Replacing power supply capacitors on Adcom GFA-5500

Well the person I bought it from recommended a soft start module if I want to put in larger filter caps, because then the inrush current also will be larger. Is that wrong?

There is actually a big difference in voltage between most of the 0.68ohm resistors. Yesterday I let I idle (with no load) for about one hour and then measured all of them. The highest voltage was 92mV! The lowest 51mV. R50 and R51 measured both 60mV.
So that would mean the there is also a big difference in current...

And suddenly I saw this! A resistor that does not match the others. Looks like someone replaced the original one time.
Guess this does not cause any problems and the value is the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_150548_400_1.jpg
    IMG_20230204_150548_400_1.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 56
I have just replaced the filter caps with new ones, 22000uf and are reassembling the amp.
I have one question. Why are the caps directly connected to the negative speaker output by the metal bar? I have never seen something like this in an amplifier before

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_081820_941.jpg
    IMG_20231119_081820_941.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 53
For what its worth, and as long as you are actually capable of doing basic DIY work on these amps, if you pick up an Adcom GFA 5500 I would suggest that you first open it up and look around inside carefully, looking for things that just seem out of order or changed. Its very clear when you look in these amps if someone else has been inside one. If all looks good then I would follow the manual procedures and set both the bias and the DC offset before doing anything else other then doing some listening to the amp.

I got one of these in my area only a month ago for $350 in almost perfect condition. I did the above and the amp plays pretty amazingly. Great bass and midrange sound. In general I find the Adcom amps a bit rough in the upper ranges on many tracks but I bought the amp to run for the bass section of my JBL 4343's.

When I cracked open the amp and did what I noted about the DC was pretty much right on. The Bias was low at 36mv/side. I put it to spec at 50mv/side and as I said it plays real nice. So before you start digging into these amps I would start with what I suggest as you might be lucky and you don;t have to do anything but enjoy it to start with.