REV33: Here's some snake oil for you to sink your teeth into

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was referring to this
557397d1467226479-rev33-heres-some-snake-oil-you-sink-your-teeth-into-rev33-dwng.png

Link on first page

Damn, that is frustrating. Why's it always got to be like this with these products? Just tell us the damn output impedance already. It's not like they'd even be directly revealing any "secrets" about the product itself...

It's not the REV33's output impedance that he wants. He wants to know what source impedance the REV33 was designed to work with.

Since they say nothing about specific amplifiers, I think it's pretty clear that it's intended to be used with whatever amplifier the customer has. And since most headphone amps have output impedances of around 5 ohms or less, I think it would be fine to just test up to around 5 ohms or so. There are some extremes out there, but they're in a distinct minority.

se

On stage gets loud, so those IEM's get cranked, and that's when the trouble starts.
When I do follow spot on really loud shows, I have to crank my talkback headset to get over stage/PA sound, add to that the vocal cues from the LD are almost shouted and buried in room sound....it can get pretty hard to understand whats coming down the line.
After a couple of hours of this our ears are cooked....fortunately the talkback systems run pretty savage lows and highs filtering, elsewise our ears would be shredded/bleeding.
On stage/production side is a whole different situation to listening to a few tunes on your iPod.

So, rolling out the highs/hash is the first thing to do to protect hearing/reduce ear fatigue.
With less HF junk, the ears 'open up'/don't shut down, and lower SPL is required to achieve better intelligibility/pitching.....win/win situation.

$150.00 for the REV33, jumper cable and leather pouch (and development/custom dies/premises/labour etc...etc)...could/would any of us do it for any less ???.

Dan.

Last edited:
On stage gets loud, so those IEM's get cranked, and that's when the trouble starts.
Rolling out the highs/hash is the first thing to do to protect hearing.
With less HF junk, the ears 'open up'/don't shut down, and lower SPL is required to achieve better intelligibility/pitching.....win/win situation.

Except that they claim "The REV33 does not process or analyze the audio signal..."

$150.00 for the REV33, jumper cable and leather pouch (and development/custom dies/premises/labour etc...etc)...could any of us do it for any less ???

Pretty sure they're made in China, so yes.

se

Another way of saying that it is passive.

Nonsense. A passive circuit can most definitely process the audio signal.

Read this:

REV33 | A look inside the REV33

They claim they don't process the signal, but rather make your earbuds/headphones operate more linearly.

It's funny though. Among the headphones in their list are the Audeze LCD-2s, which are planars and present a purely resistive load. So it doesn't even qualify for 1 and 2.

Ya gotta have proof before you can say that.

No I don't. I simply said I was pretty sure, not that it was definitive.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.