Request for SEOS-24 and Yuichi A290 comparision

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excuse my little knowledge and slightly off-topic question here, but trying to learn: the picture Patrick posted is of a JBL 4622 2-way, it seems? I see it uses the 2384 horn djk is using, but with 2430H 3" compression driver instead of the smaller driver djk is using. I guess that is why djk was referring to making a mouth extender/adaptor. I couldn't find the crossover point for the 4622, not any frequency response charts.

I'm wondering how good the 2384 with a good 2" driver (Community M200) would be as a midrange horn (500-2500Hz)? Maybe there are better options?
Sorry to be off-topic, but wanted to gather opinions here since several knowledgeable folks are participating.

Hi Lewinski,

The 2430H driver has a 3" diaphragm, but a 1.5" throat, which suits perfectly for the 2384 horn which also has a 1.5" throat. It is not recommended to use a 2" driver for a 1.5" throat - not even with an adaptor. Besides presumably sounding excellent (haven't heard it myself, although I would like to!), the good thing about using the 1.5" 2435H Be driver with the 2384 horn is that no additional tweeter is required:).

Best regards
Peter

Excuse my little knowledge and slightly off-topic question here, but trying to learn: the picture Patrick posted is of a JBL 4622 2-way, it seems? I see it uses the 2384 horn djk is using, but with 2430H 3" compression driver instead of the smaller driver djk is using. I guess that is why djk was referring to making a mouth extender/adaptor. I couldn't find the crossover point for the 4622, not any frequency response charts.

I'm wondering how good the 2384 with a good 2" driver (Community M200) would be as a midrange horn (500-2500Hz)? Maybe there are better options?
Sorry to be off-topic, but wanted to gather opinions here since several knowledgeable folks are participating.

My time with the 2435 driver pretty much confirms DJK's opinion of it. I am using it in big 60 degree radial horns and it's midrange response is on another level than the Community driver. I think it's also pretty safe to say it is better than the Beyma AMT in the midrange and treble. In these horns I can cross as low as 400 cycles so a two way is almost a no brainer.

I do not have the JBL 2384 horns for these yet. I imagine they are better than my radials.

My time with the 2435 driver pretty much confirms DJK's opinion of it. I am using it in big 60 degree radial horns and it's midrange response is on another level than the Community driver. I think it's also pretty safe to say it is better than the Beyma AMT in the midrange and treble. In these horns I can cross as low as 400 cycles so a two way is almost a no brainer.

I do not have the JBL 2384 horns for these yet. I imagine they are better than my radials.

Thanks for the input!
So the 2435 beats the Community M200 in the 400 to 2000Hz also, or when the treble is taken into consideration? The M200 driver is not really menat for treble.

Where do you source JBL 2384 and/or 2435 Be? Are these current production? Not getting much from Google.

Thanks for the input!
So the 2435 beats the Community M200 in the 400 to 2000Hz also, or when the treble is taken into consideration? The M200 driver is not really menat for treble.

Where do you source JBL 2384 and/or 2435 Be? Are these current production? Not getting much from Google.

Yeas the 2435 better in the midrange.

You can buy the 2384 through JBL parts suppliers but they are on backorder.

New 2435 drivers are around 1500.00 US each.

You can get a used pair for around $1000.00. I bought a pair of new 2435 diaphragms and use them in 2431 motor. Same thing.

2452 has a bigger dome 4" vs 3" and is titanium where the 2435 is beryllium

What is the difference in the phase plugs?

I don't know how the phase plug is different. I had read that it was a little newer design. From what I understood about it having the 4" dome, is that you could put a truextent Be diagram in them for about $500 a pop. Of course this would make since if you got the driver at a discount.

Sorry to be a bummer, I find that asymmetrical horns suffer from noticeable pattern flip, basically makes it hard to get the midrange to sound right

it works if they're 60x40 or 90x60, but once the ratio gets more than about two to one, it sounds weird

Patrick, or anyone else who has an opinion on this, do you think smaller side by side woofers would help alleviate the negative subjective effects that go along with pattern flip? Maybe something like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Taking the SEOS 15 as an example, it's a little over 15" wide by about 8" tall. Two 8" woofers side by side would have a horizontal radiating length of just about 15" while having a vertical radiating height over a bit under 8". Seems like it might be a better directivity match than a single 12" or 15" woofer. Then as well, the 8's might be pistonic to a higher frequency.
Dan

Seems like it might be a better directivity match than a single 12" or 15" woofer.
Dan

Wierd, I can't find a way to edit a previous post now. Anyway, this might not make complete sense as I wrote it. The SEOS has narrower directivity in the vertical direction than the horizontal but only down to the point where it can maintain that vertical diretivity, maybe 1500 Hz? I meant that the 8's might be a better match in directivity vertically at the crossover point (~1000 Hz) where the SEOS has lost some vertical directivity. At this frequency occurred, the wider vertical dispersion of two 8's side by side might better match the SEOS.
Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.