SEAS FA22RCZ build

I have tested Seas FA22 the last 10 years in different configs. OB, MLTL and this summer with a tweeter. I even cut of the wizzer cone. The best result is to cross over at +/- 2000 Hz and use a tweeter.

6D755707-CC9F-4AB0-9AD4-E33DCF771E08.jpeg

I used passive crossover but active with dsp is even better.

The beauty with this driver is very low MMS and high QMS which i think sounds open and with fast transients.

I live close to the Seas factory and was lucky to visit them and see both the production and R&D. At that time the FA22RZC wasnt released but was in the R&D office. I said: wow, are you making fullrange drivers? They answered with a laugh: you shouldnt see that :)

I hade a communication with the CEO this summer and he told that they make FA22RZC without wizzercone to a OEM customer as a high end midwoofer. Thats exiting.

I have tested Seas FA22 the last 10 years in different configs. OB, MLTL and this summer with a tweeter. I even cut of the wizzer cone. The best result is to cross over at +/- 2000 Hz and use a tweeter.

View attachment 1006021
I was also experimenting with mine. I agree it works best as a midwoofer. It beams too much and the treble doesn't sound that great, nowhere near a decent tweeter. However I think crossing at 4kHz would be better, moves it away from the sensitive frequency region.

Tried it on an old Sony TL speaker box. The bass was phenomenal...

Your design looks really nice, reminds me of the audionote speakers. I reallylike the sound of the audionote...

Oon

The oem version i mentioned without wizzercone cone has phase plug AND a dedicated tweeter in the loudspeaker.

The cheapest tweeter will sound much better than the option with phase plug.

The best tweeter sound i have heard in a ordinary fullrange speaker is with Markaudio 5.2 Gold.

My implementation using the Seas 8" fullrange is as follows:
  • Sealed wide box for the 8" fullrange for directivity (see Grimm LS1)
  • Crossed at 250 hz to a Seas 8" bass aludriver
  • Sealed Seas 8" bass reversed direction, plays into the front wall for directivity, (see Dutch & Dutch 8c)
The system is controlled through MiniDSP, using separate amplifiers for bass (Hypex) and fullrange (Sugden). Crossover is FIR linearphase 48db, and the ragged treble response is linearized. The fullrange is delayed for a full phase alignment with the bass.

The pictures show fullrange wide box, and the reversed bass placed at the floor behind the fullrange stands, the lights on top is a DIY "audiophile nixie clock":)
front.jpg
bass.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot that I also posted my system on page one of this thread. However, I do have some remarks about the sound:

When the fullrange is releived from bass duty, the sound quite improved. I find it to be very satisfying and compared to my Spendor SP1/2R2, there is no question for me that the Seas is superior in all ways. Particularly when it comes to presentation of a holographic and large open soundstage. When measured in REW - it is evident that the sealed box has much less ringing, and the transients (step response) is on a whole different level compared to the bassreflex Spendor.