• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

One of the very first things i tried with the DAM was feed it from Ian's FIFO on the assumption that an accurate clock signal will require less work from the pll. It certainly sounded different but i could not characterise it as being better. Needless to way i was surprised.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that my i2s signal is in any case low jitter, as it is sourced from a JLSounds XMOS with Crystek oscillators.

Last edited:
One of the very first things i tried with the DAM was feed it from Ian's FIFO on the assumption that an accurate clock signal will require less work from the pll. It certainly sounded different but i could not characterise it as being better. Needless to way i was surprised.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that my i2s signal is in any case low jitter, as it is sourced from a JLSounds XMOS with Crystek oscillators.

Doesn't JLS include some kind of reclocking on their boards anyway?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
And not only re-clocked - but buffered. I have at least 1 second delay. The clocked I used has a very low close-in noise so it is really stable - this should mean less need for adjustment in the DAM digital PLL and this less DAM clock adjustments.

The clock boards are built into a sealed sphere which in turn is put into a selad sphere which in turn is suspended like a turntable in half-a-sphere. All in :rolleyes:

//

Attachments

• WP_20170412_23_14_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170412_23_14_58_Pro.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 220
  • WP_20170421_09_59_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170421_09_59_41_Pro.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 223
And not only re-clocked - but buffered. I have at least 1 second delay. The clocked I used has a very low close-in noise so it is really stable - this should mean less need for adjustment in the DAM digital PLL and this less DAM clock adjustments.

The clock boards are built into a sealed sphere which in turn is put into a selad sphere which in turn is suspended like a turntable in half-a-sphere. All in :rolleyes:

//

:eek::hypno1::king:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My future plan is, and I have all the gear for it, to build the Andrea clock, hook it up to 100m of professional opto link and burry it 75m away 1m down into the ground in my garden. Then I will just make an opto->electrical conversion without any oscillator and interface it to a clock-board that drives a DA. I would like this to be a DAM DAC but it might have to be something else I'm afraid.

Sören, make yet another mode which makes the DAC conversion rely totally on the clock without any adjustment - please?

You see, I don't fancy acoustical feedback via the clock.

//

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I know. Thats why I think the clock solution needs to be more flexible. I believe in the core signal processing and the ladder. If it doesn't happen I will have to switch platform. But I hope not... Note that the post above is purely about the clock and (hopefully) replacing the onboard one - i.e. different from my s/pdif jitter cleaner bowl. I think I can live with a little more random jitter if any music correlated is gone.

//

Last edited: