Seas 27tdc VS 29tff/w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

For a two way, paired with a seas 8inch, which seas prestige Tweeter would you use?
The crossover point will be 1.7khz with a notch filter.

Has anyone listened to both of them?
Which of those two has more "silkier" and more "airy" sound?

I don't want measurements, I already have an aluminum prestige Tweeter with good measuments and I really don't like it compared to a 25tff/dlg that also own. I guess 27tdc or 29tff/w would be better sounding than the old 25tff/dlg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191123_095917_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123_095917_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 375
  • Screenshot_20200121_001551_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20200121_001551_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 366
Hi,

the equation of a loudspeaker is one with multiple variables and they all contribute to overall sound quality, not forgetting the designer abbility. Consider a tweeter/waveguide as optimal solution, certainly better than a tweeter only.

Can you disclose more specific information on loudspeaker you are not satified with right now? Someone may be able to help resolve it, if possible.

Yes of course!.

I liked the sound of the speaker, but I didnt like the sound of the tweeter, the original tweeter was a seas 25taf/dlg. It sounded a little harsh to my ears. Α more experienced friend of mine suggested to try a fabric tweeter, so I found a used pair of 25tff/dlg and swap them, without changing anything at the crossover (I asked a sound engineer, he told me that it would work with the crossover as is, not optimally but it would work)
So, after swapping tweeters the sound was a massive improvement. Silky, airy, not harsh at all.
So the thing that I have in mind, since it was a huge improvement for me going from an aluminum to fabric dome tweeter, is to change to an even "better" fabric tweeter and then pay a visit to the engineer in order to adjust the crossover.

29tff has a built in waveguide, according to this, do you suggest that the 29tff would be a better choice?

Seas 29tff/w only pretends to be on a waveguide. This is a proper waveguide for example, Monacor wg 300, and there is also interesting Visaton wg 148r. Waveguide decreases distortion in the critical range once it is compensated in a crossover. Stick to proper waveguides.

Attachments

• Monacor wg 300.png
    Monacor wg 300.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 331
If it's an Fs notch filter on the tweeter and a very low 1.7kHz crossover point, you should be aware that every tweeter is different on Fs and the Q. Quite an engineering task IMO.

H1318-06 29TFF/W

H1149-06 27TDC

The simple fix on metal tweeters if you find them harsh is to fit a Zobel network across the tweeter terminals. 7.5R and maybe 0.68uF in series. Rolls off the top end quite a lot.

These are all 91dB tweeters, so I suppose are fairly interchangeable. But I'd keep the volume down with 1.7kHz crossover. FWIW, the H1318-06 29TFF/W seems to have long tinsel leads, so perhaps is more suited to low crossover.

Lojzek whilst I have faith in the seas engineers, indeed the 29tff pretends to have a waveguide, not even close to a real one.

System7 of course a visit to the engineer after I change the tweeter is mandatory, but as I said before, I want to find the best sounding tweeter before I go to the engineer.

Last edited:
It's an Al/Mg alloy dome, and it does not sound "like a metal dome is known/thought to sound". The HD is ultra low, and it is immensely clear and clean. The main reason I mentioned it (despite your stated textile preferences), are your references to Seas units, and this is a new and incredible sounding device.

Different sorts, different folks,
Wolf

I've heard both tweeters, and the CDC also sounds quite good. However- I feel the Seas 27TAC/GB has the edge in better HD performance. I have not measured the HD of the CDC, but in listening the TAC gave me a wow moment. I like them both!

I'm still in the implementation stage, and plan on experimenting with an ultrasonic notch, consisting of 0.22uF/0.15mH/1.0 ohm across it. I likely won't hear it, but I'm keen to see what performance differences occur with or without.

Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.