Replacement Capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes the speaker seems to be working fine. But after 5 hrs the poweramp left channel has issues with low volume. After a restart it went back to normal volume.

My question is

1) Replacing the old caps 4.7 uf with 5.0 uf ones cause such an issue?
2) When the manufacturer of the speaker says the cap is for amp protection. Could this be connected to the low volume issue.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The new cap certainly looks up to the job physically, its a robust construction and designed for pretty demanding applications.

BM Cap

Going from 4.7uF to 5uF will have no material change on anything. Theoretically it will have altered the frequency response minutely in some way... but don't be concerned over that... its minimal and you would need proper test facilities and microphones to compare and see differences.

The blurb that comes with speakers (and other stuff as well) doesn't always talk in true technical terms.

So this is my take on it all although I'm not a speaker guru at all :)

The ribbon tweeter probably has a very low impedance and so the transformer is used for impedance matching. The cap I'm guessing is in series with the primary winding and it serves to filter out bass frequencies and also (as a by product) to prevent any DC offset from an amplifier from causing the transformer core to saturate. Any film cap blocks DC pretty much totally so that is just a by by product rather than a 'feature'. The cap is just needed to filter the low frequencies as in any normal crossover.

The new cap alone would not cause any amplifier problem such as you describe... that is unrelated and something else.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
:) ... a cap...a transformer... could it be a filter at the end... sort of... ykkkkkkk ;)

I still have a sad though for the former capacitors which are living in garbadge land and haven't talked about their pedigree and cashpacitance reserve...

Maybe the amp has also a tirered channel, the pot or anything else inside, caps (oh no TRT again?... I 'm joking!) or a cold soldering ?

The tech seems ok :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
curent and voltage filtering to say... I assume we still need a serie capacitor for protection with active speakers... still a passive filter but out of the frequency range of the protected driver. Without really lies of the brand there is still parts in front of signal... in my simple way to see it (and low understanding), I call it a filter.

Btw I assume the former caps used paper and foil because these high curent ? The op indeed will be more than safe with a X2 capacitor type...the tech is knowing what he did !

Thank you to all for all the wonderful advice. The speakers seem to be working fine with the second amp. Thought I heard a small thump when I switched off the second amp once but could have been something else cause I have not been able to hear any unwanted sounds when turning or turning off the amp with the speakers. So I assume everything is normal.
Need to check the first problem power amp to see if the low volume channel issue persists.

One more thing. In the future in case I get the new costly replacement caps from gallo should I replace it? Or these new caps more than enough.
I do feel there is a slight harshness in treble but that could be my imagination.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like everything is normal as far as the speakers are concerned. I think your new caps should be fine and fwiw it is very easy to be fooled into thinking something is different when in fact it isn't.

A common problem many amplifiers can suffer from is trouble with relays (tarnished contacts) in the output feed. These give various intermittent symptoms often temporarily fixing itself if you turn the volume up really high for a few few seconds.

Any thumps and noises at power on and off are down to the amp, not the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.