• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I have issue with serial communication on my dam1021rev5 since few days. I double check my dongle, wires etc. with second set. Problem is still same.
I bypass flash to enter directly to umanager and communication start to works properly. After update firmware issue still manifest exactly same way, so fpga seems to be trashing communication. Any hint how to solve this issue?

Code:
dam1021 uManager Rev 1.21 20190308  FPGA Rev 1.21  Press ? for help.

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

#

# ▒▒▒~▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

#

#

#

# ▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

#

# ▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

#

# ▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

#

# ▒▒▒~▒▒
Invalid Command

#

# ▒▒▒|▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

Code:
dam1021 uManager Rev 1.21 20190308  FPGA Rev F.FF  Press ? for help.

# ?
uManager Commands

?/Help               show this help
set par = value      set paramter to value, set alone to show current
  conspeed = 9600 | 19200 | 38400 | 57600 | 115200
  volume = fixed -80 - +10, -99 enable volume potmeter
  filter = linear | mixed | minimum | soft
  mode = normal | invert | bal-left | bal-right
download             download uManager, fpga or filters
update               update uManager firmware
filters [all]        show selected or all filters
df [adr]             dump flash content
exit                 exit uManager

# download

Start sending file using XMODEM/CRC protocol.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

# update
uManager Firmware Update, are you sure ?   Updated, resetting.

R1.21
I3
L000
F4
PN
V-20
I3
I0
L044

dam1021 uManager Rev 1.21 20190308  FPGA Rev 1.21  Press ? for help.

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒~▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒~▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Invalid Command

# filters

04 Linear Phase FIR1, 44.1 Ksps, 21.3 Khz - 1 db, 21.9 Khz -130 db
08 Linear Phase FIR2, 384 Ksps,

Soeren, could you please make full firmware 1.24 available for download? I rolled back 1021 rev7 to earlier version in an attempt to troubleshoot an issue (temporary loss of SPDIF2 IN lock after rotating volume pot sometimes) and it looks like versions prior to 1.24 do not work with rev7, there is no lock and -2V on outputs.
@PavZ

Have you solved the problem with "temporary loss of SPDIF2 IN lock after rotating volume pot sometimes" ?

@PavZ

Have you solved the problem with "temporary loss of SPDIF2 IN lock after rotating volume pot sometimes" ?
Unfortunately not. It seems to happen only when turning volume down. I tried adding inductance on the pot leads, checked UART - uC is not shut down during the sync loss, it handles pot position and sends V* commands. My pot is a good quality cermet Bourns. I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

I am posting this in two threads.

I use a Raspberry to hifiberry digi+ pro to DAM1021, with Moode as player. I also have the ArDAM from DimDim to control volume, source and filters using a separate IR.

The IR remote is ok for controlling source and filters, but I would really like to use the volume control of the Moode to change the HW volume on the DAM1021. The best thing would be what mbrennwa describes in post 7 of the 2nd thread.

And it would be cool if the daemon would also sync the volume control with the Volumio UI:
  • Turn the volume knob --> change the volume at the DAC and update volume setting in Volumio UI
  • Change the volume in the Volumio UI --> change the volume at the DAC

I found some information on it, but nothing “complete”

http://raw-sewage.net/articles/dam1021-raspberry-pi/

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/raspberri-pi-volumio-control.330151/

Does anyone have more experience with this? I like moode, but could use other player on the Raspberry if that would make the whole thing easier.

Best regards, Erik

It would be great if you found the time to do this long-promised update soon. It would make my not that small investment in 17 of your DAM1021 worthwile. Thank you.
Ok, now the dam1021 rev 1.23 firmware is up on the download page. rev 1.23 firmware is for pre rev7 boards, not the new rev7 boards, rev 1.23 firmware have the finer control over the oscilator....

Unifying the firmware for rev7 and pre rev7 boards will have to wait a little, or more....

So I completed the update and made a few listening tests (will do an actual comparison with recordings later).

It's curious how different the converter now sounds with the same filter. Closer and clearer sounding, with much better defined dynamics. The sheer power in great recordings come through now like never before. Certain elements stick more recognizeably out of mixes across the frequency range. Interestingly, sound appears also brighter overall, so much so that I don't like how many recordings sound now on my rather revealing studio monitors. The older masters from the 80s done with a SAR converter now sound pretty much like vinyl without the artifacts.

I am a little baffled, wasn't expecting this much of a change. But I think I take it. :)

Last edited:
So I completed the update and made a few listening tests (will do an actual comparison with recordings later).

It's curious how different the converter now sounds with the same filter. Closer and clearer sounding, with much better defined dynamics. The sheer power in great recordings come through now like never before. Certain elements stick more recognizeably out of mixes across the frequency range. Interestingly, sound appears also brighter overall, so much so that I don't like how many recordings sound now on my rather revealing studio monitors. The older masters from the 80s done with a SAR converter now sound pretty much like vinyl without the artifacts.

I am a little baffled, wasn't expecting this much of a change. But I think I take it. :)
Thanks for reporting, I'm looking forward to Soren porting the code to the DAM1121.

So, I made recordings with two pairs of DAM1021 testing rev. 1.21 vs 1.23.

Analyzing files with DeltaWave the revised clock tended to have a slight edge in the amplitude and phase linearity tests. However, I could not detect a meaningfull reproducible difference with regard to clock drift in the recordings via DeltaWave. Neither drift amplitude nor speed were noticeably different overall between both versions. Neither did the new software prevent seemingly erratic changes in clock speed as the DAM1021 is prone to (unlike every other DA converter I have made roundtrip recordings with).

Listening to the recordings, I think the older rev sounds a little less stable-detailed-real, a tick hazier and lacking perception of space compared to the new one.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did you try to do a recording where you place the DAM in uManager mode i.e.

• warm it up (20 min)
  • enter using terminal and give: +++
  • promt is received

Leave it at the promt (ie. don't do "exit") and do your recording test as per above again and check the results. Sören has stated that in +++ mode, clock handling is totally stopped - no adjustments at all.

//