SB Audience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try some single-sided tape (as in double-sided tape) on the insde of the ribs that should help diminish the ringing. Some folk use Blu-Tak
C.M

Or duct seal.

Charlie, I'd be interested to hear how this driver compares to the Eminence Deltalite you used in the 20-20k dipole project. I'm contemplating what will work well OB between a sealed woofer (Dayton 12" RSS HF) and an ESS Heil tweeter, so say from (150-200) to (1k to 2k).

Bill

Or duct seal.

Charlie, I'd be interested to hear how this driver compares to the Eminence Deltalite you used in the 20-20k dipole project. I'm contemplating what will work well OB between a sealed woofer (Dayton 12" RSS HF) and an ESS Heil tweeter, so say from (150-200) to (1k to 2k).

Bill

Hi Bill! I use the Deltalite 2515 (the 15" version). I think it's better than the 12 for OB. Even nude the 2515 can easily work from 100 or 150 Hz all the way up to 1kHz or so (although pattern is starting to narrow around 800Hz). Distortion is low, etc. Love it. In a baffle what is limiting for the upper end is how the baffle edge diffraction will cause a dip to appear above the dipole peak. If you need the driver passband to go to 1kHz, use the 2515 without a baffle. It cannot go to 2kHz no matter what you do - that is getting to breakup and the response falls off quickly just above that point. FWIW, I used it up to 1.6kHz in a project I built last year, but that was really pushing it and without DSP that would not have been possible.

Distortion for the "better Russo version" of this CD is not low, and I expect no better from the Bianco version.

I don't believe there is a Rosso version of that driver. The one tested is the Bianco model. The only Rosso comp drivers have 65mm coils.

Also of note is the predominantly second order distortion, albeit at a relatively high level relative to the fundamental.

I don't believe there is a Rosso version of that driver. The one tested is the Bianco model. The only Rosso comp drivers have 65mm coils.

Also of note is the predominantly second order distortion, albeit at a relatively high level relative to the fundamental.

Sorry, that was a typo. It is the BIANCO 12 open baffle woofer, 12OB150.

I have heard some complaints that the vents in the side of the chassis just above the top plate of the motor generate a lot of noise at high excursion. If so, that is a really stupid design choice for an open baffle specific driver!

One thing I did notice, which is a little disappointing for me but not a deal breaker, is that the basket rings. It's a stamped steel frame and there is nothing to damp it.
I happened to be cutting holes in a pair of baffles to fit an 18" driver today, so I took the round scrap pieces and cut a mounting hole for the BIANCO 12" OB woofer. The result is a round baffle of about 18" diameter with the BIANCO OB12 sitting in the center. When I dropped the driver into it, the sound became deadened enough that it should not be a problem. So I think I have that issue solved. Because the OD of the baffle is not too much larger than the driver itself, diffraction should not be a problem.

The next issue to check into is the amount of noise generated by the vents in the frame at high cone excursion.

Hi Charlie, did you perhaps check if any significant noise was produced through those small vents at high excursion, I was interested in buying a couple of BIANCO-120B150 as an upper bass driver for a new OB build ?
Also have you done any distortion tests on this driver ?

I have at present a design (one of many, speaker design seems to be addictive) which incorporates a Faital 15PR400-8 woofer for upper bass/lower midrange purposes. It unfortunately has a low Qts figure of 0.32 and is really not suitable for the purpose.

I am using a minimal baffle design in this project which means the lower response of the driver drops like a brick. Adding some series resistance (18 - 22 ohms ) does help raise the Qts somewhat but what a waste of a good driver in this circumstance.

Sorry for all the prattle but I was wondering if the BIANCO-120B150 was a good choice ?

Or possibly the BIANCO-150B350 as an alternative ?
I use a large powered OB subwoofer under all of this to lift up the lowest bass levels.

Many thanks, CM

Last edited:
Hi
I am looking for a suitable open baffle 12" midbasswoofer from 150 to 900 Hz and found the 12OB150 as a reasonable priced one.
Now I stumbled upon this thread and would love to know, If your project with the 12OB150 was successful. I want to hang it nude above a 15" H baffle, but the ringing could be a problem and I do not want to cut a ring of wood, but rather find a easier way to tame it. Is the driver worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.