Separating moderation posts from normal posts for moderators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who can remember those old forums, I think they were called message boards? They were vicious, no room for softies.:)

I fell foul of message boards when they first came out.
No matter what I posted someone took exception to it.
Some people just look for an argument.
I am a member of very few forums or groups now.

DIYAUDIO is my favourite forum as its mostly well behaved and full of valuable information.

One problem I have found is trying to help people when someone else is giving them wrong information on how to fix a problem and my advice as someone who has fixed the problem first hand is ignored !
Without putting qualifications on the members profiles its hard to tell who is giving the best advice.
While my highest qualification is City and Guilds part 3 I have also been in design work for many years and worked as a consultant and a Chief design engineer. Having said that I am still learning all the time.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
One problem I have found is trying to help people when someone else is giving them wrong information on how to fix a problem and my advice as someone who has fixed the problem first hand is ignored !
I really feel your post. I run into the same things and often have to decide to not post if there is someone knowledgeable already trying to steer a member towards the correct procedure or conclusions.
Without putting qualifications on the members profiles its hard to tell who is giving the best advice.
The problem with this is that I see some hobbyists who are advanced well beyond some professionals I know. Then there isn't any shortage of people in my profession who ought not be in that line of work. I hate to say it, but it's up to the member to have his BS detector on and learn who the bags of hot air are. Everyone can make mistakes, especially diagnosing a issue though a human chain. Then, maybe an icon to show if a member has had their coffee yet (or strong black tea)! :)

I seldom use the mod account and rely mostly on the clear :cop: symbol. But as a moderator, I'd guess that > 1/2 my time is on moderator duties. It's a large site and members need help for everything from "how to I attach ..." to dealing with misbehaving members. Mark is right, on a fast moving board such as this one, 2 minutes in and 2 minutes out is a long time compared to what we are doing normally.

-Chris

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just on what Cal said about back room duties, there is a whole lot more to being a mod than simply giving someone a warning or bin time every now and then. ALL new members (and some not so new) are under moderation when they first join and their posts appear in a queue for us to review and approve or reject. There are many per hour, and we have to check them regularly or they wait for a long time for their posts to appear. That alone is enough reason to make swapping between normal and mod accounts untenable.
If you see a :cop: then it is a moderator posting as a moderator, if you don't then they should be considered to be just like any other user.

Generally moderators do not moderate in a thread that they are participating in. We have this guideline to ensure impartiality in mod decisions.

Tony.

You are a very sensitive chap, an unusual trait for an Aussie.
Not at all. We are far less sensitive than most from secular Western democracies, without naming any on the other side of the timeline. Generally, we also don't like hypocrisy, deceit, and the underhand, to name a few.

IMO: If you really are so tender as to have to block a mod in normal user mode, while still seeing his mod posts - this place isn't for you.
What if you don't want to see a post from someone which has crossed the borderline of commercial self-interest, or mostly they post about metaphysical nonsense?

Or you could simply be an adult and accept it as part of the price for a free, well run and interesting forum.
Or we don't want to see the No True Scotsman fallacy?

If you see a then it is a moderator posting as a moderator, if you don't then they should be considered to be just like any other user.
Even when they post some highly subjective comment I regard as closer to nonsense than reality?

Generally moderators do not moderate in a thread that they are participating in. We have this guideline to ensure impartiality in mod decisions.
Oh?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've held back posting here but I do need to comment on what Tromperie has said as a non-mod member who appreciates all the stuff that goes on in the background to keep things running.
1. Mods are note above the rules when posting as members
2. If you don't like a post you can complain but hitting the red triangle
3. A complaint about a mod will not be treated any differently if they have broken rule 1
4. As Tony says, whenever you see a mod 'power up' on a thread, it's not one of the mods who are posting there as members.

I really appreciate the light touch moderation that occurs here. Yes some members wind me up and yes I have 3 on ignore, but that is more because of my self control issues and not wanting to get into more pointless arguments with them. I have previous on this as the mod team know so I took steps to prevent it. Not proud of myself , but I've had no points for a while now so it works.

I've only been wound up by one Mods postings. One person I can skim their posts. It's not perfect, but its the best forum I have ever used.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Has anyone else noticed that those that post the most get upset the most?
This applies to all forums and could make an interesting study?

I haven't noticed ;)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 103
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just for Lolz I looked at all the threads Tromperie has posted on in the last moth. Bar one that was closed to for very good reason none of these threads had postings by moderators in normal mode. However at least 4 people have been added to his ignore list. He does like posting 'another for the list'.

Based on that I still fail to see what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.