• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

How is it that the soekris DACs managed to get away with taking the output straight from R2R network while the old R2R chips required active I/V to get good measured performance?
Some knowledge or tech they didnt have back then or does this approach have another compromise?

Well, according to the tutorial zfe linked, an R2R implementation has a very stable output impedance and the chosen implementation in the DAMs is a pure voltage source. No need for I/V. The ‘old R2R chips’ that needed I/V must have been current sources. Just speculating :D

19th April 2020, 06:24 :
yes, thanks. but i really would like to get a version from 3rd rev. onwards.

Why are you asking as you seem to be decided, already?

please could someone tell me (newbie), if i would be satisfied with a (used) rev.2 board for building my first dac...
Guess it fully depends on you.

BTW:
Soekris dam1021 Sign Magnitude R-2R DAC | Dimdim's Blog:
Update (Nov 2015): Soekris has released a Rev 2 of the board, with improved Vref power supplies and a better muting circuit. It is available in just two resistor grades, a 0.01%/0.02% mix and 0.05%.

Update (Feb 2016): Soekris has released a Rev 3 of the board, with further improved Vref power supplies (more capacitance). It is available only with 0.02% resistors.​

Joined 2017
Paid Member
yet another Q

Sorry, this has been asked a thousand times already, I'm sure...

before I ask the obvious one question—is there sort of a FAQ / assembly-guide for newbies?

because, as a newbie, I'd like to see (or read, if pictures aren't available) wether I'd be able to assemble one, what parts are required, if it could be integrated in a pre, etc...

I'm kinda scared of those multi-thousand-posts-threads, sorry!

david

Sorry, this has been asked a thousand times already, I'm sure...

before I ask the obvious one question—is there sort of a FAQ / assembly-guide for newbies?

because, as a newbie, I'd like to see (or read, if pictures aren't available) wether I'd be able to assemble one, what parts are required, if it could be integrated in a pre, etc...

I'm kinda scared of those multi-thousand-posts-threads, sorry!

david

First post....
The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details | H i F i D U I N O

This is absolute full moded 2x dam1121. Plays very nice.

Attachments

• received_1563284543850809.jpeg
    received_1563284543850809.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 20200517_113857.jpg
    20200517_113857.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 287