replacement 220uf bi-polar options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think we may have figured it out. I reposted this as its own thread. Looks like the Artic Silver 5 is conductive at these high voltages. The heatsink is part of the chassis so it relies on the insulator to keep it isolated. The compound makes sense as I can not find a mechanical short or issue with mounting. I will change compound to white stuff that came originally on amp.:)

I'll post back.

Mike

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Silver paste

:eek: Oh, Noooooooooo! That is metallic powder base. conductive paste for CPUs and such. You need white oxide insulating
paste for general electronics use, like one of the examples...Altronics - Your One Stop Audio Visual & Electronics Supplier :)
Good luck and wipe up all the traces of that stuff first.

Anyways, you won't be the first here to make the assumption that all heatsink compounds are the same.
If it didn't cost so much, I guess it might be just another step up the learning curve.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You're right about the claims but it does contain, I suggest, 5% silver powder.
The balance will be a blend of thermally conductive ceramic and oxide powders
whipped up in silicone oil. Yummm! To make that claim, the silver could have been
pre-coated with a polymer but with a little mechanical force, this would expose the metal anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.