• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When I hear "soft" I try to think about our Royal Concert Hall and what I hear there. Never hard. But resolved with inner core. Expansion is an other term that come to mind. So when i start to hear "soft" in my system I'm positive and exchange it for an even more straight FR in my listening position. My take is that the downwards tilted "house curve" is just compensation of to harsh upper register. Once you can go full in without a compensation for this, "soft" will be your friend - as long as details etc have not been lost in the process.

//

ynmichael...can you please reveal what settings (firmware, filter)did you use for real piano sound.
What is your digital source?
analog_sa... no need to talk about other product, it was implemented in specific design an optimized for it...i think for 99% owners of this dac info will be useless, because i am sure sound will not be so pleasant to listen.

ynmichael...can you please reveal what settings (firmware, filter)did you use for real piano sound.
What is your digital source?
analog_sa... no need to talk about other product, it was implemented in specific design an optimized for it...i think for 99% owners of this dac info will be useless, because i am sure sound will not be so pleasant to listen.

1.19 EQHQv5 apo external 5v powered amanero

If you're using windows try the Resampler-V plugin for foobar.

Let the foobar plugin do the upsampling and bypass the DAM.
The Resampler-V plugin has a very nice interface that let you adjust about everything.

I managed to solder the Vref- caps without destroying something. Results were no big improvement after the Vref+ to my surprise.
Still the music had that electronic hash accompanying most of the musical events above the lower midrange.
And yesterday I tried the above suggested by Danny, and to my big surprise this sounds much better.
I use Linux ever since, because it always sounded way better than Windows so far, especially wih RT-Kernel and some minor tweaks.
But not this time...almost all of the "dirty" addition is gone with Foobar, this plugin and resampling to 96khz.
I have no idea how Foobar manages to go around the on board filters, but it works.
Still the dac is not on the warm side, but at least I can enjoy music now.
TNT calls it softness, and I agree that this is a criterium I try to go after, because tenderness and the beauty of a tone is essential to music. And when a component can reproduce that, I start to relax and the meaning is transported, a communication between me as the listener and the musician/composer takes place.
My SD card player is really good at that, I listened the other day to music from Giacinto Scelsi, a crazy Italian composer whose music is very much sound/tone oriented. With a lesser equipment you don't want to listen to that and switch on the TV instead.
With that player it is just fascinating and I want more.
The Soekris is still not there, but much much closer now.
So, maybe one of you Gentlemen out there is willing to try that Foobar thing to confirm what I hear. Especially when no hardware change ws satisfying.
So as Androa pointed out it is probably not just hardware related, although it also makes a big difference.

@TNT: Could you give some hints for installing a Toslink connection, which parts do you use? Want to try that, because I don't trust that USB thing.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks TNT, that's the receiver part, but how do I send when my computer has no Toslink output?

And I tried to find a plugin to upsample to 384khz, but no success so far. But obviously this Resampler-V plugin takes care of that and bypasses the onboard filters, and I can play with Pass-and stop band and attenuation, very nice. Although I can barely hear a difference, as I do with the stock filters. I could never distinguish them in a test, the Vref or this plugin for sure.

If you upsample to 384, all by-passable filters in the DAM are ... bypassed ;)

To add an Toslink interface you need:
- a receiver
- a 3,3 v DC source
- a C + L as suggested by the receiver data-sheet.

I have used: 1x Original Toshiba TORX147L RX147L TORX147 15Mbps Fiber Optical Receiver | eBay

https://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/torx147.pdf

Check DAM manual for "SPDIF Input Connections".

Good luck!

//

With a 15Mbps Receiver you only can receive up to 96kHz rate without problems. For 192kHz yo need a 25Mbps receiver. Compare with
this post.

almost all of the "dirty" addition is gone with Foobar, this plugin and resampling to 96khz.

Hi Jogi,
Nice that you get a good result with the Resampler-V plugin,
there are plenty of upsampling options you can try with this plugin and change them in realtime.

In the Resampler-V settings you need to add some entries in the "Resampling frequencies tables":
one from 44.1 to 176.4 or 352.8
another from 48 to 192 or 384
Always select multiples of your source frequency.

Regards,
Danny

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I play 192/24 with 5m cable with the above receivers.

Built a 1-> 3 (4) duplicator to use with my toslink-in mono blocks + Hypex DLCP.

Pure passive/optical splitters (1->2) could not do 5m - only 1 meter.

//

Attachments

• T_dupl.jpg
    T_dupl.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Strange, I have no problems.

Here's the doc from the author for creating them:
* resampling table - to config an individual parameters for each samplerate.
** A brief description of the functionality as follows:
1. After selecting Source and Target samplerates, the resampler suggests the optimal configuration. In most cases this is the best choise.
2. The graphs always shows the current selection. [when both samplerates combos have a value or table row selected].
3. During the playback the table is locked, and the controls is enabled only if there is a relevant samperate in the table [i.e. current conversion is defined].
4. The Link checkbox is for proportional aliasing (about -6dB in the Nyquist).
5. Also added Bypass, for quick and easy comparison.

Double click to remove an entry.

If this does not work can you try with starting foobar in administrator mode ?
Maybe it's a windows security problem.

I play 192/24 with 5m cable with the above receivers.

//

As is stated in the linked post, the higher sample rate is received fine for most of the samples.

To my experience it works fine for 99,99..% of the samples. But if I do fft of long length, using the 15Mbps receiver, every minute or so one of the fft-s is corrupted (due a glitch in the date - the fft is very sensitive to that).

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK! Hard to see what could happen on a per 60 second basis over a Toslink link. Are you sure it's not a PLL fault at the receiving end? I doubt it is the link.

It's nothing I have experienced as a problem in practice anyway.

My Toslink source is a Squeezbox Touch.

//

Last edited:
Have you had a look at the linked post ?
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equ...er-ak5397-ak5394a-ak4490-227.html#post5446063

I am quite sure it is the the receiver. With my fireface 800 (192kHz specified receivers/transmitters) no problems occur.
Aslo, if I use (copper) Toslink instead of the optical connection on the affected devices no problems occur.
I have some 25Mbps receivers now but have not yet found the time to replaces the 15Mbps receivers.