Recommend me some music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glen, ever listen to Laura Nyro? Her most critically-acclaimed work is her early stuff, but I don't like it at all. I prefer her middle- and late-career stuff. It's kind of jazzy, but with pop elements. Her father was a jazz musician, and she had some great jazz musicians in her band at times. The album Smile has the Brecker brothers on horns and Richard Davis (Eric Dolphy's bassist for a time) on bass. If you are moved by music with a social conscience, I think you'd like her cover of Burt Bacharach's Be Aware from her last album, Angel In The Dark (available on SACD too). She does a great version of her own popular song Save The Country on an album that she did live at the Fillmore East in 1971. The original has a bunch of strings and stuff, which I don't care for. But the live version is just her at the piano - fantastic! She really didn't need a band at all, let alone a freaking orchestra as the original version had.

The Wikipedia entry for her is here.

Spanish band La Oreja de Van Gogh with original vocalist Amaia Montero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TUcJMC1xps

and with new vocalist Leire Martinez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh4ReT-9wMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bN3GbQt-4

For my money the best band out there, their albums "El Viaje De Copperpot", "Lo Que Te Conté Mientras Te Hacías La Dormida", "A las cinco en el Astoria" and "Guapa" are must haves.

another good band...

Greek band C:Real with vocalist Eirini Douka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTYIerKlhxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYXUkl-CFOQ

live recordings

as per title, mainly after female vocals, they just do 'it' to me.
my tasts are kate bush, enya, roy orb, dire straights, mellisa etheridge and a few others.

No live recordings HATE them with a passion, I want to hear music, not some yob squeeling louder than the singer/band.

TA........
try PAT METHENY GROUP IN CONCERT no screaming here just glorious music stick it in the car reellaaxxiingg !!!:):D:eek:

OK here are a few:
First my recent fav:
Gareth Emery feat. Lucy Saunders - Sanctuary
Haunting voice.

Some others:
Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde
Thievery Corporation - So Con Voce
Thievery Corporation - Le Monde
Zero 7 - Destiny
These four have some very sultry vocals.

Now some more with more haunting style vocals:
Andain - Summer Calling
Motorcycle - As the rush comes
Chicane - Saltwater
BT - Remember

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as per title, mainly after female vocals, they just do 'it' to me.

No live recordings HATE them with a passion, I want to hear music, not some yob squeeling louder than the singer/band.

TA........

Ok I didn't look through the whole thread but I did search and no matches for Jennifer Warnes. I'd highly recommend her album "famous blue raincoat" (All Leonard Cohen songs).

And don't be too quick to write off live either. Sure some singers suck live, but if they are good then it makes very little difference, and sometimes live is better.

YouTube - Joan Of Arc - Jennifer Warnes & Leonard Cohen (Famous Blue Raincoat) (probably my fave song on the album) there are plenty of other tracks off the album on youtube as well.

Just for comparison this is a live version of the same song (which if you buy the 20th Aniversary remaster will be on it as well as a bonus track). YouTube - Joan of Arc (Live in Belgium 1992) - Jennifer Warnes

And for something completely different (not a recommendation), In my opinion this live rendition of Jealous guy is as good as the studio version :) YouTube - Roxy Music - Jealous Guy [Live,1982] Roxy Music 1982.

Tony.

Hey ,pedro THEGREAT ! You have a taste in heavy produced electronic and disco ...also early '90s italian disco is good :rolleyes:classics such Corona and Cappella ,or Uk :confused: 'west' or 'east' :dunno:can't remember :confused::cool:

not sure if you are being serious or tongue in cheek, but I listen to loads of different things but my biggest guilty pleasure is trance music.

I'm actually not familiar with early 90s disco (I think was called italo over here). May have to check it out, I always love listening to different stuff.

No joking! Pure art in those productions !:p Although they were massively played on the radios -a product-I still can remember 'The rhythm of the night' and 'You got to let the music'...well ,they were just hiring a singer and promote
the 'machine'... a sort of reply to Detroit's Techno where lots of Aretha Franklins were employed to sing over the 'base' .
Currently I can stand only 'trance' played by the Hilight Tribe (France)because they use real instruments .

No joking! Pure art in those productions !:p Although they were massively played on the radios -a product-I still can remember 'The rhythm of the night' and 'You got to let the music'...well ,they were just hiring a singer and promote
the 'machine'... a sort of reply to Detroit's Techno where lots of Aretha Franklins were employed to sing over the 'base' .
Currently I can stand only 'trance' played by the Hilight Tribe (France)because they use real instruments .

Yeah, one of my favorite tracks is Hybrid - Finished Symphony where they hired a russian orchestra. Though I love electronic instruments too. I just vary all over the map. I love BB King and other old blues artists on up through almost everything modern.

Last edited:
Female Vocalists

Just found this thread. Many of the gals listed I love and listen too. Here's some of my favorites not mentioned yet.

Mika Nakashima. Don't need to understand her, just dig the voice.
JpopAsia - Yuki no Hana by Mika Nakashima - a J-Pop video

Ayaka. Same as above.
JpopAsia - Konya Mo Hoshi Ni Dakarete... by ayaka - a J-Pop video

Amanda McBroom

Deanna Kirk

Karrin Allyson (Jazz)

Christina Aguilera

Shelia Chandra (World music-Indian)

Linda Eder (Big voice-power singer)

Connie Dover (Irish)

Feist

Fiona Apple

Laura Pausini

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.