Sansui toggle power switch wanted.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Heres a photo, you can see the lugs have broken off because at first, I put it back together upside down, it was working great but Off was On and Visa Versa. So when I tried to reverse it the lugs had had enough bending and two of them broke off. If the Pioneer SA-606 toggle switch is the same that would give me more scope for finding a replacement!

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 158
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I do believe I have some in my drawer, but alas we are many miles from you.

I just googled "Sansui power switch" and of course got many hits. Early among them was this, just as an example:
Sansui AU-5900 Amplifier Power Switch Part # 1170330

Looks like yours?

I'm in Western Australia. When I did a search that switch didn't come up at all? Anyway, I'll see what the postage is for it? Postage from the USA to Australia is through the roof usually. Thanks for this, I appreciate it Enzo. I have an AU-5900 and the switches look the same to me! They are not accepting new orders until early February so I've bookmarked the site and will keep checking in on them. Thanks again mate.

Last edited:
There ought to be other sources. I googled sansui power switch, then opened up the images. I then looked through them for a similar picture, clicking on the picture got me to the particular site. I didn't find it via the text hits from google.

I will check over at my storage unit to see that I still have a bag of those.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just thinking here, maybe you can solder on a narrow piece of brass stock on either side of the switch to bend over and hold the bottom on, at this point you really can't make it any worse at this point, certainly worth a try.

I thought of doing something like that but the plastic part that holds the toggle is split down the middle and shattered on one end, I tried to fix it with epoxy resin but it has broken again and one of the tiny springs is crushed out of shape. I'm thinking of getting a Bluetooth power switch for the time being so I can use the amplifier. :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I found out what the postage rate for this switch is from New York to Perth Western Australia? It is near $AU200, I kid you not. It's because of this new Global shipping service in the USA plus PayPal and eBay taking their cut as well. If you go to a US post office it will cost $US75 which works out to near $AU130. I've been looking for this Sansui P/N-1170330 switch for a few years now, Marantz used them and maybe Pioneer and some others used them too? But so far most have been for sale in the US. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to check if Japan has any new old stock or used ones? If I can't get a switch at a reasonable cost soon I'm going to have to drill out my faceplate to fit a bodgie switch? I really don't want to do that because the amplifier is fully rebuilt and a switch is all it needs to work.

Find a normal push to on switch and use it.
The Japanese switch manufacturer catalog can be consulted after making a drawing, to compare size.

There are some makers in India, but quality is less than Japan, and the shipment will be too much for a 1$ item.
I was quoted $14 for 50 grams to Argentina...just see the rates again.

Reactions: 1 user
I do have some of those, but I am up here, and you are down under there.

Considering the cost to buy a switch, what are the odds of finding a dead stereo amp somewhere and taking the switch from it. If I paid a guy $20 for a dead amp, I could take the switch and throw the rest away and come out ahead.

Use a properly rated reset type circuit breaker, it is commonly used in domestic appliances, inside or outside the unit, as you like.

Additional safety.

And yes, you can jumper ii, and fix the thing back as a dummy, so it does not look damaged.
You have a very low chance of finding a switch, Sansui itself is gone, and the switch marking may help find the maker, and if they are alive, may be shifted out of Japan...

I use a snubberred power strip, and leave the switches on, no wear then...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Japanese switch manufacturer catalog can be consulted after making a drawing, to compare size.

There are some makers in India, but quality is less than Japan, and the shipment will be too much for a 1$ item.
Using a push to on switch is easy to say but impractical to do, that was one of the first things I thought of but there is only an eighth of an inch slit for the lever to go up and down on the faceplate so the faceplate would have to be drilled out. I had a quick look for a Japanese switch manufacturer catalogue but nothing showed up

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Use a properly rated reset type circuit breaker, it is commonly used in domestic appliances, inside or outside the unit, as you like.

Additional safety.

And yes, you can jumper ii, and fix the thing back as a dummy, so it does not look damaged.
You have a very low chance of finding a switch, Sansui itself is gone, and the switch marking may help find the maker, and if they are alive, may be shifted out of Japan...

I use a snubberred power strip, and leave the switches on, no wear then... Yay! I found a New Old Stock switch from Greece that was used in vintage Aiwa products, it looks identical except for the tabs there is only three instead of six. I cant see Alps changing the tooling to make the metal parts different? He has more of these if anyone needs one? Thanks for all the replies fellas, they are much appreciated. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/324754801516