revisited, woofs in series............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, having 2 8ohm woofers in series, the qts shoots up, similar to an 8ohm resistor hooked up in series ?

so the box would need to be way bigger than simply double what a single driver needs ?

It does make sense, similar to how a baffle step inductor does throw the qts off a bit...………………...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Revisiting TMM vs MTM vs TMW in Vituix...now that I am understanding better what I see in the polar...all 3 of those configurations seem to have comparable polar width on the vertical plane...

Have a look what happens when you move the XO down to where the centre-to-centre is less than a quarer wavelength of the XO.

dave

all else the same...yeah it is...keep spacing the same, same XO....go from TM to MTM just add another mirror polar at XO....TMM the vertical sweet spot is about the same beamwidth as TM and MTM....

Polar width is likely too crude of a word to use...to be more exact...the vertical sweet spots are comparable between the 3.
I know I am leaving out a lot of other details...but if its not in the sweet spot....its not that important is it? Yes, I know, even off axis response, is desirable...but on the vertical plane...this aspect gets neglected a lot from what I've seen....only MTM would offer a symmetrical polar on the vertical axis yet its still no where ideal.... non of them are idea until you move the XO down to where the centre-to-centre is less than a quarter wavelength of the XO.

A document you say....teaser lol

Last edited:
If its not under a quarter wavelength then its wrong. lol I'm just being overly critical about it...of course we set standards and try to stick to them....10-15+/- degress at XO is fine for genelec its fine for us right!?

Attachments

• PolarBlues.jpg
    PolarBlues.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
This is a lovely mess.

Have you considered the change in loudspeaker parameters when going from having the terminals shorted to having another loudspeaker hooked to it in series. The resonant frequency and Q will change,

It doesn't. Assuming identical drive units, Fs & Q are unchanged relative to a single driver for a series-wired pair, so you design your box for the series pair using the same Fs, Qt, with doubled Re, Mms, B*L, Sd and Vas. Job-jibbed.

Putting speakers in parallel puts a heavier load on the amp, but that is the amplifier's job.

True, but within reason, most amplifiers will have lower distortion when pumping less current. The main issue with series wiring is with dissimilar units; compliance in particular can be variable. So it's generally best done, especially if they share the same volume, with drivers made to close tolerance, where any differences are small enough to be insignificant.

Good talk.

And true, I would enjoy To hear a mtm more as a point source if the sizes worked out.

Even 2 x 4” with 2” flanged tweet, ideally cross thinking a 10” driver, so 1.4khz.
Not many tweets like it that low.

But I had 3 rat shack lineaum ribbon mtm center channel.
Probably crossing above 3khz.
3 across the front, amazing, just no midbass.
They certainly didn’t follow the point source rule.

And the Klipsch epic line cf3 mtm had 10” drivers and the center horn was close to 10” top to bottom. It crossed 1.5khz. The cf4 had 12’s, same horn, also crossed at 1.5khz. And there was an inch between woof frames and the tweet horn also.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.