Removing Plastic covers from Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: physics for poets

HarryHaller said:

You know, if you're going to give citations such as this, it might help if you actually read them before using them to support an argument.

First, please note that I specifically said "electronically conductive" as opposed to the more common "electrically conductive."

Also note what I said immediately following that. To refresh your memory:

<i>It "conducts" by way of ionic migration.</i>

The reason I specifically stated that the electrolyte wasn't electronically conductive is because it's ionically conductive.

Now, if you go back to the farad.net reference and actually read through the whole thing, you'll find this:

<i>Metals emit electrons easily and semi-conductors and electrolytes emit them with difficulty. The electrons in the electrolyte are in fact not free but are bound in ions...</i>

When the primary conduction mode of a material is by way of free electrons as it is in metals, we say that its conduction is "electronic." When the conduction is by way of ions, we say that its conduction is "ionic."

And by the way, next time, provide a relevant quote from your references to prove your point. I don't have the time to read through pages and pages of irrelevant crap trying to find the relevant portion you believe proves your point.

"I can't think of any vibration they'd ever be subjected to inside any piece of audio gear where they wouldn't be moving together."

I can including vibration from the signal though the capacitor

Please read what I wrote in its entirety.

I didn't say they would be subjected to NO VIBRATION. If that's what I were saying I'd have only said:

<i>I can't think of any vibration they'd ever be subjected to inside any piece of audio gear.</i>

But I didn't stop there. I went on to say:

<i>...where they wouldn't be moving together.</i>

Allow me to put it another way.

I can't think of any vibration that they'd ever be subjected to inside any piece of audio gear which would be sufficient enough to cause the can and the plastic to move separately from themselves.

"Only in that some of the explanations that have been offered up so far seem to be decribing dielectric absorption."
Hmmmmm..... not to me.

It was the claim about the plastic absorbing charge from the capacitor and later returning the charge to the capacitor. That's effectively what occurs in the case of dielectric absorption. The dielectric absorbs some electrons from the plate of the capacitor and emits them later, which is what causes the residual charge across the capacitor to increase after an initial discharge.

dielectric absorption: Audiophile buzzword alert! For actual explanation of what it actually means:

Why don't you learn a little about basic capacitor theory before launching into another one of your manifestos.

I think that advice is rather better suited to yourself in this case.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
plastic covers

Hello,
Vibration i once did read some tests on coupling capacitors. They were connected at the output of an amplifier and some of them make even a little music just like a electrostatic loudspeaker so something will be moving inside. This testing was done long time before there were special capacitors designed for Audio. Only Elna was just born. This Superblack thing came from the country who i think did start this audio capacitor topic. I say trust them,no one is making money out of this only the shop where you will buy the aerosol. A lot of times people will recommand things that can be acquired at their address. Then you will have the right to be suspicious, but now nobody is gaining money, only more pleasure when listening to music!I think if playing music can cause my walls to resonate why a small capacitor even if it is inside a cabinet will not resonate? I am still waiting for someone to buy a aerosol of graphite and apply it with a brush. Be careful because it is CONDUCTIVE otherwise you will skip the component you did apply a thin layer to. Maybe it will also act like a kind of screening to signals coming from components in the capacitors surroundings. Keep up the good work, Ed

First, please note that I specifically said "electronically conductive" as opposed to

Oh I see........... I guess that explains it. I guess when I got my BSEE they forgot to explain "electronic conductivity" as opposed to "electrical conductivity." Is an organic semiconductor capacitor "electronically conductive" or "electrically conductive"? I would hate to confuse the the two types. What about semiconductors, which one are they?

"I can't think of any vibration that they'd ever be subjected to inside any piece of audio gear which would be sufficient enough to cause the can and the plastic to move separately from themselves."

Hmmmmm...... two pieces of aluminum foil and a soggy (with the electrolyte) paper seperator connected to a thin aluminum can by a soft rubber bushing mounted on a flexible PC board. All these parts have different masses and compliances by the way. Nope there is NO WAY you could have any relative movement there, I guess. The things people believe, its shocking!

H.H

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I am a real electronic nitwit so i can only repeat information i did read or hear or tell about real testing using my ears. The problems with these kind of forums that there will allways be people who will write their own theories and consider them to be absolutelt true without having the necessary knowledge to defend their ideas when talking to a real scientist. I am just repeating and not pretending to know it all, Ed

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SKINNING.

Fellows,

All in all I take my hat off to Steve Eddy for putting up with this.
I can only say I see an awfull lot of replies that are completely beside the point.
Which sadly reminds me of another thread somewhere...
For heaven's sake:an elco wouldn't work if it conducted electrically.It would as such represent a short between plate and ground (anode and cathode).
Why this is brought into the arguement here is a mystery to me.
That the cap can add to the sound by vibrational or electrical feedback seems self explanatory here.It is by nature an electret microphone.
And if it wasn't it wouldn't work the way it does,and if it would be a perfect component it wouldn't filter any supply noise either.
Again this is besides the point and just shows the misconceptions involved here.
Which again shows we're way off base here.
Steve is right in pointing out that there's no reason for any audible improvement by skinning a cap.
Still,apparently under some condtions it seems to do as stated by Jonathan Carr and others.
As with the other thread I alluded to:read and read again through the posts instead of arguing for arguing's sake.

The topic brought up by Ed Goewie regarding treating plastic insulators with carbon/graphite charged paint may have to do with triboelectric effects,esd, dielectric absorption as a combined effect for all I care.
Fact is it has NOTHING to do with skinning caps nor did anyone ever claim you should apply it to elco's anyway.

Best regards of a pretty fed up member,:xeye:

For heaven's sake:an elco wouldn't work if it conducted electrically.

The electrolyte is conductive, insulation (and capacitance) is provided by aluminum oxide on the foil. Maybe if people read some of the reference links, instead of the endless diatribes of a self proclaimed guru, they might learn something.

"Steve is right in pointing out that there's no reason for any audible improvement by skinning a cap.
Still,apparently under some condtions it seems to do as stated by Jonathan Carr and others."

It seems then that one of these positions is wrong then. I wonder which one it could be......

H.H.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Fellows,

The electrolyte is conductive

Conducting what exactly?
Conducting in the way as Eddy tried so hard to explain:allowing ions,electrons to migrate from plate to cathode and vice-versa thereby acting as an electrical impedance, creating?
You guessed it : a capacitance.
Surely if it was able to conduct electrically the wole cap would present a short??:xeye:

Rgds,

fdegrove said:
Fellows,

All in all I take my hat off to Steve Eddy for putting up with this.
I can only say I see an awfull lot of replies that are completely beside the point.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, it does get a bit frustrating. Been trying to cut back on my smoking and this doesn't help. :)

For heaven's sake:an elco wouldn't work if it conducted electrically.It would as such represent a short between plate and ground (anode and cathode).

Actually there is a small amount of electrical conductivity occuring. That's because the electrolyte is slightly conductive. This manifests itself as what's called leakage current which is a common specification for electrolytic capacitors.

For example, the United Chemi-Con KMH series electrolytics have a leakage current of I<sub>L</sub> (in uA) = 0.02CV. Their 63 volt, 27,000 uF cap with 63 volts across it would exhibit a leakage current of about 34 milliamps. Which is tantamount to the electrolyte having a resistance of about 1,850 ohms.

Steve is right in pointing out that there's no reason for any audible improvement by skinning a cap.

Except that's NOT what I'm pointing out. I'm not saying there's NO possible reason. Only that the reasons offered up so far, aren't it. It's simply the process of deductive reasoning. As Sherlock Holmes used to say, "When you've eliminated the impossible, whatever's left, however improbable, must be the truth."

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SKINNING,

Steve,

Seems to me you're trying hard to shoot yourself in the foot?
Sure,electrolyte is slightly conductive.
Still aren't you jumping the gun?
Seems to me some people don't even have the basics right,so I shouldn't fuel that fire if I were you?

Cheers,

Here we go again.....

Electrolytes are conductive. Leakage current is through the oxide layer of the cap. Go read the references if you want to understand capacitor basics. Certain posters don't have a clue and are just confusing people.

Type of capacitor/Type of electrolyte/Conductivity (mS/cm)
Non-solid electrolytic capacitor/Electrolyte solution/3
Solid electrolytic capacitor/Manganese dioxide/30
Oscon/Organic semiconductor(TCNQ complex solt)/300
Polymerized organic semiconductor/3,000

http://www.semicom.co.uk/manufactur...oscon_main.html
http://www.faradnet.com/deeley/book_toc.htm

H.H.

Re: First, please note that I specifically said "electronically conductive" as opposed to

HarryHaller said:
Oh I see........... I guess that explains it. I guess when I got my BSEE they forgot to explain "electronic conductivity" as opposed to "electrical conductivity."

Either that or you weren't paying attention.

Since you're an EE, here's a quote from Electronics Engineers' Handbook, Second Edition, Fink/Christiansen, McGraw Hill ISBN: 0-07-020981-2, chapter 1, page 32, under the heading of <b>Electric Conduction</b>

<i>Electric conduction is the transmission of charge carriers through, or by means of, electric conductors. The conductors may be in the solid, liquid, or gasous state, each of which exhibits <b><u>different mechanisms</u></b> of charge transfer.</i>

In metal conductors, the charge carriers are electrons only. The so-called free electrons. Making conductivity purely electronic.

In semiconductors, there are two charge carriers which work simultaneously, electrons and holes. Electrons move in one direction and holes move in another. So technically conduction in semiconductors is electronic as well, but not exclusively.

In liquids, which include electrolytes, the charge carriers are ions, not electrons or protons. Therefore we say that electrolyte is ionically conductive.

Is an organic semiconductor capacitor "electronically conductive" or "electrically conductive"? I would hate to confuse the the two types. What about semiconductors, which one are they?

See above.

"I can't think of any vibration that they'd ever be subjected to inside any piece of audio gear which would be sufficient enough to cause the can and the plastic to move separately from themselves."

Hmmmmm...... two pieces of aluminum foil and a soggy (with the electrolyte) paper seperator connected to a thin aluminum can by a soft rubber bushing mounted on a flexible PC board. All these parts have different masses and compliances by the way. Nope there is NO WAY you could have any relative movement there, I guess. The things people believe, its shocking!

You know, I'm beginning to think that you're just trolling here. Either that or you're contextually challenged.

The only relative movement at issue in this specific matter regarding the buildup of static charge on the exterior plastic of the capacitor is the relative movement between the plastic cover and the aluminum can.

Now if you'd care to show how any vibration the capacitor will be subjected to under normal use would cause the plastic cover to go sliding around on or otherwise contacting and separating, I'll be more than happy to hear you out.

Until then, please stick to the actual context of what's being discussed.

se

leakage current

"Actually there is a small amount of electrical conductivity occuring. That's because the electrolyte is slightly conductive. This manifests itself as what's called leakage current which is a common specification for electrolytic capacitors.

For example, the United Chemi-Con KMH series electrolytics have a leakage current of IL (in uA) = 0.02CV. Their 63 volt, 27,000 uF cap with 63 volts across it would exhibit a leakage current of about 34 milliamps. Which is tantamount to the electrolyte having a resistance of about 1,850 ohms."

Once again, total nonsense.........

http://www.faradnet.com/deeley/chapt_02.htm#leakagecurrent

H.H.

Re: Here we go again.....

HarryHaller said:
Electrolytes are conductive. Leakage current is through the oxide layer of the cap. Go read the references if you want to understand capacitor basics. Certain posters don't have a clue and are just confusing people.

The problem is that you're so stuck on the "basics" that you can't see the underlying physics involved and the implications vis a vis electronic versus ionic conduction.

se

The Basics

I find it good to have a grasp on the basics before launching into the subtleties of ionic verses electronic conduction. It keeps one honest and allows everyone a better grasp on what is being disscussed. I am a bit puzzled by your quote:

"Which is tantamount to the electrolyte having a resistance of about 1,850 ohms."

Hmmmm... by that reasoning the cap has an E.S.R. of 1850 ohms which is about 100,000 times what I would expect. I am sure you can explain it with the "implications vis a vis electronic versus ionic conduction" though and we all wait breathlessly for another physics lesson from you.

Contextually challenged,

H.H.

Re: The Basics

HarryHaller said:
I find it good to have a grasp on the basics before launching into the subtleties of ionic verses electronic conduction. It keeps one honest and allows everyone a better grasp on what is being disscussed. I am a bit puzzled by your quote:

"Which is tantamount to the electrolyte having a resistance of about 1,850 ohms."

Hmmmm... by that reasoning the cap has an E.S.R. of 1850 ohms which is about 100,000 times what I would expect. I am sure you can explain it with the "implications vis a vis electronic versus ionic conduction" though and we all wait breathlessly for another physics lesson from you.

It wasn't intended to have any deep implications. Simply to say to Frank that just because conduction is ionic doesn't mean that the electrolyte is an insulator.

This is all just mental masturbation anyway. Until a cogent argument emerges to show that the plastic cover and the aluminum can are either separating from each other or moving past each other, all the rest is moot.

So instead of running off on tangents in a thread which has already had too many tangential discussions, how 'bout we put the horse in front of the cart and work from there?

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAPS

Steve,

It wasn't intended to have any deep implications. Simply to say to Frank that just because conduction is ionic doesn't mean that the electrolyte is an insulator.

There was no need to explain that to me anyway.
I just wanted to simplify things a bit so HH would get a grasp of this basic thing.
If I were to turn it around and claim that electrolyte wasn't insulating plate and cathode you'd all have every right to shoot me.
And yes,thanks to ionic conduction you will have a leakage current.
What it has to do whith this topic is beyond me although I do get the idea this section is becoming the pisspole of this forum??

This is all just mental masturbation anyway.

Yeah,and a lot of it to boot!

Cheers,;)

All,
i would be glad if you stop bitching at each other. :mad:

Steve,
i am still lost about what your point is in this thread. If your point is not confusing others. Are you out to save the world? Means make the world look at things the way you do? :(

Harry,
i refuse to crawl thru your links if you do not specify which statement you mean.
Experience with you tells me you have done your homework well and you are usually right with your points. To me it makes sense what you say but this is no excuse to attack others. :irked:

Back to topic:
methinks Jonathan Carr has pointed out how to audition equipment changes. What ever change. I am impressed, he is more paranoid about self-fooling than me :) no offense meant, Jonathan, but i am satified if i say: i like this better, for whatever reason, i do not need backup from others
if it is a clear "do" or "don't", then i decide the change stays or not. My designer's handwriting, my mind's decision, my mind's sonic footprint.
BTW, my favouring of those fancy MKV caps is such a "do", i crosschecked it with 4 independent listneing sessions and i compared my notes.

If i need a 2nd opinion, the change is a "don't know", a "50/50" or at the border of consious distinctability and not worth wasting time with it. But for working in a team where fellow designers have to nod to a change, your procedure is jst the right one and i second it.

Eduard and PhopsonNY,
thank you for bringing the topic up :)

All others,
i (and the other members lurking just now, i am sure) would be very interested in experimental results: i suggest you listen to skinned/non-skinned caps and to graphite lacquered/non-lacquered caps and report if you could spot sonic changes, if those changes are marginal,
how those changes can be described in usual HIFI terms (sonic details)
if pace rhythm and timing in affected, if those changes influence your long-term focus on the music played, if you have any negative or positive body sensations (and for those of you spiritually engaged) let's not forget spiritual sensations as well.
(sonic entirety).

Just my taste, for me the sonic entirety results usally outweigh the sonic detail results.

Methinks it is a very good idea to abandon speculative reasoning why it works or cannot work. Shut up and LISTEN!!

I am curious if the cap skinning or graphite lacquering is to be expected as a benefit for foil capacitors too or if it only applies to electrolytics. No reasoning please, experimental results.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAPS SKINNING

Fellows,

I am curious if the cap skinning or graphite lacquering is to be expected as a benefit for foil capacitors too or if it only applies to electrolytics. No reasoning please, experimental results.

Do not put any graphite on your elco's.That would be a waste of time.IMO.
It's on the film and foil types that you may here a subtle difference.
Pls.read my previous posts on the subject.
It's a minor but worthwhile difference bringing more inner detail without throwing it into your lap "transistor" style.
Say the background would acquire more of a "blackness" and imaging would feel more correct according to recording venue.

Give it a go,;)

Re: Re: First, please note that I specifically said "electronically conductive" as opposed

Steve Eddy said:

Now if you'd care to show how any vibration the capacitor will be subjected to under normal use would cause the plastic cover to go sliding around on or otherwise contacting and separating, I'll be more than happy to hear you out.

The only way I can see the plastic cover moving against the body of the cap is when the metal clamp is used and when everything gets hot (like inside class A amp). Because of the heat some materials expand changing it's shape and size and this could possibly cause the movement. But still it's only speculation. Personally, I rather tend to believe that it's the (wrong kind of) damping that plastic provides has more effect on the sound than electrcal charge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.