• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

The dam1021 using the raw output should not be harsh, you should look at what's after it....

I'm not familiar with any tube buffer, but a lot of people like them....

Plan is to get that up and running tomorrow... trying to work out how to make it so that I can switch between the two (RAW output and RAW -> Tube Output) as I am very much a noob.

Any ideas, even of recommended rotary switches would be good.

Would it degrade the sound if I fed the output to the tube buffer input in parallel and had both inputs into my amplifier and chose using my amplifier's input switch?

Many thanks.

Hi Soeren,

Sound like I shall wait for the successor for dam1021, would it be in production within 2017?

Besides, like the dac1101, when would the special price end? I am seeking my dad to accept it as a better option than the delta sigma dac he has on hand...

Would there be any discount for the dac1541? Cheers

There is no specific time frame for a dam1021 successor, depends on how things develop with the new dac1321/dac1421/dac1541, I might get busy ramping production....

The dac1101 special price will continue until current stock is depleted, probably some months.

There will be no discount for the dac1541, I was actually too optimistic on the cost for the aluminum case, the manufacturer says the front panel take half an hour of CNC machine time....

So you could call current dac1541 price for introductory price, it will probably go up a little later on....

Plan is to get that up and running tomorrow... trying to work out how to make it so that I can switch between the two (RAW output and RAW -> Tube Output) as I am very much a noob.

Would it degrade the sound if I fed the output to the tube buffer input in parallel and had both inputs into my amplifier and chose using my amplifier's input switch?

Many thanks.

Something in your audio-setup is not ok. The dac is not harsh @ all but has beautifull highs without any stress whatsoever.
So instead of putting in extra tube buffers i would concentrate on investigating whas causes the harsh top-end instead of supressing it with more electronics.

Something in your audio-setup is not ok. The dac is not harsh @ all but has beautifull highs without any stress whatsoever.
So instead of putting extra tube buffers i would concentrate on investigating whas causes the harsh top-end instead of supressing it with more electronics.

As a noob Soekris, that is a bit vague for me I'm afraid.

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot would be very helpful indeed - thank you :)

I'm very happy with the amp I'm using, so, I'm hesitant to apportion blame there...?

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot would be very helpful indeed - thank you :)

It can be a lot, i'll try to sum some up:
  • Are there any parts in the dac/supply that get really hot?
  • Did you isolate the dac from the encosure? (the corner holes are all connected to ground).
  • As i metioned earlier, try 9V. It's more than enoug, the dac regulates it down to 5V in the first stage.
  • What input do you use? Toslink, Coax, usb?
  • How is your internal wiring? Did you isolate the enclosure from all connections? (a foto would help).

Let's start here.

• Did you isolate the dac from the encosure? (the corner holes are all connected to ground).
  • As i metioned earlier, try 9V. It's more than enoug, the dac regulates it down to 5V in the first stage.
  • How is your internal wiring? Did you isolate the enclosure from all connections? (a foto would help).

Let's start here.

Thank you paulebappie!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-646.html#post5098280

Many thanks.

Probably not, assuming the wiring are kept short.

Let's start here.

[*]Are there any parts in the dac/supply that get really hot? - the power supply gets hot, but, not too hot to touch, so not *really* hot - I will dial down to 9v though and run two instead of one.

[*]What input do you use? Toslink, Coax, usb?: Coax S/PDIF from my CD Player

[*]Did you isolate the dac from the encosure? (the corner holes are all connected to ground).: Should I ground these (0v?)

[*]How is your internal wiring? Did you isolate the enclosure from all connections? (a foto would help).: looking to put it in an enclosure. Photo here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-646.html#post5098280

Thanks again :)

15v 0 15v 0

9v 0 (using that for the S/PDIF to I2S)Try S/PDIF with transformer input, maybe the s/pdif to i2s is the culprit

I do have other transformers though...?

I get it - use a lower voltage transformer too? Bingo :) ,
see if the supply get's hot, if so try 12V or even lower depending on voltage drop of supply

I'll get some plastic posts to support the board in the case perhaps: LCBSBM-4-01 ART | LCBSBM-4-01 ART, 6.4mm High Nylon PCB Support for 3.18mm PCB Hole, 12.7 x 12.7mm Base | Richco Looks fine

Also try to keep short (psu & input) cables.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, I've tried now with -9v 0 +9v DC, and, some time to 'burn it in' (40+ hours now) and it sounds truly lovely.

The sound is far smoother than the few hours of play at +-12v DC.

Thank you paulebappie - I am really pleased :)

BTW I am now designing a case (one for the power supply, one for the DAC) and wondered if there is a pin out for the sync green light that you see on the board, and, what voltage LED I would need to use please?

Many thanks again - I am falling in love with this DAC...

Last edited:
BTW: I tried adding a tube-buffer amp in-line with the RAW outputs and could hear no difference whatsoever.

Not sure if you need to 'burn-in' tube amps, I guess perhaps so.

I was going to use it to tone down the very harsh 90's electronica CDs ( the ones where they got a bit crazy with all 44KHz available...)