RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk

Joined 2020
Paid Member
The Emerald has no rumble filter, none of my phono stage designs do. True rumble is about 1 Hz, and should be attenuated by the output coupling cap, but cartridge resonance 5-10 Hz wont be, since the 3dB of the output RC filter is going to end up about 4-5 Hz typically. One simple thing you can try if you don't want to use the separate filter circuit is to just use a small capacitor for C3. The value depends on the impedance of the following stage, but say 0.47 uF or even 0.33 uF would still get you 98% of your bass response while attenuating the infrasonic by 10-20 dB.

Hi Richard, I have observed rumble on some records using the Emerald, I can see the woofer cone drifting slowly and in some cases pulsing. My Emerald has the 2.2uF output caps specified in the schematic. Wouldn't higher value capacitance like 3.3uF work well to clip the rumble (0.48Hz instead of 0.72Hz)? I'm mostly asking in case such a substitution would have unintended consequences. Thank you.

Edit: oh, nm. Flawed logic.

Last edited:

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, flawed logic. ;) The reverse - making the coupling cap smaller - would work in principle, but since the 1st order filter slope is shallow it will also start to cut into your bass frequency response. A true rumble filter has a much sharper response so as to cut infrasonic more with less impact on audio.

That said you are welcome to try reducing to 1 uF or 0.47 uF as there is no risk involved outside of losing a little bass.

The source of rumble is cantilever/tonearm resonance + record warp. If it can be addressed at the turntable side you don't need to band-aid fix the problem at the preamplifier end.

Reactions: 1 user
Emerald is truly versatile! I I tried changing the output to full bipolar discrete and it sounded great, sounded more energy, bass, musical and juicy . Probably put stress on the supply and I may have to bypass the s reg shunt.

But it's sure a quick way to try different stuff sometimes with very interesting results.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A quick update to note that airmail shipping from me in Japan to the United States is now possible again.

UK and Canada are still surface only however.

Elsewhere it's all over the place: The Netherlands yes, Sweden, Denmark and Finland no, Germany no, Belgium yes, France no.

You can confirm the current status at the Japanpost website, here.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What do you think about Ada 4898-1

As the 2nd stage only.

From a quick perusal of the datasheet, it appears to be designed for instrumentation rather than audio. As such it's optimized for operation at frequencies somewhat above the audio band. The bandwidth at 30 dB gain would be 2 Mhz, making it more sensitive to RFI and such than an audio-specific op amp like the OPA27. There's also something odd about the power design, it appears to have asymmetrical current draw with the V+ current is 7.5 mA and the V- current 0.1 mA.

In short, it should probably be safe and functional but I doubt it will sound exceptional.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Step-up transformers increase the signal, but adhere to the well-worn electrical engineering principle of "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

As a general rule single-ended amplification will yield lower output noise than differential amplification.

The reason to use differential amplification in the first place is that you need to cancel out high common-mode noise, so you accept the trade-off of the higher self-noise. Common-mode noise is not normally a concern in phono stages, so there is no point in taking the hit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Rjm can this phono fit for an at100e Audiotecnica cartridge (100 to 220pF capacitance load) or do I need to add something to the schematic?
With the cartridge-loading PCB module [aka "The SwitchBoard"] , you can customize your loading options by stuffing it differently , so "yes" you can accommodate the Audio-Technica AT-100E 'easily'.

Last edited:
I finished my Emerald

Very nice sound, with temporary LT1115 opa

Thanks
Stefano

Attachments

• Emerald - 1.jpeg
    Emerald - 1.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 205