Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I feed the primaries with a ramp and then view the output in the scope so I can determine wiring starts and endings.

Attachments

• ramp.png
    ramp.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 691
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The MURs are very fast but the Schottky could have intrinsic softer recovery although there is no specific data to compare the two types for that, I chose the Schottky for bit less power loss i.e. increased long term reliability for small cylindrical diodes in the higher bias builds.

But for more expensive diodes choose TO-220 types with both fast and soft characteristics as well as naturally more rugged. Like those MSR(F)860G I list in the Reflektor-D guide or anything TO-220 of nice spec you fancy. There are alternative pads in the DCSTB PCBs already.

There are alternative pads in the DCSTB PCBs already.

I'm making my own boards to save money and to have some extras. I created my own macros for the diode pads(either plastic or TO-220) very similar to Tea's.
I'll just go with Schottkys since you recommend them. The TO-220s are nice, I would think they would be a better choice for higher current demands.

The Schottkys are rated at only 1A. Are they being stressed from the initial charging of the 2200uF caps?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just populated DCSTB boards with teabag's kit.
One side works OK with +17.32V/-17.33V.
However, the other side I get the +25.45V/-25.46V.
Both side use the same transformer. Is there any suggestion for troubleshooting?

Make sure the transistors are actually in the right spot. I did this on the original build because I was having trouble with the mirrored design of it.

Here it is! Sans front and top covers but fully operational. Drilling and wiring XLRs is not what I enjoy mostly but I'm glad it works the way I did it. Please refer to the attached schematic. To be honest, I was expecting to have troubles with input XLR pin 1 connected to chassis. This is the way to connect differential amps but DCG3 isn't such. I guess signal passes through the ground lifters. I'll test it with and without SLBs.
At the time being, I've only had a brief test to confirm it delivers sound. I took the risk to connect it directly on my PCM 1792 current output DAC chip with a single 2 ohms resistor for I/V conversion. That means 11mV DC offset at the input of DCG3 but it doesn't seem to bother:) It also means that the signal level is too low. I was anxious about that because DCG3 was going to sit in place of a 18x preamp. Well it does thunderus levels as line stage and, of course rather weak as headphone amp on my 600 ohms AKG K180. But neither the 18x preamp could move them in this set up. For this, another DCG3 after the first is needed:D Did I mentioned that there is not any coupling capacitor or transformer between the DAC chip and DCG3 output?:cool:
There will be intense listening seasions during the weekend, I hope!

Attachments

• P1020006.jpg
    P1020006.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 666
  • DCG3.jpg
    DCG3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 661
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here it is! Sans front and top covers but fully operational. Drilling and wiring XLRs is not what I enjoy mostly but I'm glad it works the way I did it. Please refer to the attached schematic. To be honest, I was expecting to have troubles with input XLR pin 1 connected to chassis. This is the way to connect differential amps but DCG3 isn't such.

First balanced setup! Can I steal the pics for blog?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here it is! Sans front and top covers but fully operational. Drilling and wiring XLRs is not what I enjoy mostly but I'm glad it works the way I did it. Please refer to the attached schematic. To be honest, I was expecting to have troubles with input XLR pin 1 connected to chassis. This is the way to connect differential amps but DCG3 isn't such. I guess signal passes through the ground lifters. I'll test it with and without SLBs.
At the time being, I've only had a brief test to confirm it delivers sound. I took the risk to connect it directly on my PCM 1792 current output DAC chip with a single 2 ohms resistor for I/V conversion. That means 11mV DC offset at the input of DCG3 but it doesn't seem to bother:) It also means that the signal level is too low. I was anxious about that because DCG3 was going to sit in place of a 18x preamp. Well it does thunderus levels as line stage and, of course rather weak as headphone amp on my 600 ohms AKG K180. But neither the 18x preamp could move them in this set up. For this, another DCG3 after the first is needed:D Did I mentioned that there is not any coupling capacitor or transformer between the DAC chip and DCG3 output?:cool:
There will be intense listening seasions during the weekend, I hope!

So far so good. No drama. What is the expected 0dbV RMS level of the I/V and what gain you set in the preamp?

First balanced setup! Can I steal the pics for blog?
Tea-Bag, you did great job with the kits! DC offset @ all four outputs is less than 1mV! Of course you can use the pics for your blog. I have them in higher resolution if it helps.
I would be tempted to go with transformers here. Preserve the nature of the preamp, gain noise isolation, and simplify overall
I' ve never tested transformers. Currently I don't face any of the problems that they could address...