Reference full range or coaxial driver suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, no one wants to pay more than they have to for anything. With that being said, If convinced there was no other way, I'd say something like 500 per driver. If we are talking about the mid/tweeter I seek. If its an actually thing like speaker and enclosure, I'd spend a little more, not really into passive crossovers though.
I have about 5 threads so sorry if I get confused on what we are talking about.
I am trying to keep the subs down to 300 per unit or less....I already have an amp for the subs, I aim for the subs to be useful around 200rms, but want to be able to over power for room correction. So the mains I have now, have a max spl rating of 110, they are actually quiter than I'd like, I'd consider them to be a bare minimum as well, can play max level without distortion, though, thats only true because I turned a 4inch woofer into a 4inch extended midrange, a "naked" midrange I think its called.

Size? I could go pretty big since it would get rid of the need of a speaker stand. If so big a speaker stand wasn't needed, I'd design it to create a sweet spot at my head level sitting in a chair, ~ 43 inches off the ground. regardless the mid/tweeter of whatever I use has to end up at head level wether the box stands it there or I have to create some type of pedestal.
Right now my woofers are in 3.5cuft boxes which I am trying to reuse unless given a reason to do work. The mids n tweets sit on top of that, they are small...I dunno.... .75 cuft?

As mentioned, having multiples will share the load between drivers helps with keeping travel and distortion down.

On the extreme, you could use bass arrays, nine 8" drivers per side would beat your single 15" Ultimax. Add in a little EQ and you'll be reaching 20Hz easily, and quite loud.

GRS at Parts Express has a cheap line of woofer's that would be perfect for just that.
Perceval I am investigating!

Last edited:
Edit:
Did you see the new 12" coaxial from Faital? Looks insanely nice!

Yeah, it was pointed out to me back when it came out, auditioning them baffle-less OB with mass quantities of digital manipulation. Unfortunately, with my strong Tinnitus, the electronics combined with the promoter's idea as to how it should be EQ'd [much to bright], kept me from forming much of an opinion before I had to make like Elvis and leave the building 'post haste'. :( [where's an 'ears plugged' emoticon when you need one?]

Sure looks good on paper though.

GM

So, Arrays are a thing, speakers grouped together perform as one diaphragm, theoretically, yes? These are the ideas that came to mind, the chosen 15" along with the chosen 4" coaxial. I think the 3rd is the most practical and the first example is extreme and I have no idea what it would sound like but it sure would look cool. This is also a solution for power, and distortion that might of other wise been a factor. I could go even farther and do a sub array below. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Isthiscrazy.jpg
    Isthiscrazy.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
so array speakers are a no no for near field.....
Room correction is needed in my room, I have a null around 50 and 100. I could probably set them up better. It seems that the 4" coaxial I desire is not a real product. I guess I'll just focus on my subs =( its not that I needed this to work but. I love using best practices.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
so array speakers are a no no for near field...

Arrays are problematic, in that in a normal domestic room, at some frequencies you are near-field, and at some far-field. And you really need EQ for a line array, and DSP provides the easiest, and most powerful EQ.

For near-field it is hard to beat a good single driver speaker.

{img]https://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxpix/uMar-Ken52.jpg[/img]

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You certainly have a vastly greater experience with line arrays.

I only follow from Griffin:

attachment.php

Where it suggests that at 2m from a 2m tall line the transition is just above 1k.

For anyone considering a line arrary, Jim’s paper covers off a lot:

https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

But a much earlier (1964) paper by Paul Taylor also has relevance (and some very telling diagrams):
http://p10hifi.net/TLS/downloads/taylor-line-array.pdf

And a recent theoretical analysi: Infinite Line Source: analysis

And the question of near/far transition has a thread of that title: Line array size vs near field/far field transition distance

dave

Attachments

• Griffin-near-far-nomograph-.png
    Griffin-near-far-nomograph-.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 755
You certainly have a vastly greater experience with line arrays.

I only follow from Griffin:

attachment.php

Where it suggests that at 2m from a 2m tall line the transition is just above 1k.

For anyone considering a line arrary, Jim’s paper covers off a lot:

https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

But a much earlier (1964) paper by Paul Taylor also has relevance (and some very telling diagrams):
http://p10hifi.net/TLS/downloads/taylor-line-array.pdf

And a recent theoretical analysi: Infinite Line Source: analysis

And the question of near/far transition has a thread of that title: Line array size vs near field/far field transition distance

dave

The reason for me to mention a floor to ceiling line array and not a finite array :).

I thot that with a bessel array one had to be in the far-field for them to work?

dave

It depends on where you want to 'draw the line' on what constitutes an array's 'near-field' distance: The Bessel Array

In retrospect though, not really interested in rehashing/defending this, so I'll qualify it as something one ought to try, especially if for a TV soundbar system or as part of a multi-way speaker where depth doesn't allow horns.

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.