Series crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have run into to many people who think you can design a flat frequency response just by using a computer program. Be it the crossover and or enclosure. I know of people in the industry who have attempted this and they found it takes a considerable amount of time. Months of testing the crossover and cabinet design before the final design is settled on. This means testing the old fashioned way. A few examples are Bud Fried and Shane Tenace. It would also seem the definition of a t-line has changed.

Yes- that's true that you have to 'check your work' with real measurements, but the software is very accurate, and I've had the sims match my FR plot when I was finished. You can't say it's not possible, you just have to know what you're doing. It hasn't taken me more than a few weeks to tops a couple months to be where I want the design, once they are constructed and listening. You always have to use your ears and check your work, as with anything else.

Yes- the TL has changed, check quarter-wave.com, as I was telling you back on PETT.

Things have changed in the last 25 years.

Later,
Wolf

I have read the quarter wave.com many times. One of the beat articles on t-line theory was written by Kevin Blair in Speaker Builder 2-1994. It was under works in progress. The Fried and Wright designs are derived from different methods as I have stated before. Different damping materials for one are used.They are free flowing lines. I have discussed the differences on the Yahoo t-line group with M. King. I posted other people's work on flue pipes on the PETT board that was beyond some of their forum users understanding. There are patented and copyrighted proven designs. I am only interested in proven designs I have been able to listen to.. Fried, Wright IPL Acoustics ,PMC have done this. They still use the foam damping and look at their eclosures. It concurs with the previously stated designer parameters I have stated. I stopped posting on the PETT board since audio forums should be a fun place to share info. It should not be full of unpleasantries.

The larger public libraries use to have free access to some of these articles. You made a request and they obtained the article. Times have changed. Reprints are expensive for one article. I think there was a book compialation sometime back on these articles. It was advertised in Speaker Builder I recall in the 90's. The Small AES papers were one of these. Ashley and Small started their research in the 60's It has been in the footnotes of many articles on series circuits. I still can't find Larry Sharp's t-line design booklet since I built my home that used the Acousta Stuf at constant damping densities Maybe one day I will build a full range driver t-line . I would also like to try PA drivers in a t-line. There is not much room for any more speakers. This is one of the reasons I have built t-lines with some small drivers. They do have their limitations though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.