Richard Lee's Ultra low Noise MC Head Amp

It might be useful to do a sensitivity analysis on device match for paralleling.
The effect is surprisingly mild.
I created a ZTX851-B with 2/3 Hfe of the ZTX851.
Then I adjusted the base resistance from 6k5 to 5k9 to keep the total current through the transistors in both cases at 5.5mA.

Result in noise goes from 22.616nV to 22.618nV, almost no difference at all !

Hans

Attachments

• Dual Duraglit1.png
    Dual Duraglit1.png
    83 KB · Views: 273
Then I adjusted the base resistance from 6k5 to 5k9 to keep the total current through the transistors in both cases at 5.5mA.

Good, there is Vbe match too possibly more important. The emitter ballast resistors hurt the noise and at a couple of milliamps 1 Ohm does not do much. I don't know the distribution one might expect, but it only takes 18mV for 2:1 ratio. Usually the need for matching is overstated, it might be nice to put a number on it.

As a next step, I gave the ZTX851-B a 5mV Vbe offset, still keeping the total current through the transistors at 5.5mA.
Noise went up a tiny little bit to 22.632nV.
For the time being, this circuit seems quite resistive to individual transistor differences,

Hans

Attachments

• Dual Duraglit2.png
    Dual Duraglit2.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 264
Wayne has done some measurements, as well as coming up with a quick and nifty matching jig. On small samples 80% are within 500uV on Vbe. Hfe varies from 140-200 with the main hump being 140-160.

With all respect, the temp coeff of a semiconductor lies around 2mV/degree.
You will need a robot in a temp controlled room to measure Vbe differences of 500uV !
Picking them up by hand is already enough to let the Vbe change several mV.

Hans

Joined 2014
Paid Member
This is 10 pulled out a bag at random. I did say 'small samples'. And I do know that for you a small sample used to be 10^5. :)

Wayne is selling a few of his MC stages to record cutters out there, so I will keep an eye if he notes any shift across batches. I certainly wouldn't use this data to start a volume run.

It might be useful to do a sensitivity analysis on device match for paralleling.
I think that matching will not be really critical.
If I simulate the Duraglit with e.g. 6mA Ic the resulting noise en noise density is 173pV/rtHz (for the amp alone, Rs = 0), If current is simply doubled, noise reduces to 140 pV/rtHz. If two transistors are in parrallel with 6mA each, noise reduces to 122pV/rtHz. This lower value can be explained as in the later case, Rbb of the transistors is also halved while for doubled Ic alone, everything is halving except Rbb.
If transistors are slightely mismatched, the reulting net penalty in noise performance will be small (result will be between 122pV/rtHz and 140pV/rtHz from the example above)

Result in noise goes from 22.616nV to 22.618nV, almost no difference at all !

Hans
That is exactely what I found (one of my posst from a couple of weeks ago) when creating ZTX device models with Hfe of 100, 200 and 300 (min, typ and max values from datasheet) and simmed various combinations out of them including paralleling two of such different devices. When adjusting the collector current by changing the base resistors, performance was not changing at all.
I also measured about 40 ZTX transistors (npn and pnp each) from 3 different batches, the Hfe spread was well within the datasheet spec range (min. for npn 148, max for npn 235, min for pnp 175, max for pnp 255). Vbe differences were smaller than 10mV.

Last edited:
You need 2SK363 BL or V grade (Vp<-0.5V) and to cross your fingers. The JFET will be at the very limit of saturation, too close to my taste to the linear region. Vds>Vgs-Vp~-0.5+1.2=0.7V since Vpmax=-1.2V. It could work, but I personally would not use such a JFET active load for a power supply voltage of less that 3.5V. Otherwise, for 2.5V, you have only 1.25V for a Vbe of 0.6V and the remainder 0.65V to keep the JFET in saturation.

I use 2sk369V.
At ~500µA, saturation is obtained with Vds ~100mV.
I have not the possibility to make a proto until 2 or 3 weeks.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to add it to the compendium.
No problem, but I think it is still improvable.

The pure simplicity of the Duraglit, despite some Hfe concerns, is still a thing of beauty to my eyes.
Hans

I completely agree