Resistor Sound Quality Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• alens.jpg
    alens.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 481
I read the first post a couple of times and do not understand the excitement therafter.

The post starter published a description of his subjective sonic impressions of his audio equipment with different resistor types in one position.
The emphasis is of course subjective.

There was no mention of distortion or frequency response measurements or whatever else.
So it is not a scientific publication based on facts and can be subjected to scrutiny.
Anyone is entitled to his subjective impressions and to the freedom of choice.

So what is there to argue ?
Or people just have too much time during Corona ?

Cheers,
Patrick

In my "test" (no double blind just build and listen) the resistors were very different and the difference in the performance of the circuits was obvious in the measurements. I'm skeptical, but curious, about how you got audible differences out of resistors that are not so different.

Maybe its not the usual things we look for (e.g. FR, HD, Noise floor). How about noise modulation? At least its something measurable with existing technology :)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I read the first post a couple of times and do not understand the excitement therafter.

The post starter published a description of his subjective sonic impressions of his audio equipment with different resistor types in one position.
The emphasis is of course subjective.

Hi Patrick,

I think the problem in the first post was
I tried to listen to the faults and not what I like best to be as objective as possible

Red rag, bull, usual :)

The noise floor is the obvious culprit. Raising the noise floor can be perceptible. The wider tolerance of resistors (1% vs 10%) could throw the channels off by maybe around 1 dB.

I don't know what it really was, but the difference was there. The circuit worked perfectly fine with the cheap resistors, though.

There would be measurable differences between the circuits. Besides noise and gain differences, the Dale resistors are much more stable long term, and have much lower temperature coefficients. You could easily measure performance change with temperature. And I've seen the Radio Shack resistors drift with long term service and even fail. They're the cheap of the cheap (I've got a lot of them) and pretty much only go into prototypes and test circuits.

Last edited:
I do know that there are a number of theories and a quick search will show them to anyone who is interested, I am not qualified to discuss them though, sorry.

I'm at a loss what to look at without a little direction from you. I know there's a lot of woo and BS out there and I'd rather not look at that. ;)

But if it doesn't conflict with what we know as facts, then it might be worth a look. I'm already educated in psychoacoustics and the physiology of hearing, and I have no intention of slogging through a bunch of BS. :)

Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
Well, as I said I'm not qualified and I didn't realise there was a lot of misinformation about how the ear works so perhaps you are in a better position than me to decide what are the facts. Perhaps if you search theories about how the ear works it might help us all in filtering out the misinformation?

I know what you're talking about but I don't know how perceptible it would be.

ESS claims they have proprietary research showing that humans are exquisitely sensitive to noise modulation by the audio signal, and that at least some humans that don't hear it naturally can be trained to hear it. In fact, ESS claims they trained their corporate executive team to hear it (except for Martin Mallinson who said he couldn't learn to hear it due to hearing damage).

That's obviously only anecdotal, but seems to me it might be enough for someone to check if resistor 'sound' can be correlated with measured noise modulation.

ESS claims they have proprietary research showing that humans are exquisitely sensitive to noise modulation by the audio signal,

I wouldn't be surprised. Our hearing is very sensitive to intermodulation distortion too.

Remember, our hearing didn't evolve to listen to compressed recordings of music through stereo speakers. Music in our living room is an illusion, plain and simple. There's no piano, let alone someone to play it.

Our hearing evolved to hear rustles in the bushes, and then to locate said rustles. That was life and death not so long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.