Seeking advice on ultrasound transmission rig

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I see some stunning homebuilds on these forums.

I wonder if there is anyone out there that can advise me.

I'm trying to make a cost-effective (<$60 if possible) ultrasound transmission beacon: 17.5kHz - 19.5kHz coming from a RaspberryPi.

I need to add an amplifier and a Tweeter.

I found a promising looking tweeter on Amazon here which goes up to 22kHz. Also it only cost $18 for two units.

However I'm not at all sure on the amp.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks @adason (&#55357;&#56397; on the Osho Avatar, ❤️Osho).

I'm a little concerned about the frequency response smoothness. We are currently transmitting (17.5–19.5)kHz and we need a reasonably flat response within this range. It can be hard to get spec sheets with frequency response curves for low-cost units -- e.g. I can't find a sheet for this one. Nevertheless, it's cheap enough to be worth trying it out, i.e. skip straight to field test.

How would I go about sourcing a suitable amp for that unit? Do I ONLY need to look at the power-rating (in WATTs)? Or do I need to consider the resistance (Ohms) of the driver?

You won't get a flat frequency response anyway at those frequencies due to multipath/reflection/standing-wave issues in the environment.

Sound power out = sensitivity x power in. Sensitivity is usually quoted for 1 watt drive at 1m distance from driver. The frequency for that sensitivity is also hopefully quoted!

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
pii, do you require flat fr response between 17.5 to 19.5 kHz? how flat? +/- few dB?
piezos will not meet that criteria

Attachments

• cts1142-f-size475.gif
    cts1142-f-size475.gif
    69.5 KB · Views: 85
  • AD43EE63E864BE1BB24D356A31C87181.app1_1498919846270_PZ320.jpeg
    AD43EE63E864BE1BB24D356A31C87181.app1_1498919846270_PZ320.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 86
So grateful to find this community.

@adason, how are these graphs being generated?
I would like to say "reasonably flat" frequency response across our carrier-band.
We don't have an exact technical requirement; we are at the mercy of the hardware.
There is going to be a performance/cost curve, and I can't pre-empt exactly where on the curve we want to be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.