SH50 passive vs active

If and when you seen a straight-ish looking phase trace sloping downward, on frequency displayed log scale, like in post #2...
that is simply not linear phase. The straight line must be on a linear freq scale.
True.
Linear Phase plot.png

In Chris' SH-50 phase plot in #2, looking at 2 octave intervals (rough old eye estimates):
50-200Hz ~330 degrees shift
200-800Hz ~45 degrees shift
800-3200Hz ~20 degrees shift
3200-12800Hz ~45 degrees shift

Smooth, but not linear.
The excess group delay plot also confirms a smooth, but not linear response.
Good enough, once the ragged frequency response is corrected ;)
I agree with Profiguy, "might as well just do everything with DSP and have all the other benefits that come along with using it."

Art

Reactions: 2 users
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Achieving a linear-phase characteristic in a speaker system is a high bar. You don't achieve it by lowering the bar.
All you do is cheapen the efforts of those speaker system designers that did achieve it. (And there aren't many.)

I searched/looked all over the Danley Sound website for claims of linear-phase operation. I see none.
Nor do I see any evidence of it from the measured phase plots on the numerous spec-sheets. So, kudos to Danley for that.

Anyways, the project here of implementing an active crossover for the SH50 looks like good fun and will no doubt yield a fine result.

Dave.

If i were me, I would buy the passive version and thoroughly try it, then measure it in my room, complete and each single driver with its crossover. Store data and exact measuring condition (mike position, amp level and program settings) Later remove the crossover, fit another connection panel and equalize it in active mode, if this fits the passive version, tune to taste. I still have to meet a speaker that doesn't profit from an activstion.

IMO, for a potential resale the passive version is much simpler to sell. I would keep this option open, as you never can be sure you like it long therm in a living room. After all, they are PA speaker.

Reactions: 1 users
Account Closed
Joined 2001
@Turbowatch2 Yeah, that would be the way I'd approach it as well. Except, I wouldn't even bother with acoustic measurements. I'd take three electrical measurements on each set of driver terminals to capture the transfer function of the crossover directly. Those can be used as a reference to start with (or return to) while developing an active version.

Dave.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users