Replacing a 15" woofer with dual 10" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Newbie DIY speaker builder here, wanting to convert a vintage 3-way speaker's woofer from a 4-Ohm 15" to 2 x 8-Ohm 10". The surface area of the dual 10" units are about the same as the single 15" and from what I have read, by hooking both 10" 8-Ohm drivers to the crossover in parallel will yield a 4-Ohm load.

Assuming I get the cabinet the right size, will this work?

The application is converting a Klipsch LaScala to use as a theater center channel so it can fit under the screen.

Not what you want to hear - but I would not want to be butchering a classic Klipsch speaker in this way.

Besides that, the chance of you getting a balanced result is virtually nil - the crossover is designed for that particular 15" driver. What ever the dual 10" speakers need for a crossover WILL be quite different - so the answer is unless you have the tools and knowledge to design and tune a new crossover then I suggest you leave that lovely Klipsch as it was meant to be! Furthermore a pair of 10" drivers will not be designed or be suitable for driving the bass horn section.

I am curious - the Klipsch is a horn loaded unit - are you proposing to take the bass horn unit away entirely? And make a smaller box for a pair of 10" drivers? If so - then do not think about it any more - you are trying to create an entirely new speaker. The bass section will in no way match the mid and treble sections that are still super efficient, whereas a box bass unit will not be.

Now, the other way of looking at it is that a center speaker does not really need anything as fancy as a full range LaScala to do the job. The center channel is for speech intelligibility and does not need deep powerful bass reproduction. The rest of the system will do that for you. Find a more suitable centre speaker!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If I were changing out a 4 ohm I'd probably be converting it higher, so I assume you're just trying to keep the old crossover, result uncertain. I think suitability for the horn is more of an issue, there's the motor, and then there's the shape. A 15" is closer to 3 x 10" anyway.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. It all makes sense. The problem I have is for theater my screen is too low for the center channel (about 20" from the floor) and I am lucky enough to have THREE LaScalas for my front Left, Center, Right setup. The soundstage is quite awesome with three highly efficient speakers of this size and I want to optimize it. I currently have the center LaScala on its side, but the horns are vertically oriented in this position and I'd like to get better dispersion.

So my crazy thought was to abandon the bass bin (which is a folder horn) and substitute it for something else much smaller/shorter.

My other thought since the 2 x 10" idea sounds un-viable, is to use the current 15" driver but re-design the bass bin to be shorter. Klipsch uses the same driver and similar (I think) crossovers in the more compact model "Cornwall". I could mount the 15" in a ported box to try to get similar output and preserve the use of the original components. Is this any less crazy than my original idea??:eek::eek:

You need very accurate measurements and simulations to get port tuning right. If it's only for vocals you may get away with a smaller sealed box but if you change the driver distances the crossover may not work properly, but If the 15" driver is only for sub bass then you should fine.

The screen can't be moved because of its height. Plus we prefer not to have to look up. Putting the horn horizontally next to the existing base bin IS an option I have considered. It would look kinda weird, but should accomplish what I am looking to do.

Bob Crites gave me plans for his LaScala/Cornwall hybrid. I would buy his custom crossover, use all the LaScala components, and build a custom cabinet according to his specs. He has been testing these designs for some time so I feel secure this would be a good timbre match or at least very close.

Cornscala? | Critesspeakers.com

Newbie DIY speaker builder here, wanting to convert a vintage 3-way speaker's woofer from a 4-Ohm 15" to 2 x 8-Ohm 10". The surface area of the dual 10" units are about the same as the single 15" and from what I have read, by hooking both 10" 8-Ohm drivers to the crossover in parallel will yield a 4-Ohm load.

Assuming I get the cabinet the right size, will this work?

The application is converting a Klipsch LaScala to use as a theater center channel so it can fit under the screen.

NEVER butcher a Klipsch LaScala!!! :-/

SELL IT to someone who has a dedicated cinema room and is looking for a center Lascala; with the money, buy a pair of Klipsch Heresy from the same vintage, put them on their side, tweeter sides touching one another; you just created a giant center speaker!

I've never done this so this is just wondering out loud...

Could you get the Klipsch K510, lay your LaScala on its side (where I perceive the height is ok..) put the 510 essentially in front of the woofer (on the floor type thing or build a small stand)

I will say this.... if you ever tried this as a normal speaker, you'll never go back to the stock upper horns. The 2-way LaScala with the 510 will trounce the stock configuration.

(said as an owner of stock LaScalas since 1979 so I'm not bashing on them.... I also own the 510 so can compare side by side)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.