ScanSpeak 18W/4531 in room and in Roon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I thought this group would be particularly interested in recent measurements I took for the bass in speakers I built using the SS Revelator mid-woofers. :) The listening area is a 15" x 40 " and the speakers are set up on one end of the long wall. There's an arched, open entrance on the same wall which is open to the rest of the apartment, probably making it very hard for certain room modes to form.

Anyway, here's the in room response, with and without Roon parametric EQ applied:

Right-Comparison.png

You can probably get a nice bass bump if you use a smaller than ideal cabinet. I've heard at least one maker do this and it can definitely make the speaker sound more toe-tapping. The sibling, which is further from the end of the room, did not need the same corrections. Also the mic was not ideally placed, sitting a bout at the bottom lip of the tweeter instead of straight on-axis.

TBC: I'm not trying to promote myself here, just thought you'd be interested in just how much bass these little guys can produce in a room! :)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I thought this group would be particularly interested in recent measurements I took for the bass in speakers I built using the SS Revelator mid-woofers.

TBC: I'm not trying to promote myself here, just thought you'd be interested in just how much bass these little guys can produce in a room! :)
This is my favourite mid-range for the last decade. My concern as a mid-woofer is power handling and long term reliability.

My concern as a mid-woofer is power handling and long term reliability.
For my needs, the power handling is just fine, and they've been with me for about 5 years, no problems, but I'm more of a jazz, classical and movie listener, and again, being in an apartment, I really can't rock out at all.

I have integrated them using miniDSP to a subwoofer at around 80 Hz and the sound was spectacular, so yes, I concur, they are amazing mid-range drivers too. :)

While not the cheapest, they also are so much less expensive than the equivalent ceramics and super-exotics, which I don't actually like to listen to.

Last edited:
Smilies :p ;) :D :eek: :) :( :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :tongue: :skull

snip... The listening area is a 15" x 40 " ...snip

Indeed! Must be distracted by the NFL playoffs! :D

I know we've had some lively conversations about those Scan 18W woofers.

It actually does seem the best thing to do with them is a coil and a notch with a crossover around 2.2kHz.

Troels Gravesen is quite smitten by the new Scan 18W/8542-10 :

Studio-101-mkII

I must try that crossover idea of his. It is in my back catalogue:

377922d1382302599-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-monitoraudio_r300-md_final-png

:cool:

24 hours is a long time on teh interwebs, IMO, Erik!

Goodness knows I've done some terrible posts... :eek:

But they soon get buried and forgotten. Just like poor Aaron Rodgers tonight for Green Bay. Didn't he spend most of the last matchup with the 'niners on his back? :eek:

Seems like Room Gain works just like Troels usually models it.

What did you think of Troels' new design? Studio-101-mkII

I wonder if it would work with your driver? Be interested to see some sims.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.