SB26ADC incredible value for money!

But I tell you what IS incredible value:

Scan-Speak D2604/83300-00.
Peerless DX25BG60.
Vifa DX25TG59-04
DX25TG09-04.
Yeah, they presents good value and augerpro's waveguides (developed for D3004/6600) probably fits for these, but they are all soft textil domes with textil sound signature (low Q break-up in the audible spectrum).
The only advantage of these over the SB26ADC is what I see is the higher sensitivity/efficiency.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry.

To be clear- only the
D2604/8330-00
DX25BG60

have Fs around 420Hz
Sensitivity 93dB/2.83V
and can crossover 1.5Khz LR4
without waveguide

All Others mentioned do NOT fall at all in the same category; I was just giving some background/context in a design almost 15 years old, made by Tymphany and first used by ProAc.

26ADC/CDC with Augerpro’s waveguide is a custom product and not a $50 off-the-shelf tweeter.

Hard or soft dome I don’t catergoriss them all the same.

I’ve never taken a liking to the SEAS 27TBFC/G despite it being a budget measurement champ… but I haven’t figured out why…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Augerpro's waveguide fit is a plus for the DX25 iterations, I just mentioned because the SB26ADC got that nice wg too, so that's a tie between them.
But also a stock SB26ADC is a $50 tweeter like the mentioned stock D2604.

I didn't heard the 27TBFC/G, I just read that it may have some problems soundwise.

Has anybody heard the Aluminium Seas 22TAF/G ?
Haven't heard it, but it measures worse than SB26ADC and SB26STCN. It's a small tweeter though. I guess it would be more fair to compare it to SB21.
Of the metal tweeters on this website, golden Audax is looking the best to my eyes. At least CSD looks as nice as their graphs of ribbon tweeters. For roughly 40dB of range it's a good result I think.
I don't remember Seas making a good metal dome. Their fabric tweeters are nice though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Of the metal tweeters on this website, golden Audax is looking the best to my eyes. At least CSD looks as nice as their graphs of ribbon tweeters. For roughly 40dB of range it's a good result I think.
I don't remember Seas making a good metal dome. Their fabric tweeters are nice though.

IMG_20180924_174914.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
But with it highish Fs, it is a > 3k/4k Hz tweeter use, no ? Does the horn change things, it has already highish efficienty without WG...

Yea its real good even without WG, but these were made to suit with the Audax HM210Z10 from about 3K, and the HM210Z10 is a 98-ish dB midrange.
So with the WG it was around "the same" and was a succes, and you can use it from 16-1700 hz (y)

Last edited:
3rd harmonic -70dB,
2nd dominant.
THD looks less impressive than SB26, but it's just 2nd harmonic. I wonder what the horn is doing to damping. Sometimes horns change the characteristic quite a lot. A horn can vibrate or have mouth reflections along with its own magic from smoothing the coupling to the air.

I’d start looking at IMD
Which is most important, when you mix high excursion with (within usable bandwidth) higher frequencies. So why is IMD so important. I can only find data with IMD for midwoofer/midranges - where you pump 30Hz into a driver together with something between 300 and 5000Hz - to see how much the excursion ruins the actual usable bandwidth.

So from an engineering point of view... I totally get why you test this, to build optimum motors, suspension and all that. But for a good well build driver that only plays in a limited bandwidth - is it really something you can hear at all - in comparisons to everything else that can easily go wrong?

I'm all for learning and spending my money - if it works. But I need help to understand this one :giggle:

The HM210z10 is beaming as soon as 1k hz. Wonder how looks like the 1k to 3 k Hz meeting ? Steep filter ?

I calculated that HM210Z10 starts to "beam" at about 2063 hz, and use it now from 350 hz up to 1850 hz.
Havent done any measurements after last modification, but to my ears it sound fantastic.

Before i try to use the HM210Z10 up to 2800-ish and it works also quite good, but you have to "toe-in" the speakers perfekt.
And i was not fully satisfied with this, when i move my body/head more then 15 cm sideways.

Here is one interesting way to use this tweeter:

The response is peaking around 900 Hz. The datasheet says Q=1.2. After flattenning out the impedance peak at Fs, apply two first order highpass filters at 1kHz (the same as one Q=0.5 second order filter). Combined with the peaking response, the passband will extend down to the low kHz range and the distortion curve is just climbing there but is not too high. To flatten or tailor the response around the crossover point use a series resistor to increase the peaking a bit. I haven't modeled it but that might be a way to crossover to this interesting driver relatively low.

One downside of this tweeter is the lowish sensitivity (around 88dB/2.83V) and low efficiency (because it's 4 Ohm) . But this is not a problem for most users. Otherwise very good indeed.

I totaly agree, i use this tweeter in my livingroom in a MTM DIY together with Faital 5FE120-8, and Peerlees sls 830667. ( 8 inch) woofer.
I really tried to get the most dB out of it when i build the filter, but i can´t do "magic" so had to leave it at the maximum 88,7-ish

Sounds great and real hard to beat for the money.....
A 92-93 dB version had been fantastic

maybe limited spl max than the sb26 serie on the down side as well ?

For some listeners like me, sure hahaha...... but it do about 111-112 dB max SPL so not bad either and i use it in my livingroom. (ordenary tv watching)
Also have much bigger speaker and amps in my basement/mancave, when i want to really listen to music or watch a "greater" movie.