RIP Siegfried Linkwitz

Kismet somewhere on the internet got me to his site, and compelled me to write him for a visit at his home in 2015.

What a kind family to open their home to strangers wanting / hoping to find that next speaker nirvana.

Despite this being Holiday Season, not only did Siegfried agree to see me, but he spent the better part of 2-hours allowing me to listen to my heart's content- all the while letting me hear the difference between the LX-mini and LX521.4. And it wasn't like he could throw a switch, he had to physically move cables and settings on the MiniDSP 4x10HD. Not a fun thing when you're 80+ to get on your knees and bend to move cables. Nonetheless, he did it with the glee that you may find the "magic" he heard.

Meanwhile his beautiful wife shared Siegfried with strangers, and even managed to bring us a snack.

He was not only passionate and a true scientist in the world of speaker-builders, he was an ambassador to his love of music reproduction.

RIP Siegfried
:) neil
Jacksonville, FL

I built my first pair of LXMinis a few months ago, having stumbled onto his website, which is loaded with an amazing amount of information and real audio science. None of the voodoo and hype of most high-end audio; his speakers are amazing and the approach well-supported by his research.

To think that all of his work, including the Linkwitz-Riley crossovers, etc., was the result of his HOBBY—his day job was as an RF Engineer at HP.

What a giant! He will be missed, but his legacy is huge. RIP, SL.

Sometime you meet someone out of the blue and he makes an indelible impression in you for life. Seigfried Linkwitz has been one such person for me.

In 2001 after reading about his ‘Cosine Burst Generator’ in his website I wrote to him. I got an immediate reply. I was visiting the US and asked him if I can listen to the Phoenix at any of the constructor’s place in the Bay Area. Prompt came the reply and he invited me to visit his home at Corte Madera.

I was half a world away in India, a nobody, and the person who invented the Linkwitz Reiley XO has invited me at his home. I could not contain my happiness.

Initially the meeting was scheduled for an hour or so, but when we got listening and talking I realised I had spent over three hours with this great man.

As you all know SL was an extremely polite and humble man. He made me feel extremely comfortable, and answered to all my ignorant queries making me feel as if I had asked some very intelligent questions. He showed me around the house, his lab, his notebook and the garden behind his house where he used to take open air measurements.

Mrs. Linkwitz joined us. She was surprised that I had come from India to meet her husband. I told her, how famous her husband was globally. She said “Is it??”

During those initial years, I corresponded a lot with SL. I learnt enormously from him. He was a true engineer. With science he proved every theory he put forward and gave us the opportunity to listen to music the way it sounds when it was being performed. He enhanced our love for music.

Mr. Seigfried Linkwitz, you will never be forgotten. You left us too soon.

Angshu

Burning Amp will not be quite the same again...

I was happy to have chatted with him briefly several times, helping to bring his speakers from the car park to his Burning Amp room mostly. A love chap and lovely family. I do hope his lovely wife will one day visit on us at a future Burning amp.