Re-hab the 601's?

Hello, all. I posted this in the Electronics & Parts forum also. Maybe that was the wrong spot. Got an old pair of Bose 601's bought new in '77. Two eight's and four 3" in each. Only two tweeters work in each cab. Checked the others-- no workee. The good ones are 8 ohms. I got new replacements but they're 4 ohms. There's only about 5 or 6 parts in the crossover. Can I use these 4 ohm tweeters with the existing crossover? If not, can I replace/add components to the existing crossover to put the speakers back in order? I'm no electronics guy, but I'd feel fairly confident having a go at this with some guidance. The speakers sound really lousy the way they are-- I'd like to restore them. Really. The 8's are also 8 ohm. Any input?
 
Welcome to the world of Mr Fitzpatrick :D

Replacing the tweeters with lower impedance units will require some fiddling. The attenuation network will need adjusting and this will probably throw out the crossover frequency a bit as well. Depending on the complexity of the crossover it may be reasonably easy or it may require more work and maths.
 
Actually....

There are 4 (four) three inch tweeters-if that makes a difference for the series/parallel thing. Yes, I'm out of my element here...I'm a musician running a modest home studio here looking to utilize additional speakers to help my mixes translate better to various systems. Theory being- if you can make a mix sound decent on crappy speakers the mix might translate better to a listeners consumer grade system. Besides.. the 601's aren't doing anything anyways. I do have quality near field monitors as well as a tri-amped system-all Ashly power and active three way crossover. The room is reasonably tuned with bass trapping/absorbers/diffusers. The detail and clarity is amazing. The issue is getting a mix to translate well to all systems without running a CD to everyone's house/car for evaluation. To more playback speakers, the easier the comparison. (Besides, I can't afford a mix/mastering engineer) At least you guys' didn't bash me for mentioning the "Bose" word!!
 
Re: Actually....

ShinOBIWAN said:
You really need to find some wit my son.

Well, I already have half of it.

bluesy said:
At least you guys' didn't bash me for mentioning the "Bose" word!!

Not that I didn't try.

If you want to master for crappy speakers it seems as if you would want to do it for the current generation of crappy home and car speakers rather than for something from the 70's which almost nobody owns.

I also think that you should be mixing in an environment that is closer to that used by your target audience rather than your treated studio.

When I had my stereo store we built a sound room the size of an average car so as to more accurately present car systems.
 
Re: Actually....

Thread's getting derailed. I think we need a re-cap:
bluesy said:
Hello, all. I posted this in the Electronics & Parts forum also. Maybe that was the wrong spot. Got an old pair of Bose 601's bought new in '77. Two eight's and four 3" in each. Only two tweeters work in each cab. Checked the others-- no workee. The good ones are 8 ohms. I got new replacements but they're 4 ohms. There's only about 5 or 6 parts in the crossover. Can I use these 4 ohm tweeters with the existing crossover? If not, can I replace/add components to the existing crossover to put the speakers back in order? I'm no electronics guy, but I'd feel fairly confident having a go at this with some guidance. The speakers sound really lousy the way they are-- I'd like to restore them. Really. The 8's are also 8 ohm. Any input?


bluesy said:
There are 4 (four) three inch tweeters-if that makes a difference for the series/parallel thing. Yes, I'm out of my element here...I'm a musician running a modest home studio here looking to utilize additional speakers to help my mixes translate better to various systems. Theory being- if you can make a mix sound decent on crappy speakers the mix might translate better to a listeners consumer grade system. Besides.. the 601's aren't doing anything anyways. I do have quality near field monitors as well as a tri-amped system-all Ashly power and active three way crossover. The room is reasonably tuned with bass trapping/absorbers/diffusers. The detail and clarity is amazing. The issue is getting a mix to translate well to all systems without running a CD to everyone's house/car for evaluation. To more playback speakers, the easier the comparison. (Besides, I can't afford a mix/mastering engineer) At least you guys' didn't bash me for mentioning the "Bose" word!!
You'd have to redesign the crossover for the change in tweeter impedance, and you should replace all the tweeters, not just the blown ones.
Or, what the heck, just wire in what you've got and give it a try. You're ok with mid-fi, right?
 

ShinOBIWAN

diyAudio Member
2004-02-25 9:13 pm
UK
Cal Weldon said:
Ah, but we're all still part of the commonwealth.

Doesn't really have much to do with sharing common humour though. You only have to take a look at the rubbish that comes over from the US such as Friends etc. Strange how its a big hit over here with the the 14 year olds ;) Most adults turn it over after 30 seconds.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.