SEAS "kits"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of which of the Seas "kits" are the best bet in terms of the being the best performer, regardless of being a tower or a "short" MTM version?

That is such a subjective question it would be hard to answer. Best for the price? Best bass, best for movies, best in a small cabinet.....

There are lots of good kits out there, from Seas, Zaph and many others. I do suggest starting simply, and don't think a bigger speaker will give you bigger bass.

Best,

Erik

Funny how nobody wants the rubbishest speaker that their friends can sneer at! :D

I don't like small speakers much. Anything less than 8" bass kinda disappoints me. But all the SEAS kits past and present benefit from good drivers. Build quality is exemplary. Perhaps crossovers are simplistic. Troels Gravesen tends to the more sophisticated than SEAS.
DIY-Loudspeakers

Now if I look for an appealing 8" SEAS bass, this is it!
H1659-08 U22REX/P-SL

Sort of project I'd take on.

Attachments

• Monitor_Audio_Silicone_Grease.jpg
    Monitor_Audio_Silicone_Grease.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 8 inch two way.PNG
    8 inch two way.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,132
Yes, large speakers fit me just fine. I sure hope that subconsciously I am not trying to compensate for something. :D

I guess larger cabinets at least have the potential to go lower with all other things being equal. Fair statement?

I was thinking of either the Thor, Delling, or Zaph's ZRT 2.5 sealed with a sub for my next project but was seeking opinions

It's a vast subject really. I was listening to a superbly set up wall mounted Scanspeak 6" MTM plus ribbon tweeter setup the other week. Subs built into the wall, so the 6" woofers never got congested by excess excursion.

532765d1456057805-classic-monitor-designs-mtm-scanspeak-raal-ribbon-selah-audio.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/147632-classic-monitor-designs-27.html

Faultless is the only word, though you never quite solve some of the issues about listening outside the sweet spot.

WE have a member called wilbur-x who seems to have a lot of fun with the E0022-08S W22EX001.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/271727-seas-trim-w22ex001-wg.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/256816-seas-excel-tmm-finished.html

Not the easiest 8" bass, it needs a notch around 5kHz.

But the SEAS Trym is similar:
TRYM

For a first project, 8" bass is easy IMO. There's honestly not much to go wrong. The BRAGI looks nice too. There's less to go wrong with an MTM than a 2.5 way IMO. Less to fiddle with! :eek:

Zaph's 2.5 way certainly looks nice in the scanspeak camp:
Zaph|Audio - ZRT - Revelator Tower

I'm pretty lazy myself, I'd go for something simple that works, and with these sort of quality drivers, you won't go far wrong.

"We live in the midrange" is a popular quote from Arkansas' Paul Klipsch.

SO: Select the best midrange driver you can afford and design your speaker around it. Might not be Seas :(
--The best midrange requires a sealed box for stable Qtc, and to avoid phase shifted bass and "sound leaks" from a port
--The best midrange off-loads high X-max bass to a real woofer above 100Hz.(no Doppler distortion issues if >100Hz)

The Satori line of speakers from SBAcoustics are worth some study. Many positive reviews. A few good kits like the Kairos, Adelphos, Kalissans, use the 6.5" midbass + 1" dome, and an optional 10" woofer.

www.quarter-wave.com/.../Satori_MTM_Bass_Reflex_Speaker_System.pdf

Since you live in Arkansas, the Klipsch state, a Jubilee/Jamboree bass horn and K-402 mid-tweet horn might be your destiny.:)

Attachments

• midrange.jpg
    midrange.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 923
  • Arkansas.jpg
    Arkansas.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,092
Paul Klipsch! Does that ever bring back memories.

His company was a relatively small, sleepy company for many years where they produced a modest number of high quality, and expensive for the time, pieces per year. Then in about 1974 they started actively marketing the brand to the general public as opposed to just audio aficionados as had been their practice. I remember listening to interviews with Mr. Klipsch on my favorite radio station about once per week during this "going big" phase.

The rest is history.

Years later our company had clients in Hope, AR and I met at least one of the long term employees of the Klipsch factory. He had a lot of interesting stories.

Thanks for bring back some pleasant memories.

This is a well reviewed paper explaining why MTM topology speakers will produce a garbled soundstage if >5" midranges are used.

Biro Technology

Vertically Symmetric Two-Way Loudspeaker Arrays Reconsidered
=========
Could you live with a well designed and executed 42" high T-M-W topology with a 10" woofer?(13.5" wide cabinet at bottom). One driver for each major frequency range. Find a cabinet design using a 10" woofer which artistically integrates into your listening room decor. A woofer volume designed for ported deep bass will also function well with a sealed port if improved transients are desired, and/of a room subwoofer is used.

If only tall and narrow is acceptable for your home, then TM--WW with a couple 8" woofers is the consistent award winner. SBAcoustics offers two price points, regular and Satori. Crossovers are available, and you can adjust them in XSIM to tune to your room placement.
==============
SB Acoustics 3 ways ==Fat Bottom 10”
Wide FloorStander ..one $250
1.15" SB29RDC-C000-4 $52
6" SB17NRXC35-8 $58
10'' SB29NRXS75-6 $140
=====
==SB Satori 3 ways ==Fat Bottom 10”
Wide FloorStander .one $400
1.15" SBTW29N $120
6" MW16P-8 $140
10'' SB29NRXS75-6 $140

Attachments

• Fat Bottom 10.jpg
    Fat Bottom 10.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 315
It's not the size of the woofer, it's the size of the bass traps, and placement of the speakers and listening location.

I'm using 6" Scanspeak drivers in a ported enclosure (2 way) and the bass is fantastic. Take away the bass traps, move the listening location a foot, it all goes to hell and it sounds like my speakers have shrunk 4."

Going the other way, the bass traps double the apparent size of my sub. Add a little DSP to cut peaks and I have tanks rolling through my living room during the right scenes. :)

Best,

Erik

That is an interesting article from what little I understand, but I think I grasped most of it. There was a similar article floating around about line array considerations which I am trying to locate.

Is this spacing fundamental implied in your article the same reason line arrays spacing is so critical?

This is an old SEAS kit, called SEAS Njord. I think it's nice. Should have a solid bass foundation. It's not wildly different in concept to the SEAS A26 kit:
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=475:seas-a26-kit&catid=66:seas-diy-kits&Itemid=365

You could use the modern H1288-08 CA22RNX and almost any 25mm SEAS tweeter you fancy. TWEETERS

I'd do a more sophisticated 2nd order bass/3rd order tweeter 3kHz crossover, but you won't go far wrong with the basic idea. I think you could do a smaller cabinet too.

Attachments

• SEAS Njord Filter.PNG
    SEAS Njord Filter.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 6,246
  • SEAS Njord.JPG
    SEAS Njord.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 6,050
Last edited:
Steve, I can't help but chuckle a bit because hardly a post of yours does not have a schematic along with suggestions to solve an OP's problem. I don't know how you come up with these, but I do have to admire your gumption!
Well, speakerdoctor, you and I are people who love this hobby and actually build stuff! :D

I must have built every combination of drivers under the sun over the years. Little ones and big ones. Simple filters and complex ones. We are really in the business of putting old heads on young shoulders. :)

Let's have a look at a variant of the SEAS Njord idea, the WLM La Scala.
6moons audio reviews: WLM La Scala

You might think the big box on the left is a good idea. But, TBH, only if you have a room the size of an aircraft hanger. Otherwise the smaller box will work better, because a small closed room makes the bass boomy. It's called room gain.

If I am honest, a three way works much better at every level with the same SEAS CA22RNX bass :
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

But since this our lovely hobby, I encourage relative noobs to have a go. You will get good sounds if you have a good idea. I still enjoy reducing the bass coil, and increasing the bass shunt capacitor proportionately. Part of my hobby. :cool:

Attachments

• WLM_La_Scala_loudspeaker.JPG
    WLM_La_Scala_loudspeaker.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 571
  • MonitorAudio R300-MD.jpg
    MonitorAudio R300-MD.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 567
  • Richard Allen RA82L Guess.PNG
    Richard Allen RA82L Guess.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 558
Well, speakerdoctor, you and I are people who love this hobby and actually build stuff! :D

I must have built every combination of drivers under the sun over the years. Little ones and big ones. Simple filters and complex ones. We are really in the business of putting old heads on young shoulders. :)

Let's have a look at a variant of the SEAS Njord idea, the WLM La Scala.
6moons audio reviews: WLM La Scala

You might think the big box on the left is a good idea. But, TBH, only if you have a room the size of an aircraft hanger. Otherwise the smaller box will work better, because a small closed room makes the bass boomy. It's called room gain.

If I am honest, a three way works much better at every level with the same SEAS CA22RNX bass :
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

But since this our lovely hobby, I encourage relative noobs to have a go. You will get good sounds if you have a good idea. I still enjoy reducing the bass coil, and increasing the bass shunt capacitor proportionately. Part of my hobby. :cool:

+2!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.