Recommend me some music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, go to LastFM.com and install their software. It's not adwarised and it is amazing. You give it a tag or artist name and it'll watch what you're playing and shape a streaming music station to your favourites, so you hear lots of new sounds. It also lets you add friends, see what you and they are listening to most, recommendations for the day, week, whatever, statistics of plays and notes when artists you like will be playing nearby.

If you like electronic, trip hop, experimental music try;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPcRW1Xm2g (the rest of auchtre isn't amazing)

Also;

Platenterium by plastikman
U-zig
Piano player Hata by Wagon Christ
Aphex Twin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3Wc-37pC4 <--- excessive bad language at start of video for 3:55 before track starts)

Isobel & All Is Full of Love by Bejork are along a similar theme but more commercial sounding.

You won't find a lot of that on the net for free since it's not very mainstream. But you can use the tags in LastFM and you'll find a lot of none shelf music on there.

I can probably send you a few of these tracks if you like that style. Theoretically copyright infringement, but if it's only one or two it may inspire you to get the rest.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
SY said:

As serious as gonorrhea.

:rolleyes: This is a revenge for that Kubrick thing, isn’t it?

Sade's tunes vary in style from “classic” jazz, to R&B and light pop. Some of it isn’t entirely to my taste (light pop), but personal tastes aside, if you can listen to those three racks I linked to and actually maintain a visceral stance against her talent as a vocalist and song writer, then I concede that your condition perhaps is as serious a gonorrhea.

Although some of the music is nice, some of your faves are excessively sentimental (esp Sarah Vaughan) for my liking.
Nina Simone goes second to the lighter (and ultimately more enjoyable) Sade on my favourite female vocalists list.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
SY said:
Sorry if going through my collection to name the artists who appear the most strikes you as "egotistical." It's not like they come over to sing for me.

Wow. Well your collection is obviously bigger than mine – I humbly concede defeat.

BTW, you’ll be able to add to your collection soon as Sade’s 6th studio album is scheduled for release in November.

In the meantime, here is a link to one of those "gonorrhea" songs again.
Halleluja!

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
scott wurcer said:
You guys crack me up [/url]

Seriously, as daft as it may sound, after a pathetic 7 years of a bachelors existence in my own little house, that has been every bit as banal as it has been a flash in the pan (rotting my brains with head-banger crap), that Sade “Pearls” song was a definitive religious experience for me.
Beautiful composition, beautiful lyric and beautifully sung (by an incredibly beautiful woman). I use the term “religious” here loosely as my dogmatic atheism and contempt for religion in general remains intact.

Sobbed like a baby, accrued relief by upping my foreign aid donations to $6k per year, which is about all I can afford at the moment. Looks like I might be eating grains too, in the immediately foreseeable future, if there is to be any hope of finishing off my mega amplifiers. But I suddenly just cannot bring myself to give a toss about a lot of things, as in the whole scheme of it all, they just don’t matter a bit.

That’s a relatively emotion-free, objective summation, I guess. Jesus, I think I must be a bloody communist.

Hope that hasn't cracked anyone up too much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.