing out in the hallway or the next room, the Live Edge Dipoles sound more like real music whereas the BG's sound more like speakers.

(Yes, I know that's not what you were expecting me to say.)

Keep in mind that each of these 4 systems were built around a MiniDSP 2x4HD DSP. Later I upgraded the Bitches Brew to Flex Eight which is better than the 2x4HD.

The Bitches Brews are similar to the Live Edge Dipoles overall with a lot of the same goals and advantages, but they are more powerful, more coherent, more seamless, kind of like the difference between a medium priced bourbon and a really expensive bourbon that is extremely smooth and has no aftertaste. They do everything just a little bit better.

So yes, I am saying that a compression horn coaxial pro 8" or 15" driver mounted on a slab of live edge wood, with the right DSP etc, can sound significantly better than a ribbon, at least in my personal opinion. I think there is a LOT to be said for a consistent well controlled radiation pattern and unfortunately that is not something that ribbons excel at.

Last edited:
@perrymarshall

First of all, thank you for the publication, explanation and details of this project. To the extent of my financial possibilities, I am acquiring components for the manufacture of the OB Bitches Brew and suddenly this LA appears, which has always been one of my challenges and I have some interesting projects in the pipeline. I must say that I am a carpenter who is fond of music and lately I have been eager to learn in order to be able to make my own units. Therefore, my knowledge of electronics, acoustics and other ingredients is very limited.

For this reason I am asking this question, at some point you mention that the Dayton PS95 units could be a good replacement for the Fountek FE85, as I live in Europe it is easier and cheaper for me to use the Dayton units.

Before I wanted to do a simulation with both units to compare, the result confused me because just as the simulation of the Founteck is close to the measurements, the Dayton seems to move away from said frequency response (I understand that the measurements have been made with the miniDSP correction ) So the question is, is the simulation with the Daytons considered good and will it all be a matter of playing with the miniDSP settings?

Attached is a screenshot of both simulations with VituixCAD.

View attachment 1305406

View attachment 1305408

Thanks again for sharing and enlightening.
No off axis information, each drivers needs full space simulation on baffle.

If you dropped in 12 copys of the same FRD
then no the model assumes they are all mounted on top of each other.

Center to center gets wider and wider for each driver.
So xyz coordinates must be set.

speakers are all same drivers so phase is same of course.
but center to center is farther apart so actual phase of
each driver be different. relative to the listening position you establish.
And phase needs to be correct for model to even be accurate.

otherwise you have factory FRD file.
Model thinks your on a Half space IEC test baffle.
And they are all magical mounted in same place.

Once you model it in full space on a skinny tiny baffle.
Youll find out how unmagical they are.
Then deal with the baffle step that results.
And then the magical cancelation from drivers mounted
millions of miles apart.
So your rolling off the top end to get rid of the cancellation.
From mounted so far apart.
Then find out that 1st crossovers wont fix it.
specially vertical
Maybe 2 or 3 drivers first order maybe would get.
For 12 speakers, center to center of your bottom to top driver.
probably stepper filter, The distance will justify how low
it needs to be in frequency.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for adding more ingredients, well let's see how all this fits into the final cake, as you suggested I have given coordinates to each unit, it is the first time I simulate this in VitixCAD and although the help gives a few touches on each topic I will surely I'm leaving something out again, I appreciate the notes and observations.

but let's see what we have advanced today, I have done the simulation with both units (Fountek and Dynaudio) although to avoid confusion I will only publish those from the main thread (Fountek) the results apart from the frequency response are not very different.

SA driver layout.png

I don't know where the unit width measurements are defined, now with the default width, the curve and position of the drivers in the lateral projection correspond to the model (I think so)

FOUNTEK FR58 Shaded Array layout.png

The box needs to be simulated for the port study but that will be at another time.

Un saludo!!!

Please note that this position has you listening to the bottom driver. XYZ is relevant to your listening axis. In most cases I put the tweeter center of a two-way at xyz=0. VCAD can be confusing. All of your drivers may have negative values, depending on the height.

Take a look at the "room" tab. It's extremely essential to helping you with this build in particular.

Reactions: 2 users
I was always fascinated with “How much juice can you squeeze out of a full range driver?”

In this design with twelve Fountek FE85 3.5” full range units, I managed to squeeze a lot of juice from small drivers, without a traditional crossover. This design achieves High-Definition transparency, deep imaging, excellent impulse and step response, flat phase response. The system comfortably handles 250 watts and plays very loud without distortion.

This design has unique feature: All 12 full range drivers receive 100% signal below 100Hz, sharing the load equally. With DSP EQ they have plenty of bass.

Above 100Hz they shift into Shaded Array mode. Above 500Hz the Constant Directivity radiation pattern is fully in force. This means spooky-good imaging all throughout the room.

View attachment 1304499

Lots of slam even with wide dynamic range percussion recordings.

Totally coherent sound as these full range drivers cover 9 octaves.

Extremely transparent, as the FE85s have very thin light aluminum cones and a light, airy signature sound.

View attachment 1304500

View attachment 1304501

I designed these based on Don Keele’s work, which is patented. I obtained Don's permission to build the design, and met him in person at the 2017 Parts Express competition where I showed them off.

A shaded array is a curved line array where each driver receives a unique signal level according to a Bessel function. This eliminates most of the lobing and comb filter effects of a line array. (Conventional line arrays are notorious for comb filtering effects. You have to use lots of tiny drivers in order to eliminate them.)

In auditoriums, shaded arrays ensure all seats get equal SPLs no matter how far from the speaker. In a home system, a shaded array with the hottest drivers near the floor results in equal SPLs whether you’re right next to the speaker or all the way across the room.

View attachment 1305064

When I invite people over to listen, I ask them to get up and walk around. They’re astonished that the sound level and image doesn’t change no matter where they are in the room. When I host listening parties with a dozen people, every seat in the house is great.

You can stand right next to one speaker and hear the other speaker clearly across the room with a nice stereo image.

The graph below is from Don Keel’s website, it shows even distribution across all frequencies for a shaded array with the hottest drivers in the center. In my design, the floor is the centerline through the middle, with floor reflections simulating the lower half of the array.

View attachment 1304503
Imagine a black dotted line running right across the middle of each heat map above. That dotted line is the floor of the room.

Put your couch on top of that floor and now you can visualize how the sound is distributed throughout the room from the Shaded CBT Array.

View attachment 1304504

This means the hottest drivers are the ones at the bottom, with the signal tapering off as you move up to the top of the array.

This design has an extra twist that I’ve never seen anywhere else, which is: All 12 full range drivers receive 100% signal strength below 100Hz, so they share the load equally.

I’ve mounted them in a DSP assisted bass reflex box. At the tuning frequency all drivers are working equally hard. But above 100Hz they progressively shift into Shaded Array mode and above 500Hz the Constant Directivity radiation pattern is fully in force.

This is the actual measured signal at the terminals of each driver:

View attachment 1304505

As you can see, at the tuning frequency of 43Hz, each driver shares exactly the same signal level, but around 100Hz the signals start to diverge, and at 10KHz driver #1 at the bottom gets 14dB more signal than driver #12 at the top.

The irregularities around 100Hz are due to varying resonant frequencies and impedance curves of each individual driver. This is a trivial issue in application. The Fountek driver has the following specs: FS 125Hz (in my measurements it was more like 110Hz), Qt 0.52, VAS 0.85 liter.

One thing that separates the men from the boys in speaker design is radiation pattern. I like "CBT Constant Beamwidth Transducer" Shaded Arrays because their distribution pattern of sound throughout the room creates superb imaging in every seat of the house. If you stand up and walk right up to one speaker, the apparent source of the sound recedes to somewhere a few feet behind the speaker. You can hear the left and right equally well anywhere you stand or sit.

Measurements

This is the system response in my room, average of 18 positions, mostly near the listening spot, with the EQ that sounds right after much tweaking:

View attachment 1304506
As you can see they deliver 35Hz-25KHZ. Of course at listener position in a real room, you want about 10dB more bass and that's exactly the case here.

Phase response is essentially flat above 80Hz:

View attachment 1304508
Most speakers butcher Impulse Response. Not these:

View attachment 1304510

Schematic:

This design requires an elaborate filtering network to provide each individual driver with the exactly correct drive signal according to Keel's Shaded Array methodology. Each driver has a Zobel network (6ohms + 13uF) which flattens the impedance and makes behavior more managable.

The wiring consists of three parallel sections of four drivers wired in series. Each driver starting with driver #4 and above also has an RC network which directs extra high frequency energy towards the bottom drivers and less HF energy to the top drivers.

View attachment 1304512

As you can see, drivers 1, 2 and 3 get 3dB extra signal above 1KHz, and drivers 10, 11 and 12 get 10-15dB less signal above 1KHz, with the intermediate drivers getting exactly proportional signals. I am very proud of the above family of curves.

View attachment 1304513

I used a MiniDSP 2x4HD to EQ these speakers flat. Above is the correction curve, which is absolutely necessary because without EQ the 3.5” drivers start rolling off below 150Hz.

The total system has roughly the same output capability of a quality 10” woofer in a bass reflex enclosure. The DSP boosts the signal the the 43Hz reflex tuning frequency and rolls off quickly below that, adding 6-10dB additional headroom at low frequencies. This is a critical aspect of the design, as a 6-10dB gain in LF dynamic range is not trivial.

I discuss this DSP technique in my AudioXpress article “The DSP Assisted Reflex.”

Port & Tuning Details

I used a flared 3” Precision Port from Parts Express. It is about 12” long and it tunes the 30 liter / 1.2 cubic foot box to 43Hz. The system cuts off sharply below 35Hz via DSP. These twelve drivers in a super-low-tuned reflex enclosure and DSP can collectively generate a lot of output, very similar strategy to the Bose 901 (which is an ingenious engineering design as I discuss in an AudioXpress sidebar, regardless of what opinions many audiophiles have about the execution.)

High Sensitivity

The midband SPL of these speakers is about 96dB. They have 14dB of boost at 43Hz and a similar amount of boost above 5KHz. Effectively they operate on average like a system with ~91dB sensitivity. Pretty efficient overall. The high efficiency adds to the slam and dynamic range.

These sound great and play quite loud with small low power tube amps.

Impedance

View attachment 1304516

They are easy for any amp to drive. You can see in this graph the port tuning frequency of 43Hz and the impedance is around 10 ohms at low frequencies and 4 ohms at high frequencies. These speakers are easy to drive.

Driver Choice
View attachment 1304517

The Fountek FE85 is an excellent full range driver. It has a 3/4” voice coil and very light cone assembly of less than 2 grams. It has a fabric surround which ideally matches the acoustic impedance of the aluminum cone and very smooth response. It has very good high frequency resolution, as good as many dome tweeters.

Individually they handle about 10 watts RMS, so with 12 units per channel and equal power distribution at low frequencies, this system has no problem putting out 110dB+ SPLs in a real room.

Fortunately the FE85 is still available. Plus many great alternative choices are available from Dayton, Tang Band, FaitalPro and many others. As long as you choose an 8 ohm unit, you won’t need to change any of the Shaded Array filter network values. However your DSP EQ will change and anyone with a DSP and a microphone can easily pull that off.

There is no need for FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filters as everything is very well behaved and there are no phase errors that you can’t correct with standard IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) DSP filters.

Cabinet details

The cabinets are 46” high, 7” wide and 14.75” deep. These are the sketches I gave to my carpenter Joseph Budka, who milled these on a CNC machine:

View attachment 1304518

View attachment 1304519

The drawing below shows the coordinates of each facing surface on the side panel that touches the front panel pieces, along with the angles of each facing surface.
View attachment 1304520

View attachment 1304521

How do they sound?

The stereo image is deep. The apparent sound source is about 2-3 feet behind the speakers, just as Don Keele’s Constant Beamwidth Transducer model predicts.

I’ve built LOTS of different designs, you can search my screen name on this forum to find more. These are one of the better systems I’ve made, successfully squeezing a great deal of performance out of 3.5” full range speakers.

Resolution is high definition and extremely detailed. The aluminum cones have a slight edge and if your amp is harsh or sounds grainy, that will come through.

“Shaking the house” and full range drivers don’t usually go together in the same sentence, but these deliver. They have a LOT more dynamic range than 99% of full range designs. The DSP Assisted Reflex means that even with songs like “Russia on Ice” by Porcupine Tree, which has a loud 34Hz pant leg flapping synthesizer late in the track, these have no problem shaking the house.

If I were to build these again, I would consider a more expensive high end driver with underhung voice coil. I would be tempted to choose a paper cone instead of aluminum, as the metal cones have a slight edge that can come off hard at times. The Dayton PS95 is a very good choice.

I would also consider an even larger array, using 16 or 18 drivers instead of 12.

VituixCad and MiniDSP 2x4HD files are attached in Zip files.

View attachment 1304522
I wrapped them 360 degrees with black grille cloth with an oak wood cap on the top. I used very dark wood stain that makes it almost black.

I took these to the Parts Express 2017 speaker design competition where I got a lot of questions from curious designers. (Coincidentally, the speaker that won the competition was a much more sophisticated 2-way Shaded Array design.)

I think shaded arrays are underrated and I encourage y'all to try a design for yourself!
Very interesting & clever design and build.
When you have multiple drivers in a series array, it is very important to have very high quality drivers, and never over-drive them.
If just one driver becomes faulty (not open circuit), like 'distorted voice coil', the problem affects the sound of the whole series array.
This can create quite a 'perplexing quagmire' in investigative fault finding. Basically a headache to repair.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for adding more ingredients, well let's see how all this fits into the final cake, as you suggested I have given coordinates to each unit, it is the first time I simulate this in VitixCAD and although the help gives a few touches on each topic I will surely I'm leaving something out again, I appreciate the notes and observations.

but let's see what we have advanced today, I have done the simulation with both units (Fountek and Dynaudio) although to avoid confusion I will only publish those from the main thread (Fountek) the results apart from the frequency response are not very different.

View attachment 1305857

I don't know where the unit width measurements are defined, now with the default width, the curve and position of the drivers in the lateral projection correspond to the model (I think so)

View attachment 1305859

The box needs to be simulated for the port study but that will be at another time.

Un saludo!!!

Good, moved along quickly with the learning curve of simulation.
It is a difficult model to start with and should be great learning experience.
You have learned quickly, very good.

looking at the scribble mess of expected phase.
It appears to be more realistic, and we can see off axis info

In normal speakers, if center to center spacing is tight.
And arranged vertical. Horizontal is easy to make beautiful
and flat. That is the easy part.
Already we can see with many drivers and crossover components
Horizontal response is junk. Not your fault, the concept is nonsense.
For 95 dB of bass and 85 dB of combing high end we could use 2 drivers
and 2 crossover components.

For final deletion switch over to vertical directivity so we can view in sim.
1st orders cant fix the horizontal, and will never ever fix the vertical.
Essentially have added 3x cone area for 9 dB of boost in one area
And 9 dB of cancellation in other areas.

So it needs 9 dB of EQ to fix it.
and combs regardless.
Hence one fullrange + one sub
would do better.
Since the additional 9 dB gained from 12 drivers.
Needs 9 dB of EQ to fix it regardless.

THX

Well, well, we move on, I understand perfectly that the BB is in another league, I have it in the peephole and components are arriving.

The simulation of the sub box in VituixCAD is a job for the next few days, maybe the weekend, even if it is simulated I like to know and understand what I am working on, that way it is easier or at least there is a reference on the to make corrections.

I have transferred the sketches that you published to CAD, I also have the cutting sheet, initially I want to use 18 mm Baltic birch, both units fit on one board!

If it seems appropriate and with your approval, I could publish the dimensioned drawings and cutting plans to encourage and facilitate construction.

View attachment 1305477

Un saludo!!!

You're a carpenter, right? You should be able to come up with methods to vary the shape of this box.
If you're up for an improvement make some adjustments to the box shape. It will work better that way.
Remove the diffraction signature of a sharp edged box shape.

See it in some ABEC simulation here: https://www.vandermill-audio.nl/smooth-curves-to-avoid-diffraction/

P.S. good to finally see a CBT with frequency dependent shading.
It does work wonders for straight arrays too.

So it needs 9 dB of EQ to fix it.
and combs regardless.
Hence one fullrange + one sub
would do better.
Since the additional 9 dB gained from 12 drivers.
Needs 9 dB of EQ to fix it regardless.
On paper, that might be true. In real life, not the case. If you look very closely at the graph below, you see that in order to get very smooth in room response, I did not need a bunch of high-Q peaks or dips built into my DSP curve.

IMG_9970.png

It has a lot of dB’s of EQ, but none of that EQ was needed for fixing comb filtering problems. The behavior overall is smooth and well behaved.

When you average out the response across multiple angles throughout the room, this is 1/12 octave resolution of actual real room response across 18 positions:

IMG_9971.png

It’s analogous to open baffle designs: they are messier on paper, but they sound better than boxes in real life.

The other story that “on paper”, simulations and measurements don’t tell you is dynamic range. These twelve 3.5s have enough displacement to play full range. But many people will want to match them with a subwoofer and cross them over at 60-100Hz and one of the real advantages that CBT arrays have is a tremendous amount of dynamic range and slam. If you cross these over at 100 Hz to a subwoofer, you have more surface area in the midrange and treble than almost any speaker reviewed in Stereophile. The dynamic capabilities are closer to horns than direct radiators.

I mentioned the guy who brought a CBT array to the Parts Express 2017 competition and won first place in Open Unlimited. Those speakers had dynamic range to burn. I believe they had 8 peerless 6” woofers and maybe 16 or 20 tweeters.

He played “tricycle“ by Flim and the BB’s and I’ve never heard the drums on that song sound as realistic on any speaker.

There is no combination of a single full range driver and sub that could ever do what those CBT arrays did.

So for those who have never built one of these or heard a CBT array in person, I would be cautious about saying you could do a better job with a whole lot less effort making a simple traditional two-way.

Last edited:
I was always fascinated with “How much juice can you squeeze out of a full range driver?”

In this design with twelve Fountek FE85 3.5” full range units, I managed to squeeze a lot of juice from small drivers, without a traditional crossover. This design achieves High-Definition transparency, deep imaging, excellent impulse and step response, flat phase response. The system comfortably handles 250 watts and plays very loud without distortion.

This design has unique feature: All 12 full range drivers receive 100% signal below 100Hz, sharing the load equally. With DSP EQ they have plenty of bass.

Above 100Hz they shift into Shaded Array mode. Above 500Hz the Constant Directivity radiation pattern is fully in force. This means spooky-good imaging all throughout the room.

View attachment 1304499

Lots of slam even with wide dynamic range percussion recordings.

Totally coherent sound as these full range drivers cover 9 octaves.

Extremely transparent, as the FE85s have very thin light aluminum cones and a light, airy signature sound.

View attachment 1304500

View attachment 1304501

I designed these based on Don Keele’s work, which is patented. I obtained Don's permission to build the design, and met him in person at the 2017 Parts Express competition where I showed them off.

A shaded array is a curved line array where each driver receives a unique signal level according to a Bessel function. This eliminates most of the lobing and comb filter effects of a line array. (Conventional line arrays are notorious for comb filtering effects. You have to use lots of tiny drivers in order to eliminate them.)

In auditoriums, shaded arrays ensure all seats get equal SPLs no matter how far from the speaker. In a home system, a shaded array with the hottest drivers near the floor results in equal SPLs whether you’re right next to the speaker or all the way across the room.

View attachment 1305064

When I invite people over to listen, I ask them to get up and walk around. They’re astonished that the sound level and image doesn’t change no matter where they are in the room. When I host listening parties with a dozen people, every seat in the house is great.

You can stand right next to one speaker and hear the other speaker clearly across the room with a nice stereo image.

The graph below is from Don Keel’s website, it shows even distribution across all frequencies for a shaded array with the hottest drivers in the center. In my design, the floor is the centerline through the middle, with floor reflections simulating the lower half of the array.

View attachment 1304503
Imagine a black dotted line running right across the middle of each heat map above. That dotted line is the floor of the room.

Put your couch on top of that floor and now you can visualize how the sound is distributed throughout the room from the Shaded CBT Array.

View attachment 1304504

This means the hottest drivers are the ones at the bottom, with the signal tapering off as you move up to the top of the array.

This design has an extra twist that I’ve never seen anywhere else, which is: All 12 full range drivers receive 100% signal strength below 100Hz, so they share the load equally.

I’ve mounted them in a DSP assisted bass reflex box. At the tuning frequency all drivers are working equally hard. But above 100Hz they progressively shift into Shaded Array mode and above 500Hz the Constant Directivity radiation pattern is fully in force.

This is the actual measured signal at the terminals of each driver:

View attachment 1304505

As you can see, at the tuning frequency of 43Hz, each driver shares exactly the same signal level, but around 100Hz the signals start to diverge, and at 10KHz driver #1 at the bottom gets 14dB more signal than driver #12 at the top.

The irregularities around 100Hz are due to varying resonant frequencies and impedance curves of each individual driver. This is a trivial issue in application. The Fountek driver has the following specs: FS 125Hz (in my measurements it was more like 110Hz), Qt 0.52, VAS 0.85 liter.

One thing that separates the men from the boys in speaker design is radiation pattern. I like "CBT Constant Beamwidth Transducer" Shaded Arrays because their distribution pattern of sound throughout the room creates superb imaging in every seat of the house. If you stand up and walk right up to one speaker, the apparent source of the sound recedes to somewhere a few feet behind the speaker. You can hear the left and right equally well anywhere you stand or sit.

Measurements

This is the system response in my room, average of 18 positions, mostly near the listening spot, with the EQ that sounds right after much tweaking:

View attachment 1304506
As you can see they deliver 35Hz-25KHZ. Of course at listener position in a real room, you want about 10dB more bass and that's exactly the case here.

Phase response is essentially flat above 80Hz:

View attachment 1304508
Most speakers butcher Impulse Response. Not these:

View attachment 1304510

Schematic:

This design requires an elaborate filtering network to provide each individual driver with the exactly correct drive signal according to Keel's Shaded Array methodology. Each driver has a Zobel network (6ohms + 13uF) which flattens the impedance and makes behavior more managable.

The wiring consists of three parallel sections of four drivers wired in series. Each driver starting with driver #4 and above also has an RC network which directs extra high frequency energy towards the bottom drivers and less HF energy to the top drivers.

View attachment 1304512

As you can see, drivers 1, 2 and 3 get 3dB extra signal above 1KHz, and drivers 10, 11 and 12 get 10-15dB less signal above 1KHz, with the intermediate drivers getting exactly proportional signals. I am very proud of the above family of curves.

View attachment 1304513

I used a MiniDSP 2x4HD to EQ these speakers flat. Above is the correction curve, which is absolutely necessary because without EQ the 3.5” drivers start rolling off below 150Hz.

The total system has roughly the same output capability of a quality 10” woofer in a bass reflex enclosure. The DSP boosts the signal the the 43Hz reflex tuning frequency and rolls off quickly below that, adding 6-10dB additional headroom at low frequencies. This is a critical aspect of the design, as a 6-10dB gain in LF dynamic range is not trivial.

I discuss this DSP technique in my AudioXpress article “The DSP Assisted Reflex.”

Port & Tuning Details

I used a flared 3” Precision Port from Parts Express. It is about 12” long and it tunes the 30 liter / 1.2 cubic foot box to 43Hz. The system cuts off sharply below 35Hz via DSP. These twelve drivers in a super-low-tuned reflex enclosure and DSP can collectively generate a lot of output, very similar strategy to the Bose 901 (which is an ingenious engineering design as I discuss in an AudioXpress sidebar, regardless of what opinions many audiophiles have about the execution.)

High Sensitivity

The midband SPL of these speakers is about 96dB. They have 14dB of boost at 43Hz and a similar amount of boost above 5KHz. Effectively they operate on average like a system with ~91dB sensitivity. Pretty efficient overall. The high efficiency adds to the slam and dynamic range.

These sound great and play quite loud with small low power tube amps.

Impedance

View attachment 1304516

They are easy for any amp to drive. You can see in this graph the port tuning frequency of 43Hz and the impedance is around 10 ohms at low frequencies and 4 ohms at high frequencies. These speakers are easy to drive.

Driver Choice
View attachment 1304517

The Fountek FE85 is an excellent full range driver. It has a 3/4” voice coil and very light cone assembly of less than 2 grams. It has a fabric surround which ideally matches the acoustic impedance of the aluminum cone and very smooth response. It has very good high frequency resolution, as good as many dome tweeters.

Individually they handle about 10 watts RMS, so with 12 units per channel and equal power distribution at low frequencies, this system has no problem putting out 110dB+ SPLs in a real room.

Fortunately the FE85 is still available. Plus many great alternative choices are available from Dayton, Tang Band, FaitalPro and many others. As long as you choose an 8 ohm unit, you won’t need to change any of the Shaded Array filter network values. However your DSP EQ will change and anyone with a DSP and a microphone can easily pull that off.

There is no need for FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filters as everything is very well behaved and there are no phase errors that you can’t correct with standard IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) DSP filters.

Cabinet details

The cabinets are 46” high, 7” wide and 14.75” deep. These are the sketches I gave to my carpenter Joseph Budka, who milled these on a CNC machine:

View attachment 1304518

View attachment 1304519

The drawing below shows the coordinates of each facing surface on the side panel that touches the front panel pieces, along with the angles of each facing surface.
View attachment 1304520

View attachment 1304521

How do they sound?

The stereo image is deep. The apparent sound source is about 2-3 feet behind the speakers, just as Don Keele’s Constant Beamwidth Transducer model predicts.

I’ve built LOTS of different designs, you can search my screen name on this forum to find more. These are one of the better systems I’ve made, successfully squeezing a great deal of performance out of 3.5” full range speakers.

Resolution is high definition and extremely detailed. The aluminum cones have a slight edge and if your amp is harsh or sounds grainy, that will come through.

“Shaking the house” and full range drivers don’t usually go together in the same sentence, but these deliver. They have a LOT more dynamic range than 99% of full range designs. The DSP Assisted Reflex means that even with songs like “Russia on Ice” by Porcupine Tree, which has a loud 34Hz pant leg flapping synthesizer late in the track, these have no problem shaking the house.

If I were to build these again, I would consider a more expensive high end driver with underhung voice coil. I would be tempted to choose a paper cone instead of aluminum, as the metal cones have a slight edge that can come off hard at times. The Dayton PS95 is a very good choice.

I would also consider an even larger array, using 16 or 18 drivers instead of 12.

VituixCad and MiniDSP 2x4HD files are attached in Zip files.

View attachment 1304522
I wrapped them 360 degrees with black grille cloth with an oak wood cap on the top. I used very dark wood stain that makes it almost black.

I took these to the Parts Express 2017 speaker design competition where I got a lot of questions from curious designers. (Coincidentally, the speaker that won the competition was a much more sophisticated 2-way Shaded Array design.)

I think shaded arrays are underrated and I encourage y'all to try a design for yourself!
I've been wanting to build a line array for years now with some 3.5" driver like the Peerless TC9 or something similar, was thinking at first with maybe 16 drivers for a half way line to save some cash, or floor to celling if I managed to save a bit more of it. I've always know about the comb filtering issues with them but since some people say that it ain't a problem in practice I've been quite positive that those might be the "ultimate" speakers.
But seeing this with what you describe kind of the same sound as a line but with less comb filtering I can say that I'm really intrigued by this! I mean I've seen the original CBT but I remember them having other downsides so I kind of forgot about those, but these with that filter that makes all the drivers play all the bass looks really interesting!

Just a few questions, if you'd build it with 16 or 18 drivers would you use the same radius of the curve? And how would you do the rest of the filter? Would you tune the port lower with more drivers?
Is there reason why you built them with asymmetrical placement of the drivers btw?

Haven't heard any line or curve irl thought, would be interesting to hear the actual difference between them. I mean in theory the curve seems better, but it's harder to build and not as good looking as a line imo.

If I built it using 16 or 18 drivers, I would use a larger radius. Really, you get to decide for yourself, but I think if the top edge of the speaker leans back more than about 30° it looks a little funny.

Comb filtering is always an issue with line arrays and this is why I like the shaded array approach better.

There’s no law that says that you HAVE to use a curved array. You can use CBT shading in a straight line array, and it will work similarly.

I am guessing the compromise you may need to accept is that a curved array converges on a single virtual point source behind the speaker, and a straight array with shading will distort that to some degree.

Earlier in this thread, https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...th-35hz-25khz-high-output.412154/post-7672809 @Rxdroid was modeling the exact tilt of the array in Vituixcad and you could use his model and compare it to a straight array and see how much difference you think it makes.

If I were using more drivers, I might tune the port a little lower, but not a lot. Every octave of bass extension costs you 12 DB of dynamic range, so with small full range drivers I really wouldn’t try to push the low end of the system below 40 Hz.

Yes, there is a reason why I placed the drivers asymmetrically. It’s so the defraction patterns on one edge do not match the defraction patterns on the other edge. It spreads the peaks around a little bit. The front panel is 7 inches wide and the drivers are 3 inches from one side.

How would I do the rest of the filter with more drivers? For 16 I would add a fourth circuit with four series drivers in the circuit, and I would make sure it still follows the rule that every single driver’s response curve tilts just a little bit further downward than the driver below it.

For 18 drivers, you would need three branches of six drivers wired in series. I think wiring six drivers in series and getting all of the filters to cascade properly would take a LOT of trial and error.

(Or 6 branches of 3 in series, which I suspect might make it even harder to achieve the desired result. It seems like it would be hard to get the bottom six drivers to have the desired relationship with each other. But I haven’t tried to model it.)

I think 16 is easier to pull off.

Either way there’s a fair bit of modeling you need to do to get it the way you want it.

Last edited:
A couple more things: when I built these in 2017, I modeled them on a spreadsheet and a calculator. I didn’t use Vituixcad and the model was not very precise.

If I were to redo them, I would change the Zobel. The old design has 13 µF and 6 ohms.

The new Zobel for the FE85 would be 4.7 µF and 16 ohms. That would result in a higher impedance to the amplifier and otherwise similar filter behavior.

Your mileage will vary depending on the drivers you are using, and it is a really good idea to use the actual impedance and response curves of any given driver to dial this in. I think with some care it should be possible to get a nearly resistive load above 100 Hz and still hit all of the other design objectives.

Finally, it’s absolutely necessary to use at minimum a 3 inch diameter port. Most people make their ports too small. A large port makes a very big difference at high SPL‘s.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
This eliminates most of the lobing and comb filter effects of a line array. (Conventional line arrays are notorious for comb filtering effects. You have to use lots of tiny drivers in order to eliminate them.)
Doesn't this physical resolution/spacing also limit the ability for shading to work (at these higher frequencies in question)?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Perhaps you have a reference to some documentation which shows this?

Shading works across the line, with the driver spacing setting the upper limit since the crossover can't split a response gradient across half a driver, and can't work in the gaps.

I'm not questioning your favourable results, just the role of shading in this case.

Last edited: