Richard Lee's Ultra low Noise MC Head Amp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The Sept 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound reveals their 2019 Golden Ear Awards. Have a look at page 66, in which reviewer Andre Jennings gives a Golden Ear award to the Channel D Lino C Phonostage:

Channel D Lino C 2.0 is a current-mode (transimpedance) phonostage for low-output, low-impedance, moving coil cartridges. The electronic circuitry is direct-coupled (no coupling capacitors), and said to have wide bandwidth, low distortion, and ultra-low noise. Powered by an internal, automatically recharging, high-current AGM lead/acid battery ....

Sonically, the Lino C 2.0 is very linear and coherent-sounding, sure-footed, and solidly grounded (non fidgety) with music reproduction. These characteristics allow the music to flow with little to no aggression from any of the cartridges I used on any of the music played through the device. ... the result is completely non-fatiguing in any way, while summoning a sense of serenity around music playback. The resulting soundstage is reproduced with excellent width and depth, instrument location, performance interplay, and musical timbre, provided those features are recorded on the albums.

Sounds like it might be a virtual ground.

The Sept 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound reveals their 2019 Golden Ear Awards. Have a look at page 66, in which reviewer Andre Jennings gives a Golden Ear award to the Channel D Lino C Phonostage:

Sounds like it might be a virtual ground.
For sure, one might question the decision to DC couple a phono pre-amp, but I suppose it has an offset servo. In case you did not realize if it's for Channel D it is most likely a fixed gain amp with no equalization.

EDIT- RIAA is an option so I assume the no capacitors at all in the signal path does not apply in that mode. I would be interested in how this is configured because I'm sure it flies in the face of normal thoughts concerning overload margins.

Last edited:
I think I could live on Faroer. As long as I have Internet, electricity and Digikey connection.

:)

< DSC_3933_Dxo | Gerhard Hoffmann | Flickr >
To Hell with your Digikey connection.
I ordered two days ago Nichicon caps from Digikey Netherlands.
Today DHL came to deliver and told me I had to pay import duties, almost exceeding the value of the components !!
Nothing while ordering made me aware of the fact that the goods had to come from the US and that import duties had to be paid.
Very misleading and reason enough to refuse the shipment.

Hans

I have never ever paid duties on anything that came from Digikey.
There is just the German 19% import VAT and it is handled by DK,
appears on the bill and is included in the VISA transaction before the
final "buy it now". Transport is via UPS / Cologne.

On the other hand, everything that comes via DHL Leipzig makes
trouble. For example the boards I buy now & then at PCBway.
10 boards 100*100 mm are $5. Be careful, 5 mm more than quintuples
the price, as I found out with my newest crystal oscillator support board
on Sunday.

But normally it's $5 for production and $20...26 for DHL, the exact
value is different each time but also paid via PCBway. The trouble
starts when the parcel hits the ground in Leipzig. Customs do not
accept the value of $5. 10 boards must not be a private activity but
industrial. Be prepared to have an EORI number. Prove the amount
of payment with a scan of your VISA bill. It seems to help to send
them the URL of the PCBway order screen. I made the friendly
proposal that they could order their own 10 boards; I would help with
the artwork for free. :D

The cost of transport counts for the final value of the goods. If you
really have to pay something, DHL offer to do that for you and
collect it from you at your doorstep. Maybe they pay $8 on duties,
then they want $8 from you plus some €16 standard fee for
providing capital. Technically they lend you $8 for 12 hours. Bad deal
if there ever was one. Always give a bank account or VISA for the
customs.

Stuff from Mouser comes via FedEx / Paris CDG. With them, I also
never had trouble.

regards, Gerhard

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
To Hell with your Digikey connection.
I ordered two days ago Nichicon caps from Digikey Netherlands.
Today DHL came to deliver and told me I had to pay import duties, almost exceeding the value of the components !!
Nothing while ordering made me aware of the fact that the goods had to come from the US and that import duties had to be paid.
Very misleading and reason enough to refuse the shipment.

Hans

That’s weird. I’m using RS, Mouser and DK here in the UK and never get that issue - all duties and transport costs always included.

Have you tried Reichelt? They don’t always carry the brands or the range of the professional distributors but I’ve gotten some good deals on branded parts from them (great BTW for Wima caps - half the price of anything here in the UK and also good for consumables like solder etc).

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hans, I just checked my end. If I don’t select ‘import duties and carriage will be paid by the Supplier’ then I am responsible for paying the duties and the transport. If you don’t select this option, you will have to pay it (makes a difference to the pricing). Should be the same your side as well.

Hans, I just checked my end. If I don’t select ‘import duties and carriage will be paid by the Supplier’ then I am responsible for paying the duties and the transport. If you don’t select this option, you will have to pay it (makes a difference to the pricing). Should be the same your side as well.

Thank you.

I just switched to Mouser.
I called them and they gave me the guarantee that just like Farnell they take the import duties.
So I placed my order at Mouser.

Digikey told me that when delivery is refused, they will pay me back.
Anxiously waiting if, when and to what amount that shall happen.

Hans

I just entered a test order.
No warning, no box that I could check.
I’m afraid that in the Dutch translation on the Digikey site this box got lost, or it is hidden somewhere deep down inside where nobody ever comes.

Hans

Yeah - I prefer Mouser over all the others. Superb service.

By far here in NA I prefer Arrow. Best prices, sometimes half of DigiKey/Mouser. They have a nasty habit though, they occasionally make 5-6 shipments out of a single order (and one reasonable shipping charge), meaning I can be dinged with multiple brokerage fees. Still 100% worth of.

Not recommended for Europe, shipping, taxes and brokerage will rip you off.

Digi-Key has only one stocking location -- Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA. Small farm town; nearest airport is Fargo ND. They ship everywhere in the world in record speed from that location.

I was a customer from day one almost, I got a $0.01 credit memo on my first order because they were short one in stock on a carbon comp resistor. It was a little mini-punch card. Still held privately by the founder, Ronald Stordahl. This is funny...

Birthday: 11/9/1943
Political Party: Unaffiliated/Non Affiliated
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Religion: Christian
Income: $20 - $29,999
Net Worth: $50,000 - $99,999
Relationship: Single
Kids: Info Pending...

Ronald has yet to verify this information. See any inaccuracies? Edit for Free