recommended cabinet size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a rule of thumb or some standard for speaker cabinet size? I built one cabinet (see on the pic) made out of 3/4" plywood. Inside is 12" 8ohm Celestion Creamback. The sound is very good for electric guitar playing in acoustical mode, using my hand built Marshall JCM800 clone.
I am more into lead guitar sound using effect pedals and this current speaker-cabinet combination I am using is not ideal for me. The speaker produces some kind of harsh after tones on high notes when using my distortion pedals. Those tones are not as smooth as I would like to have them. I know there are probably million factors involved in the sound I can hear.

So I am thinking to get a new speaker Access to this page has been denied.
and build a new cabinet. I have no idea how big the cabinet should be. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 101
My current cabinet dimensions what you see on the picture are: 558x508x254mm. I left some room on top portion of the cabinet because I originally wanted to put the amplifier inside there.
Yes, Celestion Classic Lead 80 12" is the new speaker I want to use. Closed back or open back I really don't care and I don't understand the difference anyway.

Last edited:
The speaker produces some kind of harsh after tones on high notes when using my distortion pedals. Those tones are not as smooth as I would like to have them.
Cabinet size has no relation whatsoever to whatever happens on harmonics at high frequencies, period.

Closed back or open back I really don't care and I don't understand the difference anyway.
Why waste (our) time asking then?

The Classic Lead 80 is described as having a powerful yet controlled top-end.

The G12M-65 Creamback is described as having sweet, refined highs while the G12M-75 is described as having a more dynamic top end than the G12M-65.

Which one to choose?

It may be more effective to look to improvements in your guitar pedal chain.

Agree and add: those verbal descriptions are not enough, very subjective, and what´s "warm" to one reviewer is "muddy" to another and so on.

You must see and understand frequency responsen curves but even more watch speaker comparison videos.

Here+s one example, quite useful because they use exact same amp, settings, microphone, position and music scales which to boot are short and repetitive, excellent.

YouTube

As you see, HUGE sound differences, yet exact same cabinet size,

I know you guys are right. There are lot of factors involved to the final sound signature.
This information JMFahey wrote is very valuable to me and I learned something new:

Cabinet size has no relation whatsoever to whatever happens on harmonics at high frequencies, period.
Thank you for the information. I will get the Celestion Lead driver anyway and do some experiments, just because I can.:) Making the cabinet size similar to the Marshall studio cabinet "Galu" mentioned will be my starting point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.