Rate my 2-way horn speaker + subwoofer

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Drumberg is right that while not knowing the actual effect of the filters there's not much point speculating.

It's important to know that the difference between filter types (when done to the letter) is only partly due to the filter type, but also very much due to how the drivers get adjusted.. with their preexisting flaws and the preexisting blending requirement. In other words some of the differences you might hear can be accidental/unintended.

I believe Joseph was referring to the sonic qualities of a low qts driver (12pe32) vs that of what he'd consider a "subwoofer" which in his eyes, have a high(er) q.
Maybe I read into that wrong
As for the rising sensitivity...its a non issue...filters

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think these specifications are linked. The filter changes the "sonic qualities" (group delay), and brings back the bass level which wants the excursion which was in this driver reduced with the low Q and high fs, and traded for efficiency.. setting a new level for said bass.

It's not an overlap but a spread. The CD would have the 1272hz setting and the woofer the 786hz setting. (these are approximate as well).
But this means that the table in that article is wrong labeled. They switched HP and LP factors.

Viper_user, I tried LR (and Butterworth as well) but had best measurements with Bessel. Maybe some further testing is needed. But in my room it doesn't make sense. I need a hall to make better measurements or a place for ground plane measurements. But at the moment I'm to lazy for this.

The integration of the 12PE32 is okay imo. I EQed the subs from scratch. I have a HP at 120Hz in the 12PE32 just to lower the excursion for better midrange. The front subs are crossed at 120Hz with Bessel filters. The back subs are crossed at 60Hz and delayed because of the physical distance. So most of the kick bass comes from the front subs but it sounds okay in my ears. The response is flat down to 20-30Hz.

But I'm still pissed off. I wanted to "improve" the positioning of the speakers. That means I corrected the angle and made sure the distance to both speakers is equal. But now the phantom center switched to the left. It seems like the left speaker is louder und voices come from the left. But both speakers are 100% equal in loudness within a range of less than 1dB. I think this is because one commode is higher (and maybe works as an extension to the baffle) than the other. To get a better phantom center I need to turn the left speaker down by ~3-4dB. I already thought about switching the whole interior of the room by 180° so I have the window between the speakers. But Idk if this will make things better or worse...