Reverse Xover Calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've found many calculators that suggest components for xover design. I'm trying to figure out where my high pass is set in the speakers I have.

First There is a 5.1 ohm resistor in line then a 6.2 uf cap also in line then a .30mh inductor across a Dayton 1 1/8 silk dome tweeter that has a nominal 8 ohm rating.

Does anyone know of a calculator where you enter in what you have and it gives you your current crossover point.

Thanks Panomaniac. Passive crossover designer looks great. Problem is I use a Mac. My wife has a pc but without excel. I think I'll get excel for her laptop and install it there.

2.8K!!! That makes sense, The speakers are missing the upper mids. I know the woofer rolls off about 2K. All the calculators say I need a 6uf cap and a .8mh inductor. Does your program say that will get me closer to 2K?

I'm wondering if the .3 coil was put in there by mistake

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks to me like 5uF + .5mH and 5R in series ought to get you to 2K Bessel electrically.

5-5-5 Or drop to 4uF and be at a 2KHz L/R curve, more or less.

We have the Home Edition of MS office. Much cheaper than the business version and you can run it on 3 computers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, 2nd order Butterworth @ 2KHz (electrical) with 4dB attenuation looks like:
9uF, 0.4mH, 4R series

The values get tricky because of the big impedance peak at 650Hz. But PCD says this is what is needed.
That said, spreading the x-over freqs. but just 800Hz is probably a good thing. But you can try lower on the tweeter to find out.

I got a copy of Office Home Student at Fry's for $89.00. Not bad, Staples wanted $149.

I'm going to try open office on my mac, It will be great if that works!

It's all up and running. I printed out the user manual and will read through that a couple times.

Is there an online library for FRD and ZMA files? I'm using the Dayton Classic 8" woofer and the 1 1/8 Silk Dome tweeter.

That said, spreading the x-over freqs. but just 800Hz is probably a good thing. But you can try lower on the tweeter to find out.
Pano, I'm not understanding what you meant by this.

Slightly off topic-- Does the 6 ohm series resistor change the nominal imp. of the tweeter. For example if I was using one of the simple online crossover calculators would I now enter something other than 8 ohms specified by the manufacturer when calculating?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.