• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

RTR SSR Speaker Protection GB 4

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Good idea. There is not much to have a diagram as there is +v power supply. Use a 19v laptop brick of you have one lying around. If the SSR PSU is not tied to the amp PSU then you won’t have turn on thump prevention. However, as externally mounted speaker protection, it doesn’t matter where it’s mounted. It just needs >18v and 20mA to work.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just realized that I never posted the schematics and for this unit (Gen 4). PM me if you need the BOM (since it is fully built, I am not sure what you would need that for).

The schematics are useful to show how to assemble the low capacitance PSU for no turn off thump.

Attachments

• SSR-Gen2-GB4-Schematic-Nov-2021.pdf
    75.1 KB · Views: 260
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X,
A quick note to let you know that the 6- RTR SSR boards with the psu's were waiting for me when I returned from Mexico. There was extensive damage to the small box, but none of the single anti static packages were damaged. Back to building soon I hope.

MM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
According to the schematic. Com is connected supply common if AC source is also used for amp power. So if you have a separate little trafo winding just for the SSR, no common is needed. But if tapped off one of the power rail windings of the amp, common needs to be used.

1668131097209.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Okay, I think I get it now. I was going to test the aux supply with a spare transformer in which case I would have needed to populate D1 and D2 with no connection to COM. Instead I just connected the aux supply board in the amp where it belongs, at J2 I connected Pin 1 AC, and Pin 3 AC to a transformer secondary, and ran COM (Pin 2) back to main PSU ground (No D1, D2). Works as it should.

Reactions: 1 user
hi
can not get the aux supply to work i think the U1 opto is gone ( the on delay board is working fine ) with the jumper installed 63vdc feed the board from amp

i use extern a little trafo so i have 20vdc out on the aux ----- led is on

j3 2 + goes to A on the U1 opto

any idear on what i have done wrong

i can not measure anything with diode tester on the U1 opto so i thing it is gone

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Let’s see what your problem is - trying to follow your notes here. What does “J3 2 + goes to A on U1” mean? J3 pin 2 positive to anode on U1?
1670182318326.jpeg

I think you are asking why it doesn’t work when you apply +2v to X1 pin 2 which goes to the anode of U1?

Note that to use X1 for external enable, the note says that 2mA is required. I would use more than 2v maybe 3.3v minimum. Ideally a 5v open collector logic from a MCU is great if you have it. In those cases, the MCU open collector logic goes to K (cathode) and Anode goes to 5v supply. (OC sinks current from a source, here it is 5v on Anode of LED). You also need to remove J1 jumper for external enable. If you leave J1 and the LED glows, it is operating normally. It’s very hard to blow U1. It’s an LED on one side and a photodiode on the other (and that’s not connected to the input) and how often do you see a LED getting damaged?

Hope that helps. If you suspect it is damaged just install J1 and see if it works passively by applying DC to amp input and see if it cuts out (LED goes off).

Last edited:
thanks
i am sure i have made a mistake.. gave the x1 20vdc from the aux board -- i use a trafo with 12vac ---to the aux board

as you explain i shall omly have about 3 to 5vdc to x1 so i need to use a resistor to give the 2ma --- if i calculate that rigth this resistor must be 10kohm --

does that sound right

best Bjarne