Reverse Xover Calculator

ss007

2009-12-04 4:05 am
I've found many calculators that suggest components for xover design. I'm trying to figure out where my high pass is set in the speakers I have.

First There is a 5.1 ohm resistor in line then a 6.2 uf cap also in line then a .30mh inductor across a Dayton 1 1/8 silk dome tweeter that has a nominal 8 ohm rating.

Does anyone know of a calculator where you enter in what you have and it gives you your current crossover point.

ss007

Thanks Panomaniac. Passive crossover designer looks great. Problem is I use a Mac. My wife has a pc but without excel. I think I'll get excel for her laptop and install it there.

2.8K!!! That makes sense, The speakers are missing the upper mids. I know the woofer rolls off about 2K. All the calculators say I need a 6uf cap and a .8mh inductor. Does your program say that will get me closer to 2K?

I'm wondering if the .3 coil was put in there by mistake

Pano

Administrator
Paid Member
2004-10-07 6:05 am
Panama
Looks to me like 5uF + .5mH and 5R in series ought to get you to 2K Bessel electrically.

5-5-5 Or drop to 4uF and be at a 2KHz L/R curve, more or less.

We have the Home Edition of MS office. Much cheaper than the business version and you can run it on 3 computers.

Pano

Administrator
Paid Member
2004-10-07 6:05 am
Panama
OK, 2nd order Butterworth @ 2KHz (electrical) with 4dB attenuation looks like:
9uF, 0.4mH, 4R series

The values get tricky because of the big impedance peak at 650Hz. But PCD says this is what is needed.
That said, spreading the x-over freqs. but just 800Hz is probably a good thing. But you can try lower on the tweeter to find out.

ss007

I got a copy of Office Home Student at Fry's for $89.00. Not bad, Staples wanted $149.

I'm going to try open office on my mac, It will be great if that works!

It's all up and running. I printed out the user manual and will read through that a couple times.

Is there an online library for FRD and ZMA files? I'm using the Dayton Classic 8" woofer and the 1 1/8 Silk Dome tweeter.

That said, spreading the x-over freqs. but just 800Hz is probably a good thing. But you can try lower on the tweeter to find out.
Pano, I'm not understanding what you meant by this.

Slightly off topic-- Does the 6 ohm series resistor change the nominal imp. of the tweeter. For example if I was using one of the simple online crossover calculators would I now enter something other than 8 ohms specified by the manufacturer when calculating?

Last edited: