Regulated DC PSU - Plain and simple please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi GD,
When you dangled the B-E junction over the 100mfd cap in the multiplier did you re - read the voltage at the amps themselves. It should have dropped to around 7 or 8 volts. This would "prove" it was working OK as a zener. It would prove a lot as to whether it really is a PSU ripple issue ! You ask about overvoltage. That in itself will not affect the hum. I am a little suprised it made no change at all, I think we could do with making sure the multiplier is working correctly. If you disconnect the 4.7 K resistor the voltage to the amps should drop to zero. Could you try that as well. Something does not sound quite right here.
The quality thing is interesting. Quite a few years ago now I had a Pioneer A80. If specs meant anything at all this was the ultimate. Sadly, although I tried to convince myself there must be other shortcomings in the rest of the system it wasn't so. The amp was unmusical, cold sounding. That's how I ended up with my present design, it's not perfect technically, but it sounds fantastic, now 95% of my music collection sound fabulous, the music shines through whatever the shortcomings of the recording.

Whoa-hey!! What did I tell you??

All the amplifiers needed were a simple regulator.

The sound, using the mains transformer, is now breathtakingly brilliant. Dead quiet background - ZERO hum or buzz.

I am using a 1A, 7812CT regulator with a 400mfd cap on output. Works like a charm!

D

Attachments

• 2008_06_25 010s.jpg
    2008_06_25 010s.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 89
keantoken said:
Hmm. I appear to have missed something!

Is the end result different enough to post a schematic? I must have a schematic of everything that sounds good...

- keantoken

Hi Kean

I'll draw up a detailled schematic of the stereo amp including the regulator circuit and mail it to you.

Drop me a mail at: dewald (AT) greenlizard (dot) co.za

I would also then be honoured if you can build the amp and tell me what you think of the sound.

Dewald

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.