SB26ADC incredible value for money!

Finally, my first SB Acoustics setup, MW16P-8 + SB26ADC.

Months ago, I was browsing through this forum looking for a budget tweeter, and I couldn't help but noticed SB26ADC's good reputation. I already bought MW16P-8, which is a low distortion mid-woofer, and an idea came to my mind: how about building a low distortion system? So, after some further investigation, I found a website called HiFicompass, they've done some incredible work, and they provide a whole bunch of key measurement data. Comparing the SB26ADC Measurement to almost every tweeter I ever know, even SBA's Satori Beryllium tweeters, and on paper, SB26ADC can outperform most of them: exceptionally low distortion, linear frequency response up to 40KHz, good transient response, all in all, looks promising. So, I bought it.

Conclusion:

Considering the price, it's perfect! After some measuring and tunning, crossed at ~2200Hz, it sounds so good. I wouldn't describe it as "silky smooth", well it's not a "silk" dome, but transparent and low distorting while keeping the harshness to its minimum. Linear frequency response and low Fs make it easy to work with. Only 3 components were used in the LR2 filter, a 3.3ohm resistor, a 6.8uF capacitor, and a 0.3mH inductor. I know, it's not perfect, but these are the components on hand, so, not bad.

I listen to lots of Celine Dion and The Carpenters, close your eyes, it felt like you can discern almost every detail in her sound. I was surprised about how resolving this tweeter can be.

Watching movies? I'm a fan of Bourne movies, and after enjoying them for 4 hours, I found there's a little "imperfection" to this setup: it's too calm. That low distortion characteristics of tweeter and mid-woofer make the sound a little bit too transparent and resolving which doesn't help much when it comes to the atmosphere.

I would recommend those who are looking for a value tweeter to try it out.

It is the best tweeter I have measured, the ceramic version. Loaded with a waveguide, xover @ 1300 Hz 4th order is totally realistic.

Distortion even at > 95 dB beats that of a renowned compression driver like the Faital HF108R.

And it sounds even better.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it comes from the factory with a waveguide. I know some people have used the Visaton WG148 waveguide with it, and Augerpro has an oval shape waveguide is several sizes that has been optimized for the SB26 series tweeter.

Vacuphile - which waveguide did you use?

j.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Jim, Profiguy, the tweeter is SB26CDC, the waveguide Monacor WG-300.
I tested this combination when selecting components. During these tests, I was very impressed, but also found that a point source like a concentric speakers has a quality that other 2 way solutions miss. So they are shelved until I finish the work with the concentrics.

Reactions: 3 users
I am using the 26adc in augerpro designed 8" elliptical waveguide 3d print. I am using active crossovers, so I have done some experimentation. It can definitely cross fine at 1300 LR4 in the waveguide, 1200 sounded good too, though I am currently crossing a little higher (1500 LR4) for directivity match with the 8" midbass.

It seems like newer versions of the sb26adc/cdc are even lower distortion than the hificompass measured vintage, my measurements showed extremely low distortion even flat mounted and quite loud (>95dB). The waveguide helps it play low, but even without it can cross about as low as you'd ever expect a 1" dome to be able to.

Reactions: 1 user
When it comes to dome tweeters, I don't think it gets much better than the SB26ADC in terms of performance for dollar ratio.

Can you imagine how good it would be if they did a beryllium version of this tweeter, SB26BDC? It would probably be the most affordable be tweeter on the market and sell like beryllium hotcakes. And we could pop it straight into Augerpro's waveguides. I suppose they wouldn't want to hinder their Satori sales...

P.S. Do not attempt to make beryllium hotcakes.

Last edited:
The only thing I miss about it is an aluminium faceplate, just for a more robust feel. Would be a nice option.

Also, it really stands out among tweeters when it comes to... volume displacement. Just chceck out its crazy x-max (for a tweeter). If I recall correctly in terms of displacement(Sd x x-max) it beats the sb29 version?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
If the monney is not a concern I wisch I saw a face to face sounding review between the aluminium ScanSpeak 98000 and the fhe first price Be from SB Acoustic. At least price of the SS 98000 is near from the the SB carbon dome.
At low price the Peereless DA25TX seems not to have found its public... opinions are mixed but we did not see here too much designs with it despite the good spec and price. How strange.

Budget champion with hard dome is still the SB26ADC... authorise you to spend more on the capacitor which can not arm.

This system has the SB26CDC (nearly identical to SB26ADC), with LR4 crossover at 2 kHz. Notice the very low distortion from 2k up. This measurement was taken at 95 dB SPL at 1 meter... about -55 dB. Actually I think the distortion might be even lower, since the distortion measurement was down in my noise floor...

j.

Attachments

• HD-95db.png
    HD-95db.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 421
Reactions: 2 users