Return-to-zero shift register FIRDAC

Let's move the GB onto the next stage. We seem to have a healthy level of interest.

I've set the spreadsheet back to read-only for you guys and have updated several columns for indicative costs and deposit amounts - apologies for going the deposit route but my experience with previous GB's is that there are generally a few who don't follow-up on an initial interest. I'll PM each of you with information on paying the deposits and as I receive each one I'll update the spreadsheet cells from amber to green. I will allow five days to receive the deposits and will order PCBs based on the confirmed orders, which might change the final costs - no deposit payment means no guarantee of getting PCBs. Payment will be via Paypal 'Family and Friends'.

Here's the latest spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uKnO0GdXeRVG1_gdMzKvs1F0184cyWlzM4Ul6nbt7Io/edit#gid=0

I've just found out that I'm limited to five PMs per 24hr period! I'll send out further PMs later but in the meantime you can still make a deposit payment to commit to the GB - the amounts are in the amber coloured cells on the spreadsheet. Please send payments via Paypal 'Family and Friends' to 'ray dot paice at sky dot com'.

Cheers

Ray

We have two more DIY Audio members joining the group buy so I have updated the spreadsheet again as it means I will likely have to increase the quantity of PCBs from 25 to 30 - it makes minimal difference to individual costs though.

It is possible that we'll end up with some spare boards if I do go for the 30, if that is the case I'll offer them for sale in the marketplace with any proceeds going as a donation to DIY Audio - I hope everyone is happy with that as an appropriate compromise?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So, with all but one deposit received I have pulled the trigger on the PCB order. The costs varied from the quote by just a pound or so and I've updated the spreadsheet with the actuals.

The order is currently being reviewed but I expect it to go to production in the next few hours. Estimated production time is 4-5days and shipping about the same again so I expect to have onward shipped all the PCBs by around mid-December.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I've recently build a dsc2 dac with the dsd modulator by olo111 (many thanks to him). It's not yet in a case but i enjoy the sound a lot, very easy to listen without fatigue. I don't like to rely on a computer for the dsd conversion, but i quickly try hqplayer yesterday. With the highest settings hqplayer seems indeed a little bit better than the fpga modulator, but frankly not from a big margin, so i am happy with it.

I was wondering what kind of difference i can expect between the dsc 2 and the RTZ ? I read the thread but i don't think there was a direct comparison, only technical and not in term of (subjective) listening.

Also marcel was talking of a pcm to dsd board, if i understand correctly there is already some verilog code for it with the tube dac. olo111 also evoke a RTZ version of it's modulator, but i don't understand everything. Like the dsc2 i would prefer avoid rely on a computer.

I was wondering what kind of difference i can expect between the dsc 2 and the RTZ ? I read the thread but i don't think there was a direct comparison, only technical and not in term of (subjective) listening.
I have Valve DAC, DSC2 and Marcel's prototype RTZ but I have not done an objective comparison - they've been used in some different contexts and I consider all of them to be excellent and very listenable. I did post some listening observations between Valve and RTZ DACs earlier in this thread and that was with the exact same DSD data input arrangement and 'downstream' headphone based system. I suggest the best thing would be to build RTZ and form your own view of whether you prefer one to the other.