Searching for an OB subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Impressive isn't it? :) Definitely neighbour friendly, and the fact that it doesn't travel far in your room and house has got to be good for fidelity.

Yeah, I've got couple of those MCM drivers floor-bounded in a very large slot/baffle configuration in my home theater precisely because it doesn't present any "thump" droning into other parts of the house. (..note: I should have had 8 of these rather than 2, though physically only 4 would have worked for the baffle/platform for my HT seats. With just 2 they are absolutely over-driven, but that's inaudible given the HT effects that are produced.)

For "thump" I use bass-shakers! :D

The drivers I suggested to have a gander at in post #9 I realized are larger than you were asking for, but I figured if you can go up to a 15" driver for a OB design, then 18" isn't really that much of a jump for real estate in a OB. They sound good and go pretty low in MJK's H-Frame design, and barely move at louder volumes interestingly. I use them crossed at around 70hz 24 db as subs. I wouldn't use them in H-Frames for higher up as you're wanting, but they may work well flush mounted for what you are looking for. They are not that expensive and available in Canada so they tick off those boxes. Anyhow just some thoughts etc.

I’ve been Checking out reviews of OB tower speakers. According to reviewers and there accompanying response graphs, some of these systems are extending down to 30hz and have crossover frequencies around 700hz. This particular review was for Spatial Audio branded speakers.
They look like custom Eminence woofers. I’m considering contacting them to find out what it would take to make them.

..It uses a large inductor for eq. and it's low-pass characteristic. (..I also do this, but I'm reasonable about the bandwidth it's actually good for.)

It's "extending down to 30 Hz" isn't anywhere near the average.. my guess is that 50 Hz is about as close to the average as you'll get that low in freq. (..and I doubt it's even that considering the Saphire 3's use of a second 15".)

Then there is the absolute cr@p with respect to the tweeter's use and "filter".

Non-linear distortion will be VERY high with a homebrew design like this.. (..high distortion at the lowest freq.s and very high distortion on the low-end of the tweeter.)

Basically it's a LOT of marketing BS.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.