Raspberry Streamer Hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay (I was on holiday!)

I try to reply to all the positive and constructive comments I read:

@mrgarison

I also tried Moode over Volumio just for fun, but I prefer Volumio, it's italian (so I'm very proud of it) and it's much more easier and user friendly and nicer UI than Moode, at least for me!

No, I never tried to use only USB of the Raspberry. I read on the web of not doing this but prefer for many reason the HAT, less noise, much accurance on the music etc..

@linuxfan
First of all many many thanks! You give me so precious information. I owe you a beer!

Here my replies!

What power supply?

Yeah, I know, it's difficult to have a right or wrong answer, It depends on own setup, BUT, every professional digital audio gear (amplifiers, DAC, CD) have one so....

Yeah, you said right, the Cirrus Logic it's 4-5 dollar DAC, I think the Advance Acoustic guys had to save the money somewhere, it's a pity. Fortunately for me I don't have to play 24 bit FLAC files, but only webradio streaming FLAC and spotify!
But you have right, the allo boss you linked seems very good. I only have to understand if matches with the remotepi.

Just what I looking for!

I prefer not, cause I want to keep all the stuff in a new aluminum case I'm going to built (I'll posting some photos too)

Done in the new case! Same answer for the IR sensor!

The EMI/RFI shielding tape is a good tip, maybe do you have some link to share?

Perfect

Okay, this is my turning point question: let's imagine that I purchase the allo boss and replace over the audiophonics board. And of course I will power it separately from RemotePi (or raspberry) with a linear power supply.
So I will have:
1 LPS for allo boss
1 SMPS for RemotePi
1 power supply for the display (let's say the Leicke power supply I own already)
So many power supply and plugs! My intention is to keep all the stuff inside the case and with less plug externally. How can I achieve that?
I imagine something like this:
Whity's Audiophile HiFiBerry Streamer in a Classic Stereo Case | Max2Play
It's a challenge, I know, but maybe with a help of a good sound engineer :D

this is the power supply linked:
Audiophile Super-Netzteile, High-End Analog Netzteile für DA-Wandler; Raspberry Pi

I found another interesting thread at volumio, of a guy that wants to build something very similar:
HiFi Streamer : Build thread - Diy Volumio Projects - Volumio

this is the chinese power supply using at first, maybe it's a cheap solution for the remotepi and allo boss?
25VA Ultra-Basso rumore uscita alimentatore Linear corrente continua 12V 2A UPGRADE DAC | eBay

many thanks!

Thank you for that feedback. I'll give Volumio a try

??? Gian, that's a very strange choice.
If you set up a hifi system centred around a good digital playback device in the form of a Raspberry Pi, why do you need a CD player at all? It's like standing with one foot in the 21st century, but keeping one foot stuck in the 1980's!! Surely it's better to rip your CD collection to hard drive (or network-attached storage) and store your CD's away in the attic!
Hello linuxfan,
maybe you are right for the cd player but I lack the time to digitalize all my cds and honestly, despite being 30 years old, I feel old inside as far as the hifi is concerned, in fact I have recently brought to life my grandfather's old turntable, a Yamaha YP-700, with a new needle and you can't understand the satisfaction of playing my Jazz LPs!
I found the used CA 740C near me for 350 euros but it's not worth it, I think I'll buy a used CA Topaz CD10 and retire the Sony.
For your advice on DACs, I think that for now I am postponing everything (also because you have to add a good linear power supply to the DAC you mentioned to me, let's say another 100 euros more) At this point I save them for something else. I am not so convinced of being able to obtain a qualitative leap that justifies everything. In addition to having another or more appliance to turn on! Now, I was able to eliminate from the streamer one of the two wall power supplies (actually I'm using only the LEICKE) and I am so satisfied with the sound!

What I'd really like to hear in my hifi system would be radios broadcasting in HiRes 96kHz / 24 bit Lossless FLAC stream,like this one:
Mother Earth Radio - High resolution music tuned to the Faslak's Frequency ~429hz
but for now it's complicated and all systems I've tried fail, but that's another story!

You also convinced me that a linear power supply is not needed for HAT cards like mine.
As soon as I finish the case I will put some photos!

Thanks

Gian

Last edited:
I lack the time to digitalize all my cds
Yes, that is a problem. My digital music collection has been built up slowly since 2012. And still it takes time to check the tag information and get cover art.
But it's still possible - I read an interesting article online where someone had 1000 CD's, and their plan was to rip 10 CD's each weekend, so that over 2 years the task would be complete!

I have recently brought to life my grandfather's old turntable, a Yamaha YP-700, with a new needle and you can't understand the satisfaction of playing my Jazz LPs!
Yeah I understand. In 1983 my first hifi system was based around a Rega Planar 3 turntable with Ortofon MC20 cartridge. In recent years I have spent big money on a DAC trying to emulate that analogue sound! I still have this turntable in storage, and I can't bring myself to sell it, but I don't want to use it - too much incovenience!

I think I'll buy a used CA Topaz CD10
The SMSL Sanskrit DAC will cost the same, or slightly less, and when used in combination with your Sony CDP-XE330 CD player I think it will beat the Topaz CD10 for sound quality ... and the SMSL DAC will also be a good upgrade for your Raspberry Pi.

you have to add a good linear power supply to the DAC you mentioned
No, the DAC's I mentioned do not require an upgraded power supply - they have been designed with good power supply filtering, and good low-noise voltage regulators.
You might obtain a slight improvement by adding an upgraded power supply, but it's not essential. I think the ALLO Nirvana would be a good possibility at $59, but if you want a "bargain" option - buy an older model iPhone charger - apparently these have very good noise and ripple figures.

What I'd really like to hear in my hifi system would be radios broadcasting in HiRes 96kHz / 24 bit Lossless FLAC stream,like this one:
Mother Earth Radio - High resolution music tuned to the Faslak's Frequency ~429hz
You should be able to add internet radio stations to Volumio -
Adding/removing internet radio stations - Help - Volumio

Hi there,
As I promise I finally finish my streamer project, with the help of my girlfriend's dad!

Some photos:

We use for the most part of it, recycle things (as the aluminum chassis or the wood top cover)
I'm very happy with the result, superb audio quality!

You should be able to add internet radio stations to Volumio
Yes I know, but in Volumio, there is a bug with FLAC HQ streams and after one track, it stops playing music. This is the answer from official blog....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.