Removing Plastic covers from Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dice45

Of course i was aware of the potential effect of the braces. That's why i first auditioned the naked caps not being braced, just resting on a piece of cork and consequently applied the ptfe tape and braced them. If there was a change in sound due to the bracing and ptfe it was orders of magnitude below the 'skinning' effect

peter

peranders said:
OK, this was a thread!

Still, way back I tried to get the facts, didn't get any or lost them somewhere.

I went a selling course (years ago) and there where three letters, E F I, brainwashed into my head:
E (egenskaper), properties: What are you doing, how and the result? Which components are effected and what have you done with them?
F (fördelar), benefits: What do you acheive compared to do nothing?
I (innebörd), what does it mean for YOU?

I haven't succeed to sort the facts out in this gigantic thread. I can can understand if all of you are tired and don't want to discuss this matter anymore.

It seems impossible to really talk about the main issue here. I would really like to know if this is something or if it's pure tjurbajs.

Sorry for an off-topic break again, but this misunderstanding has
been around in a number of threads and is spreading.

Per-Anders,

I don't mind your attempts to teach the rest of the world swedish,
go for it :) , but please teach them right, especially since I have
seen some people actually picking up a word or two of what
you are lessoning them. In particular I have seen people
starting to write "tjurbajs" after your previous lessons.

Yes, "tjurbajs" means "********" in its original context, ie.
referring to what comes out of the rear end of a bull.
No, "tjurbajs" cannot be used as "********" in the context
of talking ******** (at least I have never come across that,
not even with Gothenburgers). The usual word in this context
is "dynga". That is, "to talk ********" is "prata dynga" in swedish.
Of course, the younger generations, fed up on too much
american films and TV series, tend just to say "********". :)
BTW "dynga" has a similar meaning, but is a broader concept
than ********.

No offense intended, and go on spreading our wonderful language to the rest of the world. Just too bad you can't
use Gothenburg accent in writing :) (assuming you come from
Gothenburg originally).

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAP SKINNING

People,

This afternoon was a quiet one so I thought,heck,why not give these caps in my amps their Adam suit back and off I went.
I put all of those big caps' clothes off.
As to not upset any stargrounding scheme I isolated their can from ground with just a strip of plumbing PTFE tape.
I put them back in their clamps being careful as to not overtighten the screws,knowing they distort the signal even more when under mechanical stress.

Now these are quite big mothers at 15.000 mF/250VDC each suppliyng B+ and B- on my OTL amps.
From their output it goes all straight into the output tubes so I reckoned if I heard any difference here I will most likely hear it down the line elsewhere too.

Guess what?
I did hear a quite noticeable lift in clarity,no, nothing major but it was there nonetheless,all sounded a bit less mechanical and more relaxed.
Perceived dynamics were increased too but that's to be expected.
Didn't cost a dime,so give it try,wil you?
Next I'll be adding some lead strips to their clamps and see if that changes anything.
I'll let you know soon enough.

Cheers,;)

Frank:

I like people who act as well as talk ;-).

I heartily endorse your addition of PTFE tape, as I have found that the metal can surface may carry significant voltages. BTW, the cap may have a completely floating can at first, but over time, develop a significant voltage on the metal surface (especially if the caps are oriented horizontally). A bit of insulation between caps that may touch otherwise, or between the cap and a PCB trace (especially if it is sans solder mask) is good insurance against future problems.

Now that you have got the peeled caps working, you may next try removing every scrap of heatshrink tubing that you may have used in your amp.

Again, it is quite easy to do, so you may as well try it and listen for yourself, instead of arguing ad nauseum.

regards, jonathan carr

Re: CAP SKINNING

fdegrove said:
Guess what?
I did hear a quite noticeable lift in clarity,no, nothing major but it was there nonetheless,all sounded a bit less mechanical and more relaxed.
Perceived dynamics were increased too but that's to be expected.
Didn't cost a dime,so give it try,wil you?
Next I'll be adding some lead strips to their clamps and see if that changes anything.
I'll let you know soon enough.

I don't doubt for a second that you didn't experience this things you describe....but.... if someone in the protection of the darkness had sneaked into your room and made this tweak without your knowledge....? Have you had the some listening experience, not knowing?

OK, I'm in the blind test thing again but since we _here_ are allowed to talk about... I wonder.

Try Before You Deny

Have you had the some listening experience, not knowing?
Most people do this all the time actually, and then report if they like that item or not.
Knowing what caused the audible change that turns out to be a long term sonic benefit (or otherwise) is always valuable, as is an open mind, sprinkled with a decent understanding of physics, chemistry, electrics as well as electronics.

Eric.

I have gotten altered sounds in the past by removing plastic cover and also by placing different materials to the can - no cynical responses from me on this subject.

Listen Up

Frank, my response is meant in the positive sense.
I have not done the skinning experiment for 10 years or so, but I do remember that it gave a free-er sound - a tensile substance gives a tense-ish sound or something IME/IMO.
Since then I have done much interesting experimenting with materials causing contact and non contact field effects that are clearly audible.
By this method I am able to flavour the sound to how I (and others) like it, so perhaps the caps skin is less influencing, or reduced.
I should try it tomorrow - I have a good experimental case to try on my bench waiting for me in the morning.

Eric.

Trendsetter....

Yes, 10 years ago I did a heap of interesting experimenting and came to understand all sorts of interesting things regarding audio and other stuff.
At the time I tried it in a P-P wired DA convertor stage, and a 2 ch experimental DJ mixer that was fitted into a cardboard box, built for a particular event (it featured AP selection and AD 711's).
My conclusion at the time was that the sound was livlier and free-er, but both examples in retrospect suffered some PSU resonances (supplies were decoupled down to tubular ceramics but this can induce/allow highish Q resonances if not deliberately damped) so this masked the result (which was v good nonetheless), and also I never got around to trying this experiment in earnst since.
Tomorrow is another experiment......

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.