sensible FM tuner choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the little digituner, the op-amps are for a pair of small speakers, not the headphone jack. The headphone jack comes right from the...what appears to be a dsp chip.

As far as features, there's one. Long press the tuning knob and you can set the squelch/stereo/autotone threshold. It took me a couple of tries to figure out the hidden features. I wanted the 'clamp' set lighter to maximize the stereo field.
Long press one knob and then turn the other, sure was easier than 2 hours with a plastic screwdriver with an analog tuner.

I don't know the sensitivity figures, but is more sensitive than my big Technics tuner. I had only a 30" wire on the digituner, but it locks in every station. That kind of performance is normal for digituners.

On a digituner, the color, print, or brand on the op-amps doesn't affect the sound; but, what will do that is the power circuit. That's why I bought one that had only a radio rather than a complex multi-function model.

There was another function though. If plugged into a PC, it works as an output, not a tuner. Perhaps there should have been a double-pole on/off switch to disengage the 2 data lines. But, it wasn't difficult to find a phone charger.

--
For digital radio I use google home mini + chromecast-audio. There's no monthly payments. I just ask it to play something (genre, callsign, tunein name, or type) and it does. These two devices are set in a 'home group' so the chromecast-audio that is plugged into the amplifier plays the request. In fact, set the mini in the center, and you get triophonic sound (your 'listening chair' can be positioned anywhere in the room).

I did notice one oddity. Headphone sources, such as Laptop, chromecast-audio and digituner, have non-symmetric output and work better if the next stage (line amp or power amp) has a singleton input. I don't know why.

I don't know the sensitivity figures, but is more sensitive than my big Technics tuner. I had only a 30" wire on the digituner, but it locks in every station. That kind of performance is normal for digituners.
Are you referring to the Technic ST-9030 tuner? It is big. The spec may be state of the art in its day, but are good, not exceptional, compared to modern tuners.
fm_stereo_tuner_st_9030_141002.jpg

I shopped Magnum Dynalab too, but they are too expensive. Many Japanese brand made good FM tuner. The Denon is my favorite.

The 2 Marantz are newer (early 2000) design with microprocessor chip inside. I like the extra features and hope they would last longer.

Once a guy selling Magnum Dynalab in downton Toronto HiFi store. That time I was in to tuners. I wasn't impressed with the reception ability of tat tuner, I told him at he has an old beaten up Technics ST-9030 down in the annex, and bet that tuner will do better. He was laughed at me, but brought it up. The Technics had stations which did not exist on the Dynalab. I can say practically 99% of the hi end FM tuners made in Jappan, between the late seventies and the early 1990s.

On the little digituner, the op-amps are for a pair of small speakers, not the headphone jack. The headphone jack comes right from the...what appears to be a dsp chip.

As far as features, there's one. Long press the tuning knob and you can set the squelch/stereo/autotone threshold. It took me a couple of tries to figure out the hidden features. I wanted the 'clamp' set lighter to maximize the stereo field.
Long press one knob and then turn the other, sure was easier than 2 hours with a plastic screwdriver with an analog tuner.

On a digituner, the color, print, or brand on the op-amps doesn't affect the sound; but, what will do that is the power circuit. That's why I bought one that had only a radio rather than a complex multi-function model.

There was another function though. If plugged into a PC, it works as an output, not a tuner. Perhaps there should have been a double-pole on/off switch to disengage the 2 data lines. But, it wasn't difficult to find a phone charger.

--
For digital radio I use google home mini + chromecast-audio. There's no monthly payments. I just ask it to play something (genre, callsign, tunein name, or type) and it does. These two devices are set in a 'home group' so the chromecast-audio that is plugged into the amplifier plays the request. In fact, set the mini in the center, and you get triophonic sound (your 'listening chair' can be positioned anywhere in the room).

I did notice one oddity. Headphone sources, such as Laptop, chromecast-audio and digituner, have non-symmetric output and work better if the next stage (line amp or power amp) has a singleton input. I don't know why.
It sounds awfully like the Pro-Ject Tuner Box S2, without the fancy box and remote.
TunerBoxS2-2-1024x464.png

I wonder if it is the same one chip FM tuner TEA5767HN from NXP.

On the little digituner, the chip is AC1552CG4R3F-E
There are others with similar performance. But, I shopped for one that didn't do anything other than tuner so the that power circuit (audible effects at small signal) didn't have or sound like anything other than tuner.

Attachments

• digituner-chip.jpg
    digituner-chip.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.