Samuel Groner's super opamp

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For those interested in where the meat is: Zo = 5R is very obviously an error. Clear for several things:

- The circuit diagram, anyone able to read a circuit can see that;

- The typ. OL gain drops 16dB when, in open loop, going from a 10K load to 600R load. Would fit reasonably with a 5k OL Zout.

I send off an error report to TI.

Jan

b_force probably meant to write "Now I would find ...".

Indeed there is potential. You can use $0.30 opamps eg in a x100 gain stage as per "Feedback Plots Define Op Amp AC Performance", Fig.9, thus optimising bandwidth and distortion vs cost. The 1/ß approach to compensation is a very clever idea.

For the G/P and Syn08 composites which are dominantly Aol-controlled type of composite, the issue is the required bandwidth of the slave opamp. If it isn't large enough the net benefit at 20kHz isn't that great.

That appnote is an all-time favorite of mine, btw. Notably the section "PHASE ONLY MATTERS AT THE INTERCEPT" is hard to swallow at first but then becomes a real eye-opener.

Headphone driver would be a very good use for this. Stability is a concern (load capacitance), though, and must be addressed.

Phono input with a single stage (like shown in the LT115 datasheet) could be another application. Again, stability conditions have to be checked.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Indeed there is potential. You can use $0.30 opamps eg in a x100 gain stage as per "Feedback Plots Define Op Amp AC Performance", Fig.9, thus optimising bandwidth and distortion vs cost. The 1/ß approach to compensation is a very clever idea.

I have most articles and a couple of books by Gerald Graeme. A man who should be read more, but for some reason never got the attention like others in the field.
His writings often offer insight rather than facts and figures.

Jan

I think, we should be discuss cheaper solution of this composite op-amp.
Example: Input stage ca be a good op-amp and output stage can be discrete op-amp. Because discrete op-amp difficult to achieve a good DC precision or very low noise, but easily achieve high slew rate and high output current capability. Target distortion 120 ~ 130 dB at 20kHz should be enough.

Last edited:

For the G/P and Syn08 composites which are dominantly Aol-controlled type of composite, the issue is the required bandwidth of the slave opamp. If it isn't large enough the net benefit at 20kHz isn't that great.

That appnote is an all-time favorite of mine, btw. Notably the section "PHASE ONLY MATTERS AT THE INTERCEPT" is hard to swallow at first but then becomes a real eye-opener.
That's correct, unfortunately it's not possible here on the DIY audio forum to edit your post after a while.

Did you already tried this with some very jelly bean components?
I was more thinking about the $10 cent range 4558 series/TL072 etc

Last edited:
That's correct, unfortunately it's not possible here on the DIY audio forum to edit your post after a while.

Did you already tried this with some very jelly bean components?
I was more thinking about the $10 cent range 4558 series/TL072 etc

This technique really comes into its own when you have the bandwidth to squeeze in all that extra loop gain, which sadly precludes a 4558. At least at modest gain values. You might be able to better leverage for an active phono preamp, but it's not a problem I've studied.

The control opamp gets all the glory but the challenging part is getting the slave opamp to work well, and it really needs to be *fast*. I don't know of any older jellybean high current opamps with 20+ MHz GBW. Otherwise you have pull almost all the gain out of the global loop to keep things stable.